Author Topic: More on the no foil verses foil Spareribs  (Read 1764 times)

Offline Savannahsmoker

More on the no foil verses foil Spareribs
« Reply #-1 on: May 23, 2013, 03:39:05 AM »
Spareribs smoke, no foil verses foil tests we done awhile back.

We have been having a debate in the family about foiled or no-foiled spareribs so my wife and I decided to do a test.
Two racks of spareribs both prepare the same way.  We will foil one and not foil the other during the smoke.
My wife applying mohunken butt rub and oranges.

Wrapping in plastic wrap and into the fridge overnight.

Next day I took the ribs out of the fridge and allow them to come up on temperature for about an hour and a half.  I spread a thin coat of yellow mustard and  more rub on the ribs.

The pit is running at 225 degrees so in go the ribs.

Three hours in and I foiled one rack with a mixture of apple juice, apple cider and EVOO.

Five hours in, time to remove the rib rack from the foil.  The top of the rib look fine but the bottom  looked mushy.

Now put on the finishing sauce and turn up temperature to 300 degrees and set the sauce.  This should be 15 to 30 minutes.  The higher temp sets the finishing sauce and gives it a glossy finish.

Ribs been in the smoker for six hours, time to pull, cover and rest for 30 minutes.  The rack in the rear is the foiled rack.  Both look good but the foil rack shrunk more losing more meat and was really limp when I pulled it. I like some texture in my ribs, more like competition ribs.  Taste test coming up.

I went to heavy on the sauce but that is what the grandchildren like.

Now for the family judging. 

First, the non-foiled ribs.  Cut like butter, has a smoke ring and looks like it is moist.

Second, the foiled ribs.  Cut like butter, has a smoke ring and looks like it is more moist than the non-foiled rib

Now test for how easily the ribs pull apart.

First, the non-foiled ribs. Pull apart easily but did not fall apart and moisture ooze out.

Second, the foiled ribs.  Pull apart easily but did not fall apart and much more moisture oozed out.

Taste test by the family of six adults and three grandchildren were 8 for foil and 1 for non-foil.  The foiled ribs seem to have more moisture and were completely falling off the bone as I expected.  The taste of both were equally great.  The non-foiled ribs, tasting as good or better to me, were a little tougher but I do like some bite in my ribs like comp ribs turn in.

Foiled Ribs Win 8 out of 1 but it was very close.  So close that maybe it was a difference between the cuts of ribs.

Bottom line is I will smoke ribs both ways.  If I use a stick burner, or charcoal like a Weber Preformer I will always foil but in Traeger it is either way. I and my wife like non foiled ribs and grand children like ribs foiled.  Wife an I do not like fall off the bone ribs.
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline Sam3

Re: More on the no foil verses foil Spareribs
« on: May 23, 2013, 05:50:35 AM »
Very informative post, thanks for taking the time to share this.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 05:52:22 AM by Sam3 »
MAK 1 Star #385
Bradley OBS w/mods
WSM 22.5
Weber Platinum
Char Broil BEESR
La Caja China
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 08:06:27 AM »
Great post.  I think foil will win almost every time unless you have the test done by those few of us (definitely myself included) who do them and prefer them no foil.  It is just an easier taste and texture for most folks when they are foiled IMO.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 08:18:07 AM »
Very well done. It seems like most folks (especially my family) like "fall off the bone" ribs so I mostly use foil. This weekend I am doin some spares but without foil and I am gonna finish em on the grill.

I bet both style of ribs you did were good eatin and we all appreciate this real good post you provided for us.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 08:37:02 AM »
Art,  Thanks for such a great post.  Of course, it would not have been as good without Sonja's help and supervision.  My wife and daughter seem to like the foiled ribs better because of the tenderness.  Some I cooked last week were really falling off the bone and they loved them. I find it's a little harder to control what happens when the ribs are foiled because they cannot be eyeballed as well when cooking.  One thing I do with mine, I think I picked this up from muebe...if it wasn't him it was somebody else...and that is cutting the ribs into individual serving sizes and finishing them off on the grill---I use the grill on the SRG. 

As to your voting count...remember what was said in Animal Farm.  "All are equal but some are more equal than others."  So the quality of the 1 vote may outnumber the quantity of the 8 votes.

Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 09:16:19 AM »
Very well done. It seems like most folks (especially my family) like "fall off the bone" ribs so I mostly use foil. This weekend I am doin some spares but without foil and I am gonna finish em on the grill.

I bet both style of ribs you did were good eatin and we all appreciate this real good post you provided for us.

Smoke you could always boil the ribs at first just like Sizzler does :P

Ok back in my corner now :-\
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Pappymn

More on the no foil verses foil Spareribs
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 09:41:02 AM »
What a great post. Thank you for posting!
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 10:22:58 AM »
Thanks for the great post and thoughts. Helps a lot!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline SiFumar

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 10:30:04 AM »
I really like spares!  What a great write up!  I've not seen the oranges layered on then wrapped up.  Does it add flavor? Tenderness?  It will be something I will have to try.
Pit Barrel Cooker
Bradley Original
Bradley Counter Top
SRG
Char Broil Grill

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 01:48:31 PM »
As usual Savannah does some great tests! I do them both ways but think the wife and I prefer ribs closer to fall off the bone so prefer to foil. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 06:08:35 PM »
One point to bring up is if I am doing multiple racks of ribs or butts I foil to equalize the finish time.
Foil is the great equalizer.
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 11:39:33 AM »
Thanks Art. I have honestly never done ribs with foil, I may have to try it.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware