Author Topic: How much outside fat on a butt?  (Read 622 times)

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
How much outside fat on a butt?
« Reply #-1 on: May 24, 2013, 11:37:30 AM »
I just took a 10 pound butt, cut it in half and trimmed all the outside fat that I could off of each piece. My thought being that outside fat doesn't contributed anything to the flavor of the meat when smoked.  It's the internal marbling that adds flavor.  Granted, the drippings can be used for other things such  as a sauce or whatever.  Anyway, I weighed the fat which I trimmed off and it was 1lb 5 oz which was 15%.   
Also, when I went to freeze the two halves I found I had no vacuum sealer bags larger enough to hold either one.  So, I wrapped each in waxed paper, tied with butcher twine and placed in each in a one gallon Zip-Lock Freezer bag.  Wanting to get the maximum amount of air out of the bag, I closed the zip top of the bag all the way except for about 1/2'' on one end.  I then immersed the bag in water and maneuvered and pressed the bag, being careful to keep only the opened corner above the water level, until I had used the water pressure to displace the air in the freezer bag.  Then I zipped the bag shut.  Was it as good as my vacuum sealer?  Nope.  But it worked in a pinch.  I've heard of using a straw to suck the air out but I find this method to work better for me.  I may not be as good a sucker as other people are.

Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline Pappymn

How much outside fat on a butt?
« on: May 24, 2013, 12:40:09 PM »
I do what captain does, cuz I don't have a vac sealer.

I buy the mile long box of wrap from Costco. Great deal
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
Re: How much outside fat on a butt?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 02:06:28 PM »
I like that idea and will use it on the big roll of plastic wrap I have.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline RickB

Re: How much outside fat on a butt?
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 03:33:23 PM »
Dee, even meat I put in vacuum bags I wrap in plastic wrap before I put it in a vacuum bag or ZipLok
the plastic wrap wraps tighter to the meat, less air contact
works great. never any freezer burn

Same here. It also helps them from bleeding out.