Author Topic: Smokin' Ribs for Memorial Day.  (Read 2353 times)

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
Smokin' Ribs for Memorial Day.
« Reply #-1 on: May 27, 2013, 12:23:53 PM »
Hello Everyone,

Got up this morning very early for me, went down to the VA cemetery and paid my respects to my brothers. I really do not know anyone there, but I felt compelled to pay tribute to their souls and their contributions to this nation.

When I returned, I began the preparation process for the ribs.

I put on my home made rub and began the fermentation process.

I picked up some nice "butter and sugar" corn at the market and prepared them by placing butter in the tin foil wrap and rolling them up so that they will steam inside the foil. When I did this on gas grill at 500 degrees, the corn began to carmelize. Since they will be in for probably 3 hours at 225, I don't think that will happen.

So now I have the ribs fermenting and the corn wrapped and the apple juice spray ready.

When I was ready to start the Yoder this morning, I discovered that I had no power. So, my first instinct was to go the fuse box and check the breakers. Nope. Then I went to the outside to check if the GFI tripped. Nope. Then my wife got involved, check the plug in the outlet, the plug in my extension cord and the plug from the Yoder. Sure enough she found and corrected the problem. The Yoder has a plug that literally connects to the back of the Yoder Controller. She pushed this back in as I must have pulled to hard on it last night when I disconnected the Yoder from extension cord as I do every time that I use the Yoder. I do not know if I would survive without that woman.

At that point, I lit the new A-MAZE-N pellet tube and let that burn with cover open for about 12 minutes. Then I started the Yoder and brought it to 225.

I just want you guys to know that I did not do this alone. I had support from my trusted little girl, Dixie.

The next thing that I did was to synchronize the Maverick ET-732 and make sure that these were operational. I did not use the food probe as I cannot see putting the probe into something that thin. But I wanted to be able to occasionally check grill temperature during the day while I am watching old movies on Turner Classic Movies.

Then the ribs were staged before being placed on the grill. 

The ribs are on. I am going to follow the process that Smokeasaurus used to cook ribs recently and see if I can do this uncovered.

I am definitely convinced that I will be purchasing a thermal jacket for the Yoder. Every time that you open and close that box, an extra ordinary amount of heat loss occurs. In addition, I believe that I will be able to control the heat level with lower pellet utilization. Thanks to the input here, that's what I am going to do and as soon as I speak with Byron from Yoder, I will start the process.

I will report back as the cook continues.

Have a great Memorial Day! Appreciate what we have.

With kind regards,

Ed

An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: Smokin' Ribs for Memorial Day.
« on: May 27, 2013, 01:00:35 PM »
Ed that happened to me. I tried starting my Memphis once and nothing. I was like WTF! Started checking plugs and the realized it had came loose from the back of the controller housing. Dang dog!

Good luck on the ribs. I will be watching for the finish ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 01:27:08 PM »
Even with the thermal blanket the temps will drop when having the door open......just the nature of the beast I guess......

Good luck with those ribs :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 02:11:58 PM »
Great post. Looking forward to your results!
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 02:49:12 PM »
Just a midway update on progress. I have been spraying the ribs every hour on the hour with apple juice. I just put the corn on the upper shelf. I found that the upper shelf in the Yoder is proving to be very helpful in more than one instance. I have been using it a lot lately. I thought that I would be using it once in a while but that was proved false.

Here's the corn and the ribs. The temperature has been a steady 225 degrees.

Here's a picture of that thin blue smoke coming out of the stack. We always have the wind blowing here in New Braunfels.

I'll touch base later.

With kind regards,

Ed

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 03:00:45 PM »
Like the way this cook is shaping up. You could spray the apple juice every 30 minutes if you like...just sayin.............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 03:41:13 PM »
...watching.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 07:01:17 PM »
Hello Everyone,

Well, we are done. I took the ribs out of the smoker at 5:00 PM after a 6 hour cook. The corn was also removed at the same time after spending four hours in the smoker. I had no idea how the corn wood turn out since I have never smoked corn. I have grilled corn on the gas grill at high temperature and it was very good. So this is a first.

Here are some pictures of the finished product.

And, here is what some refer to the as the "money shot".

Here it is plated.

I was very surprised and pleased on how moist and tender they were. I had always foiled the ribs after 3 hours. Well, that was fun. And that was good eating.

Have a great day!

With kind regards,

Ed

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 07:10:17 PM »
Looks like some great results on those ribs. Great post today!
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 07:18:53 PM »
Ed the ribs look great! So will non foiled ribs be you cook of choice in the future?
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 07:40:51 PM »
I sure hope that plate is for me Ed. Us fellow Yoder owners got to stick together  ;) ;)

My rib foiling days are over after my cook yesterday and seeing yours.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 07:44:44 PM »
I sure hope that plate is for me Ed. Us fellow Yoder owners got to stick together  ;) ;)

Better not let Sparky read that ???
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2013, 08:06:11 PM »

Better not let Sparky read that ???

Where is Sparky anyways?? There hasn't been a Sparky around here for a while.....................Sparky where are you??

Didn't mean to start to derail your thread Ed, Sparky is one of more colorful characters around here, he is our rib king  8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2013, 08:55:13 PM »
The only reason that I did not foil the ribs is because I read the threads on smoking ribs without foil by muebe and smokeasaurus. So I thought I would give it a try. I am glad that I did. However, I am not going to sauce the ribs so much as I did. My wife and I had sauce all over our faces. I might just finish them with apple juice and leave the sauce on the side.

I exchange messages with Eric from Simi, and he will be getting Yoder thermal jackets in by the end of next week. He has a great price and shipping is free so I am going to go with him.

Tomorrow, I have go to the VA for an 8:15 post operative appointment. A week ago last Friday, I had a mega hernia repaired. What a relief. I really had no repercussions and I felt great the very next day. They put me back together the way I should have been. So, after this i am going to take a part the Yoder, and give it a good cleaning. It's time for new tin foil on the heat diffuser, vacuum out the combustian chamber and give the grates a good cleaning. They really are not too bad as I have been lightly spraying PAM with canola oil every time I use it and then brush it down afterwards.

Just for your information, I cooked these ribs at 225 degrees and the ambient outside temperature was 88 degrees. The cook lasted 6 hours. I used B and B pellets from B and B Charcoal which is a Texas company that supplies Academy Sports in our area. The pellets are a 60/40 blend of Red Oak and mesquite. I used 18 cups of pellets for a total of 6.1875 lbs. of pellets. This gave me an average use of 1.03 lbs. of pellets per hour. That's a little better than my cook for the port butt where I averaged 1.2 lbs. of pellets per hour at the same 225 degrees. This surprised me as I was opening and closing the lid to spray the ribs with apple juice every hour and then every 1/2 hour as per instructions from smokeasaurus. My records show that the ambient temperature for the pork butt was between 75 and 83 degrees. There must be a correlation between ambient temperature and the usage of pellets. Now I am really curious to measure pellet consumption when I dress the Yoder in its new Thermal Jacket.

I really enjoy smoking. It is fun. And, it is really fun to associate with the folks on this forum who are continually in your corner and wishing you success.

Have a great day!

With kind regards,

Ed
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 08:57:46 PM by veryolddog »

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2013, 09:38:58 PM »
I like a thinner sauce as a glaze. Gives them a nice shine. I like shine!
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109