Tips, Tricks & Just Good Advice! > Burn it in the Back Yard with Hub!

The Tao of Barbeque

<< < (2/4) > >>

Steve:
Thats a great read by I think its way simpler than that, great BBQ in the mouth of person enjoying it at that moment. Isn't it all about the enjoyment of the flavors being had by that person eating it. It doesn't have to be "competition" quality, it only has to be"damn thats good", or "I really like that, thats great BBQ".  That what we all hope to achieve, somebody enjoying our effort. And I totally agree with it being a life long learning process, change happens and if you don't go with it, you'll be left far behind. Just my opinion

Ka Honu:
Steve is close; it's BBQ, folks, not world peace.  It's quality is defined by how much you liked it, how much fun it was for you to make or go out for, and how it compared to your previous experiences (although a little positive reinforcement from friends and family never hurts).

teesquare:
Because BBQ is typicallya social event ( unless one is a recluse or anti-social ;) )we all strive to make it the best we can. This has led to the number of competition organizations and judging of BBQ.

And  - without the constraints of competition - I believe most folks can make better BBQ at home. Just having the time to marinade longer is but one of the reasons...
But, I do agree with what Hub has said, and - for me the bottom line also simple:

Anybody can make good BBQ....But when you taste great BBQ....It can be a transforming experience. Good BBQ is not that much better than so-so, or O.K. BBQ. Great BBQ is an echelon above good. Not a little better.

Great BBQ takes into account ALL of the aspects of great food. Appearance, smell, texture, moisture content, and the complexity of what most of us just call "taste"...Which has 5 different actual tastes combined in different values/balance in order to produce the overall taste.

Yes - one would think that "the masses" can judge what is good BBQ or not...But I will stand on this: It is not necessarily true. I have eaten a lot of really marginal ( at best :) ) BBQ in towns that only had one BBQ joint....And folks there thought it was good. But they had nothing to compare it to, and it may be all that they had grown up knowing as BBQ

If none of this makes sense to you - you owe it to yourself to wonder if you have ever really had GREAT BBQ ;D.

ACW3:
Hub,
You did it again!  Another quality piece of writing.  You sure have a knack for picking the topics, too.

Art

bbqchef:
Damn! I want  to be smoking what he did when that was written... Way to deep for me <lol>!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version