Author Topic: Grilled chili dogs for a cruddy day.  (Read 3220 times)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Grilled chili dogs for a cruddy day.
« Reply #-1 on: June 04, 2013, 07:30:07 PM »
So I am at my parents house about 3:30 in the morning (I live next door to them), I got the lights clicked on and the coffee started and I was uncovering their birds when I hear a big thud and my Mama screaming.

I run down the hall and my Pops fell into the wall trying to put his jeans on in the dark standing up ( Pops is 84 and still works a 40 hour week).

We get him into his chair and luckily nothing is broke. He hit his head but no probs there. He is pretty sore and refused to go down to the hospital for a check.

I get mad and go into work. After a couple of hours I get that guilty,worried feeling and come home early to check on him.

I get a darn ticket for some no right turn between the hours of 7 and 9 in the morning (sign, what sign, I didnt see no sign)  >:(

Then I go to warm him up some leftovers for breakfast so he can take an aspirin and their microwave starts spitting lightning.

So off I go to Wal-Mart to get them a microwave.

The remainder of the day calmed down but Pops still will not go and have himself looked at. He is a stubborn old scudder  8)

To make myself feel better I fire up the Weber-Q and set it on lo and slowly grilled up some hot dogs and topped em off with some mustard and chili.

Gonna smoke a couple of bowls (corn cobb) and go to bed super early. As the day has gone on I have gotten more upset about seeing my hero laying on the floor not being able to get up.......sure hope tomorrow is a better day  :( at least I am full  ;)

Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: Grilled chili dogs for a cruddy day.
« on: June 04, 2013, 07:36:32 PM »
Sorry to hear that Smoke! You will probably be just as stubborn as him when you are 84 ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 07:37:55 PM »
I am just about as ornery as him at 53  8) 8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 07:41:45 PM »
Hard watching the aging process Smoke...my Mom is in late stage 6 of 7stages - Alzheimer's.... Sounds like your Pops still has his wits about him. Stubborn? Sure - but ain't that part of what you admired about him your whole life ;) ;D?
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Pappymn

Grilled chili dogs for a cruddy day.
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 07:45:42 PM »
Your story made me feel better about my crappy day. Gives me a shot of perspective.

Sorry about your dad Smoke
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 08:00:15 PM »
He is doing better this evening. He had -3- chili dogs and now he is having a cup of joe and a Marlboro Red....and he took tomorrow off. He is a Federal Marshall and he gets something like 6 weeks of off time a year......... :)   Heck, I am just happy to get a three day weekend  ;D
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 08:10:35 PM »
Glad Pops is doing better, sounds like he has a good  appetite.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 08:14:40 PM »
Hard watching the aging process Smoke...my Mom is in late stage 6 of 7stages - Alzheimer's.... Sounds like your Pops still has his wits about him. Stubborn? Sure - but ain't that part of what you admired about him your whole life ;) ;D?

I haven't handled the fact that my parents are aging too well. It seems like they got old overnight. Sometimes I walk in their living room and want to ask them "What have you done with my parents?" It is something we all have to face and all you can do is just enjoy them as much as hopefully they have enjoyed us..........

"What have you done with my parents?"    that question is for Father Time.......and I really already know the answer  :(
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 09:08:12 PM »
Boy, am I glad I ain't getting more stubborner as I get older.  Of course, I've been quiet and easy going, willing to bend with the wind, and do whatever it takes to please others all my life...just like Turtle has. As a result, when we leave middle age in another decade, no one will have to worry about us not doing what they want. Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 09:19:02 PM »
Dee your forum pictures have seemed to improve as you have gotten older 8)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 10:44:42 PM »
When over 70 it i not stubborn it is experience. :)

Hope all is well.
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 11:48:36 PM »
Smoke, I empathize with you. I lost my mom last year, and my dad at 84 has had some balance problems - but refuses any "help". It's easy to get frustrated - I know. And I know that guilty, uneasy feeling as well. I am happy for you that you are there. My dad is 450 miles away, so mostly it's phone calls now. I'm glad this worked out ok and I know you'll have some better days. I bet the chili dogs were good - and three isn't too bad! Gotta love the vacation time! My dad has a pack of smokes a day... has for 65 years. Sorry the day was so bad, but glad it worked out in the end. You are a good son.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 12:53:00 AM »
Smoke at 71 now I sometimes look at my wife and myself and wonder how did we get here? Then I stop and think, we are together and we had a heck of a lot of fun getting here and will continue to enjoy as long as we can! Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2013, 04:25:17 AM »
Just glad to hear that he is OK Smoke.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2013, 08:29:20 AM »
Thanks everyone :)

Pops is pretty sore this morning and wants to see his Dr. Of course that is why I left work early yesterday. So I will have to probably leave work early again today and I am not going down that street with that no right turn sign  :D :D

This keeps up, I am gonna have to give Eric an IOU for pellets.... ;D ;D
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven