Author Topic: Just a small butt  (Read 2015 times)

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
Just a small butt
« Reply #-1 on: June 10, 2013, 11:15:52 AM »
Just a small bone-in butt ( 4 1/2 #)... After all there's just two of us!

Slathered with CYM and generously coated with Tim's "Fine Swine" (I was too lazy to make my traditional rub). Marinated in plastic wrap overnight.

Onto the Yoder.... 230 degrees F. with sugar maple in the hopper and apple in the A-Maze-N tube. Maverick set up to monitor the cook from my office.
Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
Re: Just a small butt
« on: June 10, 2013, 11:17:04 AM »
This is gonna be good :P
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 11:27:10 AM »
I like a small butt!

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 11:33:10 AM »
Looks good, there are only two of us too. The son and wife are not good at helping eat up left overs so I need to start thinking smaller too! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 12:02:47 PM »
"Only two of us" is an issue?  I'm not sure I get the concept.  There are only two of us but if I'm going to take the time and energy to do one small butt, I'll do two large ones and freeze the extra for future use.  That way I only prep (make rub, inject, etc.), cook, and clean up once instead of four times and (most importantly) don't have to decide two days ahead that I want pulled pork.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 12:11:19 PM »
"Only two of us" is an issue?  I'm not sure I get the concept.  There are only two of us but if I'm going to take the time and energy to do one small butt, I'll do two large ones and freeze the extra for future use.  That way I only prep (make rub, inject, etc.), cook, and clean up once instead of four times and (most importantly) don't have to decide two days ahead that I want pulled pork.

Pull your head back in the shell...
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 12:24:00 PM »

Hey - anybody got a good recipe for Turtle soup? :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 12:28:10 PM »
You know, Ka Honu, you are absolutely correct in what you say.That is the most cost effective and efficient way to do things.

However, I am in the same situation as BBQChef with my wife and I as the primary recipients and benefactors of the results of BBQ except for Sundays when our family meets for dinner. We could freeze, and we do, when it is appropriate. But.........I enjoy the process of smoking just as much as the process of eating the smoked food. In my case, I would rather smoke multiple times during the week and enjoy and savor the freshness of the food. I enjoy running my pellet grill. And, now, that I have ordered a stick burner as well, I will enjoy the process of starting a charcoal and wood fire and keeping it at temperature or using it for direct grilling even if it one rib eye steak that we split, a couple of hamburgers, or a small pork butt.

It may be silly to some, but it sure means a lot to me. I am 70, not that it means anything much, but I sure look forward to starting the pellet grill, preparing the food, monitoring its progress and enjoying the ambiance of having my one cold beer for the day on the patio. This is the real fun in my life and it gives me something to look forward to and do.

With kind regards,

Ed

An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 12:36:06 PM »
This was just a small butt I picked up for the two of us but since my brother, daughter and SIL are coming down for my sister's funeral at the end of the week I'll need to get a bigger one to cook enough... then I'll have more to freeze!

Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 01:11:59 PM »
Dang, Capt, couldn't have said it better...except what Ed said...

"I have ordered a stick burner as well, I will enjoy the process of starting a charcoal and wood fire and keeping it at temperature or using it for direct grilling even if it one rib eye steak that we split, a couple of hamburgers, or a small pork butt. "

Great minds think alike!

just sayin'...
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 03:24:58 PM »
Small butts are OK by me.  ;)
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2013, 04:42:36 PM »
I understand what y'all are saying but ...

•  First and foremost, I'm lazy and hate the cleanup part and would much rather do it once than 4 times.  I enjoy the prep and cook, but the cleanup sucks and SWMBO won't do it.
     •  When it comes to pulled pork I disagree with Jack on the "better fresh" thing. I think frozen & reheated is as good or better than fresh.  Ribs, poultry, etc. okay, but we were talking about pulled pork.
     •  Did I mention I hate the cleanup part?

tee - May all your soup taste awful.  Forever.

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2013, 04:48:38 PM »

Hey - anybody got a good recipe for Turtle soup? :D
Best Creole Turtle Soups

As opposed to the European style of turtle soup, which is likely to be a clear consomme. Yuck, compared with these.

1. Brennan’s. French Quarter: 417 Royal. 504-525-9711. Made exclusively with turtle meat, a great texture and spice level, and the perfect subtle tomato component. This is on my mind as soon as I even begin making plans to dine at Brennan's.

2. Commander’s Palace. Garden District: 1403 Washington Ave.. 504-899-8221. The definitive modern version with spinach has become lighter in recent times, and less appealing. It's made with veal as well as turtle meat, which gives it a milder flavor that appeals to more people.

3. Court of Two Sisters. French Quarter: 613 Royal. 504-522-7273. An outstanding version of the old-fashioned turtle soup, with flavors of lemon, sherry, pepper, and turtle balancing each other out into a superb whole.

4. Cannon’s. Uptown: 4141 St. Charles Ave.. 504-891-3200. A big surprise, and the best dish in this generally just-okay restaurant. The turtle soup recipe survived several ownership and name changes since the old Stephen and Martin's--or at least that's how it tastes to me. A good bit of spinach. Aromatic and big in flavor.

5. Muriel's. French Quarter: 801 Chartres. 504-568-1885. Another descendant of the Commander's version, but very well made at that--enough so that the place is becoming famous for it.

6. Palace Cafe. CBD: 605 Canal. 504-523-1661. Like many things here, this version recalls the cooking that Commander's Palace was doing ten years ago. Terrific. the same recpe is served at the Bourbon House. (French Quarter: 144 Bourbon. 504-522-0111.)

7. Arnaud’s. French Quarter: 813 Bienville. 504-523-5433. A little tomato, a lot of turtle meat, and a fine spice level.

8. Mandina’s. Mid-City: 3800 Canal. 504-482-9179. ||Mandeville: 4300 La. 22. 985-674-9883. An excellent potage, with the classic Creole turtle soup flavor--even though there's not a speck of turtle meat in there.

9. Cafe 615 (Da Wabbit). Gretna: 615 Kepler, 504-365-1225. Surprisingly delicious, made in a very old-fashioned style with more hard-boiled egg than one usually finds anymore.

10. Bon Ton Cafe. CBD: 401 Magazine. 504-524-3386. They're famous for their turtle soup, made in the very old style, with a good bit of lemon.
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 09:11:22 PM »
LA - Be very careful.  I know where you live and your bosses like me (but your recommendations are "spot on").

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2013, 11:17:47 PM »
Pulled pork is one of those foods that freezes really well. I like to make two large butts for the wife and I(the kids don't really eat it). I then break them down into serving size portions & vac seal/freeze. Then whenever we want some pulled pork it is available. It will keep for at least a month or two.

On this one I gotta agree with the Turtle. Pulled pork is just as good after freezing as before.

If I am going to be burning pellets for an overnight cook then I am going to fill up that pellet grill with meat ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven