Author Topic: Porcelain-Enameled Cast Iron Cooking Grates  (Read 1177 times)

Offline eldog73

Porcelain-Enameled Cast Iron Cooking Grates
« Reply #-1 on: June 19, 2013, 03:50:16 PM »
hope this is ok to ask here.  A friend is getting ready to buy a gas grill.  I have had a weber silver for 6-7 years and had great service from it (still like the convenience, though I have other cookers/smokers)

I recommended the weber to him, but to me it looks like the grates are cast iron, though they say porcelain enameled.  I cant get a clear read on whether they have to be seasoned.  mine came with heavy grates, that were obvious coated.  They are still in good shape, though I now have Grill Grates on it.

just looking for some insight, I suggested just getting the grillgrates too, but he was not too keen  on that.  I have just had awful experience with cast iron grates with rust and flaking

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: Porcelain-Enameled Cast Iron Cooking Grates
« on: June 19, 2013, 03:58:57 PM »
Porcelain coated cast iron does not need to be seasoned. But you need to be careful how you clean it and what kind of utensils you use on it. The coating can be damaged and then start flaking. If this happens you can season those areas.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 05:33:23 PM »
I have a Weber gasser - that is a great grill...And - I always thought I was being careful with the porcelain infused cast iron grates, but after 2 years - they are rusting and flaking pretty badly. I like in a really humid climate that is tough on cast iron grates - even if you really baby them.

Perhaps the way to explain the value of the GrillGrates to your friend is that using GrillGrates will do 3 things for him that the Weber on it's own cannot.

1. They will reduce the amount of btu's needed to maintain a given temperature. This saves gas.

2. They will increase his grill temperatures by 10-150F easily. Hotter grill, better sear, nicer steak! ;)

3. Just like that aluminum body on his Weber - the GrillGrates will last - potentially - a lifetime with very little care.

GrilGrates are the ONE product that - no matter what you cook on - will make it perform better.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 07:48:07 PM »
The same day you buy a grill, be it charcoal,gas or pellet...just automatically order Grill Grates the same day.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32