Author Topic: Small backyard stick burners  (Read 3888 times)

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
Small backyard stick burners
« Reply #-1 on: June 22, 2013, 11:17:31 AM »
This is about attitude , not specific techniques !
These are not electronically controlled stable temp smokers that cook 10 hours without tending.
These are imperfect, interactive, cookers that you learn the quirks & work with them.
Temps will vary, I'm happy with 215-290F between reloading.
A temp variation of 50F is common, from firebox side to smokestack side, don't sweat it.
You need to tend the fire, heck, make it enjoyable, a music player, a dog, adult beverages, a laptop or tablet to post on LTBBQ all make it fun 8)

New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Small backyard stick burners
« on: June 22, 2013, 11:25:29 AM »
Amen!
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 11:38:01 AM »
With a 2 year old and a 4 year old running amuck in the house  while tending to a off set smoker is just not possible. I commend those who can do it.

I also enjoy my sleep. So not having to wake up in the middle of the night to load wood or coals is what I enjoy. Waking up in the morning well rested to a couple of pork butts through the stall makes me smile. ;)

But even offsets can be made to nearly tend-free with a good air controller so there is that if one decides to make things easier.

The only thing bad is that my wife knows I don't have to sit out and tend my cookers so I get stuck with other activities that I may not want to do ??? 8)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 11:57:32 AM »
I like the last picture the best.  you should blow that one up and frame it.   :)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 11:58:45 AM »
The only thing bad is that my wife knows I don't have to sit out and tend my cookers so I get stuck with other activities that I may not want to do ??? 8)

Oops.  Luckily (or not depending on how you look at it  ;)), my kids and wife have started to realize that BBQ is a family affair.  My kids are old enough (11 and 13) to have fun with it, and my wife tolerates me.  They help with food prep, general assistance and of course eating.  My boys are brisket fanatics.  Every once in a while, I will need to wake my wife up in the middle of the night for something, but I try to avoid that.  My kids are normally up by 6AM asking what the pit temp and meat temp are during an overnight cook.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 12:06:38 PM »
My off-set days are over. There is a sense of great satisfaction when your meat comes off the off-set...because you sure did work for it.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 12:25:47 PM »
I am starting to learn and if it was not for the internet and the positive sharing of information by some very nice people, my data base and my learning experience would be empty.

Muebe, I fully understand what you are saying.

Adjusting to a life of "leisure, pain, and limited mobility" that senior years have brought is difficult enough. The pleasant function of BBQ and Smoking provides a wonderful avenue of directing intellect as well as testing the abilities to make good food. My wife in the last 3 years has not complained about my spending on smoking, including pellet smoker and now the smoker, smoker. She knows as I do that this is a good diversion and activity for a person who was once very, very athletic and active. It fills the void.

Lost Arrow: you are right on target, "This is about attitude, not specific techniques." It really does give one something to look forward to instead of just laying down and quitting.

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 02:37:46 PM »
I think one can interpret from this thread that there is joy in the diversity of our equipment opportunities! ;D

Or - plainer put: It takes all kinds to satisfy everyone, all of the time :D....I like all forms of outdoor cooking. Each of them has something different to offer that another does not.

Whether one enjoys "fuel and air management" - or not, there is a grill or smoker for you. And, it is nice to have both extremes available. Sometimes I want to cook low and slow, and miss chuckin' a split or two in the firebox....And sometimes I don't have the time to enjoy that aspect of the cooking process as much.

But all of it qualifies as Outdoor Cooking.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 03:30:32 PM »
It seems like when we start off cooking outdoors it is a Weber or some sort of grill we stumbled upon.

Then we discover smoking and it is the el cheapo off-set.

Then we get a good off-set.

Then we get a WSM

Then we get a pellet grill or an electric smoker.

Then we go to the big cook-off in the sky.

At least in my case this seems to be the natural progression...........................
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 07:51:18 PM »
Well said, L A...

You express my thoughts so well.  As I plan to retire in 6 months, I look forward to outdoor cooking with the offset smoker, the MES, the infrared gasser, the barrel smoker and anything else I may pick up along the way.  I'm sure there will be times when I need to "set-it-and-forget-it" - that's why there is the MES.

Most of the time I will be like you, enjoying the process - whatever it takes - of tending the fire and the food and being thankful for friends who will share it with me.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 11:44:30 AM »
I use my home stick burner for short cooks, ribs chicken , chuckles & small butts ( I like small butts ::))
For briskets I use one of my "set & forget" cookers. It's TOO much work on an offset!
At LostArrow the only cooker is a big barrel cooker & the only time we cook briskets is when Jerry is there. As long as there's adult beverages he'll tend the fire for 14 hours ::)
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2013, 02:42:50 PM »
This is about attitude , not specific techniques !
These are not electronically controlled stable temp smokers that cook 10 hours without tending.
These are imperfect, interactive, cookers that you learn the quirks & work with them.
Temps will vary, I'm happy with 215-290F between reloading.
A temp variation of 50F is common, from firebox side to smokestack side, don't sweat it.
You need to tend the fire, heck, make it enjoyable, a music player, a dog, adult beverages, a laptop or tablet to post on LTBBQ all make it fun 8)

LA,

You're a poet...  ;)

Reading through the responses just confirms your point - this is all about attitude. As others have said, good food is about the "love" we put into it. And we each find the best way to put our love into the process and food. Our attitude toward cooking and how we express it - which cooker / process / techniques we choose - it's how we inject ourselves into the cook. When we match our attitude to the technique, technology and process - magic.

As I have said before - a good cook can cook good on a rock. All the rest makes it fun and helps us translate our passion and excitement in to something our friends and families enjoy.

You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2013, 02:45:01 PM »
I like the last picture the best.  you should blow that one up and frame it.   :)

Absolutely!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline RAD

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2013, 04:00:59 PM »
I love cooking like this.
Love to cook and eat

Offline Old Hickory

• Creston, Ca. Member #52
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2013, 06:22:03 PM »
LA, you are  so correct.  My fav cooker is my off-set, especially in the Summer.  Friends over, some adult bev's and they all seem to stand around the cooker.  There is enough room to cook three racks of ribs and two chickens.  That will feed a crowd.  My other cookers have their time and place and specialty , but I have more fun with this one.
Char-broil SRG
Bradley 4DS w/ dual elem mod, PID
Charmglow 5 burner pgg w/rotisserie
Weber Kettle w/rotisserie
Pit Barrel Cooker
Cuisinart TOF-60