Author Topic: Smoke Daddy Cold Smoker  (Read 2275 times)

Offline Hectilles

Smoke Daddy Cold Smoker
« Reply #-1 on: June 26, 2013, 04:43:32 PM »
Has anyone used a Smoke Daddy Cold Smoker?

I have an A-maze-n tube that I absolutely love for cold smoking but I can't seem to keep it consistently lit when the fan is running. I've moved it to multiple locations inside my grill and have tried different pellets thinking that was causing the problem but sometimes it will burn fine and other times it goes out halfway through the tube.  But like I said it is my go to for cold smoking.

So getting back to the point, does anyone have a Smoke Daddy or any other add ons they would recommend?

Thanks in advance,

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
Re: Smoke Daddy Cold Smoker
« on: June 26, 2013, 04:58:28 PM »
The sawdust smokers in my experience stay lit better!
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 05:03:37 PM »
I have a smoke daddy and they work really well. The trick is getting the air pump set proper spot. The air pump is adjustable. I used to have it hooked up to my Traeger junior but never had the guts to drill a hole in my Memphis however ???

I used to get around 3 hours of smoke from it. I have their smallest model.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Tenpoint5

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 05:42:17 PM »
You have to make sure your amznps can breath if it can't breath it will go out everytime
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Offline Hectilles

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 05:53:42 PM »
You have to make sure your amznps can breath if it can't breath it will go out everytime

Yeah I figured as much but I'm not sure what else I can do besides CPR to get it more air flow. My grill is like a wind tunnel when the fan is on so I'm missing something, just can't figure out what it is.  ;D

Don't get me wrong the tube works great in the same grill with the fan off for cold smoking and that is what I have been using it for. And again I've moved it to multiple locations and tried different pellets to try and see if that works, but I just can't get a consistent result for whatever reason. I have no doubt in my mind it's me.  ;)

Offline Tenpoint5

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 06:48:45 PM »
Wonder if your fan is creating to much of a vortex and that is essentially putting the fire out
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 07:04:46 PM »
I use the smoke daddy to cold smoke in a coleman cooler that I made..I put the smoke daddy on the outside towards the top of the unit. The air filter, for an aquarium keeps it going just fine. I have a hole on top for ventilation and it works fine every time. Let me see..I have pics.  Pam .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ

[attachment deleted by admin]
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline DK117

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 08:25:59 PM »

Yeah I figured as much but I'm not sure what else I can do besides CPR to get it more air flow. My grill is like a wind tunnel when the fan is on so I'm missing something, just can't figure out what it is.  ;D

Don't get me wrong the tube works great in the same grill with the fan off for cold smoking and that is what I have been using it for. And again I've moved it to multiple locations and tried different pellets to try and see if that works, but I just can't get a consistent result for whatever reason. I have no doubt in my mind it's me.  ;)
I've got the 6" and the 18" tube smoker.  I've never had one go out in the middle of the cook, but in the first 5 minutes, they regularly go out.  My suggestion is to light the tube smoker at minimum 10 minutes before turning on the grill fan.  This has given me much greater success with the tube smoker.

DK117
Traeger Texas 075
Vermont Castings Signature Series Natural Gas Grill