Author Topic: Need to Clean your Stoneware?  (Read 1160 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Need to Clean your Stoneware?
« Reply #-1 on: June 28, 2013, 03:00:09 AM »
When my son & wife moved into a rental house they found two Pampered Chef stoneware dishes in the oven. One was round and one rectangle; they both had been abused beyond use from their looks. The daughter in law was telling me about them and said she was not going to try and clean them and would ask the owner if they were hers and if she wanted them. I looked at them and told her if the owner did not want them I would try to clean them good enough to use on my smoker.

The owner said put them out with the trash; so I got them. I thought about soaking in baking soda water. Since it is porous I didn’t think I should use soap. I looked for tips on the net and one said run it through a self-cleaning cycle in the oven. My oven needed cleaning so I placed it on the rack upside down.

It came out looking like new! I really didn’t want to try to learn how to re-season it and cook with it. I took it over to the owner and she was tickled to death to get it back in new condition. I had a skillet I wanted to do so I put the second stoneware in with it and it came out great too.

Here are some before and after pics of the one I just did.

Before

Bottom after

After

Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: Need to Clean your Stoneware?
« on: June 28, 2013, 07:22:43 AM »
I have pampered chef stoneware and the two things that you never do with them...

Never soak them in water. Just rinse and scrape with no soap. It comes with a plastic scraper.

And never drop them.

Don you made the right choice. They are able to take extremely high heat. And being porous all that imbedded grease makes it's way out during the self clean cycle and burns up.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 09:01:07 AM »
Don, What you did seems like common sense; however, I never would have thought of it.  I'll now go looking through my drawers to see where I left my common sense.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 09:12:13 AM »
Great post Don!  Very good information. Most of us probably have some stoneware that looks like it has been thru WWII, and nice to know how to bring it back to nearly new!

T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401