Author Topic: Clean and season cast ironw/grape seed oil  (Read 11017 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Clean and season cast ironw/grape seed oil
« Reply #-1 on: June 28, 2013, 10:24:35 PM »
This is just my take on trying grape seed oil for the first time to season cast iron. I read Capt. Jack’s link to Sheryl Canter’s post using flax seed oil. Her method sounded good and the photos of some she did looked great. I question her accuracy though on the smoke point of flax seed oil; all the charts I see say it is 225 deg. F instead of 520 deg. like she says.

I kind of question her logic too that if the smoke point was 520 deg. F she could do it in her oven at 450 deg. and not go over the smoke point. I would think in seasoning it wouldn’t matter and it may be best to go over it anyway.

I set out to find flax seed oil since I wanted to try it. I could not find it; I finally checked a health food store and the lady said she could order it for me. She said it didn’t have a long shelf life so she didn’t carry it. It is also expensive at a dollar or more US per ounce.

I did some more research and decided I would try grape seed oil, the 16 oz. can I just bought was $5 at Krogers. It is good for two years and it has a smoke point of 420 deg. F.

In the old days lard was used to season cast iron and still works well. That is what I used on my first skillet. Some of the oils that are good to use are safflower oil, canola oil and vegetable oil. If you have a method you are happy with and it works for you stay with it. The main thing is to get a season that will last awhile and give you a non-stick skillet to use.

I don’t care for Pam canola spray; it gives a fast build up for me. I have been using vegetable oil. I clean my cast iron with hot water and a brush and sometimes use a scotch non-abrasive pad on them. At times when the seasoning starts to get a little dull looking I will put a light coat of oil on; set on a high burner and as soon as it starts to smoke set it off to cool down.

I had the perfect skillet to try grape seed oil on, a 12 inch marked 12 SK Made in the USA. I don’t remember where I bought it but I suspect it is a Lodge. I used it a few times outdoors on a gas burner. I gave it to a good neighbor friend to use and his son-in –law used it camping. After the neighbor died his wife gave the skillet back to me.

It was a mess and I scoured on it and got it down to bare metal. It had a large brown spot in the middle from gas flames that didn’t come off. I re-seasoned it a couple of times on the gas burner using Pam I think. At least this would keep it from rusting. It has hung in my shed a few years. I decided to use the grape seed oil and use it this summer.

I decided to run it through my self-cleaning oven to get all the seasoning off. While I was doing it I did the neighbors stoneware dish too and it came out looking like new. The skillet was really clean; it even took the brown burn spot out. If I had been smart enough to use the oven the first time I cleaned it I would have saved a lot of rubbing!

I am using Sheryl’s heating method to do my skillet, 6 thin coats, place in the oven and heat to 485 deg. F. for an hour then shut off and let cool. Why 485 deg.; not sure it just sounded good to me. I have had good results doing them at 350 deg. before.

I just finished the first coat on the skillet and it is cooling now. I will post a new photo with the other five coats. I will also try to get back to this post and update after I try cooking with it. I will let you know the outcome; good or bad.

The before photos are before doing in my self-cleaning oven and the after are after cleaning.

Smokin Don

Before bottom

Before inside

Bottom after

Inside after

1st coat of oil applied, before heating

1st coat of oil baked

2nd coat done

3rd coat done

4th coat done

5th coat done

6th coat done, final

Bottom after 6 coats

Jul 02 2013

I was done seasoning my skillet and time to do a first cook in it. I decided I would fry up some bacon, pour off the grease and fry a couple of eggs. Eggs are hard to do without sticking.

I fried two batches of bacon on Med. heat and poured off the grease. I cracked two eggs into the skillet and then covered to baste them. The first egg came out clean but the second one stuck just a little; but it came out easy. I probably should have left a little more grease in for the first cook.

I set the skillet off the burner to cool; it looked like I would have to do a little scrubbing to clean it. I had nuked some frozen Bob Evans biscuits and sausage gravy to have to.  The breakfast tasted good.

I set the skillet in the sink and brushed it with hot water. Just a short brushing and it came out looking new again. I was real happy the way it cleaned up so easily.

Bacon's on

Grease poured off after frying the bacon

After frying the eggs

My Breakfast

After a quick cleaning

My final thoughts about how I seasoned it. The method I think is the best I have ever used.

1.    Apply a thin coat of oil, wipe all off, place in an oven and turn to 485 to 500 deg.
2.   After reaching set temp leave it in for one hour
3.   Turn off the oven and let cool for two hours
4.   Wait at least 12 hours before doing another coat
5.   Do the above at least 6 times.

I liked the grape seed oil it has a high smoke point and it is low in bad fats. I think the above method would probably do well with any of the cooking oils mentioned for seasoning cast iron or even lard. Common sense tells me I want to heat over the smoke point when seasoning to get rid of any bad stuff in the oil. If you do it at 500 deg. you will be above the smoke point off all the cooking oils except refined Avocado oil which is 520 deg. F.

When I have cast iron cook ware that needs seasoned I will use the above method and probably use grape seed oil again. Thanks to Cheryl Canter for the method, it works and gives a nice matte black finish. Only more cooking with the skillet I did will tell how long the finish will last. It probably will not get much use. It’s a little too large for my stove top burner. It does have a little warp in the center that lets it spin easily on my glass top range but it will be ideal for outdoor cooking on my gas burner.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 12:48:33 PM by Smokin Don »
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: Clean and season cast ironw/grape seed oil
« on: June 29, 2013, 12:35:16 AM »
This thread will be interesting to follow. Like you I found flax seed oil difficult to find and too expensive. I don't like the spray oils for seasoning. I also tried a special product (in a tube) for one pan - can't remember the name. It was expensive and didn't work any better than the lard I had been using. I look forward to seeing your results with grape seed oil.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline RAD

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 07:37:15 AM »
interesting post. Can't wait to see the results.
Love to cook and eat

Offline knucklehead

• Atascocita, TX
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 08:33:03 AM »
I am looking forward to the results as well.  My ci grate on the pg 500 has been a challenge too keep seasoned as high heat tends to burn away the seasoning.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Knucklehead

PG 500
18" WSM
22" Weber OTP
22" Weber OTS
Exes
Traeger 07E

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 08:47:48 AM »
Don, Thanks for this post.  I cook often with grape seed oil because it has a high smoke point and doesn't leave much, if any, after taste. Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 02:27:17 PM »
I am doing it a little faster than Sheryl instead of waiting 24 hrs. between coats I am going with 12 hours; which I think is plenty. I think it is coming along great. For the 3rd coat photo I took it outdoors for no flash. My flash was showing some browns that I was not seeing with the naked eye. It is getting a nice black color. Don
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 02:11:48 PM »
The 4th coat is done and it is really taking on a nice black color. Don
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 01:08:26 PM »
I finished seasoning my skillet and did the first cook with it today. All the photos and results are in the original post. Smokin Don
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 01:10:58 PM »
The skillet looks BETTER than new - much more even color and the surface looks smoother as well. This sounds like a great process for a rescue skillet and, not a bad idea for a new one as well. Thanks for the review!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 01:18:52 PM by drholly »
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 04:04:36 PM »
Wow! That pan looks great Don. Next time I see cast iron cookware at a yardsale in bad shape I might take a second look ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 06:33:42 PM »
Looking good Don. As info, your skillet is a Lodge, that is how they marked their skillets up until the mid 1990's, just the iron type, in your case SK 12 or size 12 skillet, Made In USA and a letter it will either be D or I think H is the other letter, it designates which of the big forges it was made it.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline RAD

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 07:01:23 PM »
Great post and great looking pan. Thanks for taking the time to share this with us.
Love to cook and eat

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 08:17:56 PM »
I found flax seed oil at Whole Foods
I would think that since it has a lower smoke point than grape seed oil
that you could run the oven around 350° instead of 450°~500° ?

did each coating using the grape seed oil finish dry or sticky?
My skillet with the grape seed oil was dry after each seasoning. Not sure about doing the flax oil at 350 deg. If you try it let us know how it does. Don
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2013, 08:19:15 PM »
Looking good Don. As info, your skillet is a Lodge, that is how they marked their skillets up until the mid 1990's, just the iron type, in your case SK 12 or size 12 skillet, Made In USA and a letter it will either be D or I think H is the other letter, it designates which of the big forges it was made it.
Thanks for the good info Ken! Appreciate it! Don
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi