Author Topic: No, No, Absolutely Not!  (Read 1947 times)

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
No, No, Absolutely Not!
« Reply #-1 on: July 21, 2013, 07:40:49 PM »
About three weeks ago, I tried my first Tri Tip Sirloin roast. The results, in my opinion, were excellent as we cooked the meat till it was rare to medium rare. Delicious! Very tender and a great flavor.

So, since Wednesday, I have been marinading another Tri Tip with a mixture of rub and liquids that just add a wonderful flavor to the meat. And, today, the Tri Tip went into the smoker. Again, I set the Yoder on 250 degrees and put it in the smoker. When the internal temperature hit 130 degrees internal temperature, I removed the meat from the smoker, wrapped it in tinfoil, and then towels, and placed the meat into my Playmate  Cooler where it sat for an hour.

Here's what it looked like after I sliced it up for the family for dinner.

There those who like to cook this as a Trisket. So well done that the meat falls apart. That's ok, but when this meat cooks up so beautiful and tender at rare to medium rare, I cannot be among those followers. If this were a chuck roast or a brisket, yeah, I could see this.

There really are very few meats that can be slow cooked and removed in smoking that rare to medium rare. I have done a Prime Rib which was absolutely fantastic but there does not really seem to be a lot of other cuts that can be done in this manner. Smoking food was designed to take tough cuts of meat, cook them at a low temperature for very long times. in order to tenderize the meat. I really cannot bring myself to take a piece fo meat that is already tender and cook it to death.

That's my story and I am sticking to it.

Ed
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 08:45:17 PM by veryolddog »
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
Re: No, No, Absolutely Not!
« on: July 21, 2013, 07:58:48 PM »
Looks good to me Ed!! I was taught to seer the tri-tip at 500° F both sides for a couple minutes then lower the Q to 250 and cook until 135 IT for Medium rare.

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 08:21:39 PM »
Beautiful. It's making me hungry!
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline UWFSAE

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 08:22:57 PM »
That's a beauty ... good lord, that would be wonderful on some good french bread with a quick jus to dip in ...
Joe from Crosby, TX
Smokin-It #3
Weber Genesis E-330

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 08:31:24 PM »
Great job Very Old Dog.  Now it is time to do a trisket and see what all the fuss is about........don't fear the trisket....you can trust Old Smoke and Muebe...we are your BBQ Buddies  ;) ;)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline GrillGeek

• www.pelletgrilloutfitters.com
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 10:18:55 PM »
If you're marinating a tri-tip, then you can get a way with rare-medium rare. I strongly believe in 140-145 IT if you're not doing a triskie!
Owner of Simi Pellet Grills- The Pellet Grill Outfitters
www.pelletgrilloutfitters.com

805-285-2618

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 10:22:35 PM »
they are great both ways.  and yours looks  :P :P :P :P :P
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 11:33:23 PM »
Ed that looks great! Nothing wrong with that meat ;)

I really think you need to try a Trisket before judging it. Hard to judge a movie by just the trailers.

If you make a Trisket and decide it is not for you I can buy that. But when you have not tried it yet don't knock it. I truly believe that if you make one you will be pleasently surprised.

I have had literally hundreds of Tri-Tips. I grew up eating them. It is a California tradition. They are plentiful here, cheap, and available at almost every grocery store around here. So I can make a judgment due to having tried both.

The Trisket does not come out dry. It does not fall apart. It slices just like a brisket. Very tender and moist. No knife needed on the slices. A sideways fork will seperate it into bite size pieces.

It is a different way to cook a Tri-Tip.

I was a non-believer just like you. But I decided to give it a try one time and wow!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 12:59:26 AM »
Looks great, nice cook!!! I tend to agree with you VOD, I like to do the tri tips at 250 deg. to an IT of 130 deg. and then sear on my Weber Q100 gas grill. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 03:08:12 AM »
Looks good, but agree with Muebe.  You have to try a trisket to fully appreciate it.  While it may cook like a brisket, the finished product is really different (and superior in many ways).
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Wing Commander

• Visit my BBQ-Blog!
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 03:14:24 AM »
Great cook. That's the way I've cooked my tri tips so far as well and also had it medium sometimes. However I'm gonna give the trisket a try. ;)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 08:09:45 AM »

I really think you need to try a Trisket before judging it. Hard to judge a movie by just the trailers.

If you make a Trisket and decide it is not for you I can buy that. But when you have not tried it yet don't knock it. I truly believe that if you make one you will be pleasently surprised.

I have had literally hundreds of Tri-Tips. I grew up eating them. It is a California tradition. They are plentiful here, cheap, and available at almost every grocery store around here. So I can make a judgment due to having tried both.

The Trisket does not come out dry. It does not fall apart. It slices just like a brisket. Very tender and moist. No knife needed on the slices. A sideways fork will seperate it into bite size pieces.

I was a non-believer just like you. But I decided to give it a try one time and wow!

One bite and we gotcha..........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 08:53:19 AM »

One bite and we gotcha..........

Or how about one picture ;)

Ok maybe two 8)

Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2013, 10:48:02 AM »
I would try that, but my wife would kill me. She has already made it perfectly clear that she prefers Tri Tip over brisket any day of the week. So, in order to maintain a favorable relationship that leads to positive rewards, rare to medium rare is the way it is going o be.

However, tonight, I may just fry up a slice of Tri Tip in butter, and serve it with a couple of eggs over easy with a side of potatoes mixed with roasted poblano and jalepeno peppers and roasted onions. Now that is a breakfast for dinner.

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2013, 11:32:46 AM »
Looks good to me Ed!! I was taught to seer the tri-tip at 500° F both sides for a couple minutes then lower the Q to 250 and cook until 135 IT for Medium rare.

Thats how I cook mine.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66