Author Topic: Brined Chicken Legs & Spaghetti Squash  (Read 790 times)

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
Brined Chicken Legs & Spaghetti Squash
« Reply #-1 on: February 11, 2012, 01:19:10 PM »
The more I brine Chicken and Turkey to more I wonder why I never brined much in the past or why I should stop brining in the future!?  Took a dozen Chicken Legs and brined them for 3 hours using the following recipe :  ½ gallon water, ½ cup of sugar, ¼ cup of Kosher Salt, 5 Fl ounces of Yasama Teriyaki, & 1 cup of Mr Yoshida's Marinade & Cooking Sauce (wanted to finish up the Yasama and Yoshida's).  Cut a small Spaghetti Squash in half and removed the seeds.

Removed the Chicken Legs from the brine, rinsed well, and patted dry.  Rubbed Annie's Roasted Garlic EVOO and Fagundes Seasoning Under/On the skin.  Covered with plastic and returned to refrigerator for an hour.  Preheated the MAK 2 Star Pellet Grill to 350ºF with Hickory pellets.  Cooked the Spaghetti Squash for half an hour before inserting the Chicken Legs.

Cooked the Spaghetti Squash for 1½ hours which resulted in the squash retaining just a slight crunch.  Baking time really depends on how big your squash is.  A small one will easily feed 4 people.  Use a fork to scrape the squash to get long, tasty strands.

Wrapped the Spaghetti Squash in foil while giving the Chicken Legs time to reach an IT of 180ºF+.  Took an hour and 10 minutes for the chicken to come to temp.  Rested the chicken under a foil tent for 15 minutes before serving.

The money $shot ... A few juicy, tender, succulent Teriyaki brined Chicken Legs served with Spaghetti Squash and a nice salad ... Simple, Quick, Delicious, and I believe quite healthy!!

MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Brined Chicken Legs & Spaghetti Squash
« on: February 11, 2012, 01:54:57 PM »
Pete- I agree 101% about the brining of poultry. Really helps it retain moisture. And  the plated food - with that salad looks great. Great grouping and variety of textures and flavors.

T

BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Brined Chicken Legs & Spaghetti Squash
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 02:25:02 PM »
Healthy and more importantly.....very tasty I bet!  Looks perfect Smoker-P!!

I am with you on brining Pete...if it is pork or poultry it is getting soaked!!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 02:38:21 PM by smokeasaurus »
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32