Author Topic: Salvage a Dry Brisket  (Read 32 times)

Online pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
Salvage a Dry Brisket
« Reply #-1 on: April 28, 2024, 10:56:12 PM »
My MAK 2-Star was set at 200°F but ran crazy through the night due to pilot error (I think).  I forgot to put the cap over the burn pot the last time I cleaned it and I didn't clean it after smoking a meat loaf so it may have been a bit too dirty.  What should have been a 12-hour smoke turned out to be only 9 hours.  I wrapped it in foil with beef consommé and put it into the kitchen oven, and then I had to hold it FTCd a bit longer than usual.  The result was a brisket that is so dry it sucks all of the moisture out of my mouth like a sponge.

Here's a temperature plot from 9:00PM to 6:00AM the next morning–

I was up three times during the night monitoring the internal temperature.  When it hit 160°F I pulled it to wrap.

So—it's super dry.  What do you suggest I do to get it to absorb moisture?
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline Ka Honu

Re: Salvage a Dry Brisket
« on: Today at 08:58:08 AM »
My thought is to call it a learning experience and try to salvage it in some other form like soup (if there's still any fat in the "disaster") or jerky.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
Re: Salvage a Dry Brisket
« Reply #1 on: Today at 09:00:47 AM »
Possible suggestion would be to put it in a pan with beef stock reheat it let it cool in liquid.  As meat cools it reabsorbs liquid.  Only other thing would make burnt ends I guess?
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759