Author Topic: Smoking Ribs - First Time Video  (Read 2276 times)

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
Smoking Ribs - First Time Video
« Reply #-1 on: August 10, 2013, 06:21:27 PM »
Hello Everybody,

Note to everyone. You Tube posted this back to back so the size of the video is really 31 minutes not over an hour.

Taking the lead from Cecil B. Jaxon on the creation of outstanding videos for the purpose of illustration, education and the sharing of information, I have taken the liberty of providing this video.

I did the ribs on Wednesday of this past week. It took me two and half days to create a You Tube Channel and upload a movie. In the mean time, I put this video together using Corel's Video Studio Pro 6 so I also had a learning curve there as well. It's a little long but it is informative. The result is good.

Actually, that little camera is not bad. Something more sophisticated can be used but this is adequate. I did this in HD.

I know that I am not the best actor for this but I hope to get better.

Let me know what you think. I would appreciate your feedback on what could be improved. One problem I am aware of is that I am slow because of my physical dexterity and I was alone without anyone to assist.

Enjoy!

Ed

« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 08:57:19 PM by veryolddog »
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Smoking Ribs - First Time Video
« on: August 10, 2013, 06:44:40 PM »
Very nicely done....the video and the ribs  8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 08:43:38 PM »
Oh, those ribs look so good...

Nice job on the video, Ed.  I looked at the timer and saw that it was 1 hour and 4 minutes, so I did the fast forward thru some parts, and finally realized (like CaptJack) that it was the same video uploaded twice or something.

I find that a tripod helps me with a different perspective and can expand the field of view a bit - that may help.

PLUS - get a shot of that first bite and say ummm-ummmmmmm.    ;)
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 09:35:50 PM »
Ed.... They look as tender as Jaxon's heart ;)

Video was a bit long but good job.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 09:39:52 PM »
Great video, you did a good job 360!!

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 09:46:12 PM »
nice ribs.   :)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline pz

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 11:24:19 PM »
Ribs look excellent, but as has been mentioned, is a bit long.  Shorter segments (5-10 minutes) are the ones that I'm likely to start watching.  From a personal aspect, I always look at the time of a video before I decide to play it.  One technique that seems to hold my attention is when the author breaks the entire production into 5-10 minute segments each dealing with a specific event, then the second installation continues the story, and so on.  Of course, I'm no expert ;)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 01:15:08 AM »
Ribs look excellent, but as has been mentioned, is a bit long.  Shorter segments (5-10 minutes) are the ones that I'm likely to start watching.  From a personal aspect, I always look at the time of a video before I decide to play it.  One technique that seems to hold my attention is when the author breaks the entire production into 5-10 minute segments each dealing with a specific event, then the second installation continues the story, and so on.  Of course, I'm no expert ;)

pz - I do this as part of my job. You are right regarding length. While people will watch longer videos, to get the most viewers it needs to be short. Five minutes is long. Think of the morning news - that's what people watch.  Each "feature" is only a few minutes (at most) long. A viewer feels they learned everything they need to know about a wildfire in 2 minutes. We've become conditioned to take everything in small bites. So, for us that means breaking things down as pz suggests. I produce a lot of on-line content - 10 minutes is long - it better be VERY engaging to keep the viewer. If you have a 3 hour cook, cut out all the waiting time, get it down to 30 minutes or less. Then cut that into discrete chunks. Each one should be 5 minutes or less. Use the voice over to add information that the video doesn't. My favorite example comes from the movie, A river Runs Through It. In the opening segments, the young boys are doing their home work - a writing exercise. They bring their efforts to their father who reads them, says "good... now shorter..." Many things can be described and they don't need to be captured on video. The video needs to capture the things that can't be described. It's a balance. The viewer expects to gain a lot of information in a minimum amount of time. We need to keep that in mind as we design our offering.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline RAD

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 08:13:36 AM »
Good looing ribs. Why use the oven when the smoker is still hot? Just curious.

drholly, great advice
Love to cook and eat

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 11:18:41 AM »
Good job on the video (and the ribs).
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Chili Head

Smoking Ribs - First Time Video
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 08:04:31 PM »
Awesome job! Those ribs looked great!