Author Topic: Mo Rockin chicken  (Read 3547 times)

Offline Pappymn

Mo Rockin chicken
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2013, 10:03:23 AM »
Nice looking plate, Pappy! I like the little pac man waiting to gobble it up. Yep, chives are green - they count as a veggie. I see you plan to add the mayo next time. In your mind, what does the mayo give you beyond the oil?

Thanks

Not sure about that. I did two birds yesterday. One with oil the other with mayo and some other spices. The mayo one was even more juicy. The oil one had better skin. May have been Mo Rockin that created the better skin.

Compound mayo is easier for me to get under the skin as well.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
Re: Mo Rockin chicken
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2013, 10:23:46 AM »
  Excellent!!
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2013, 11:36:47 AM »
Nice looking plate, Pappy! I like the little pac man waiting to gobble it up. Yep, chives are green - they count as a veggie. I see you plan to add the mayo next time. In your mind, what does the mayo give you beyond the oil?

Thanks

Not sure about that. I did two birds yesterday. One with oil the other with mayo and some other spices. The mayo one was even more juicy. The oil one had better skin. May have been Mo Rockin that created the better skin.

It's funny, I've made great chicken parts on the SRG and whole chickens on the PBC. Once I started messing around with the "new stuff" like mayo, I've improved parts of the cook, but others have suffered. With mayo I get a bit "juicier / flavorable" bird, but the skin is not as good and SWMBO loves her crispy chicken skin...  ???

So, I am looking for ideas or maybe just go back to the basics - some oil and a good rub...
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2013, 12:51:38 PM »
Pappy in MN, don't you just love that Mo Rockin chicken flavor. That looks beautiful.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2013, 01:03:15 PM »

Thanks

It's funny, I've made great chicken parts on the SRG and whole chickens on the PBC. Once I started messing around with the "new stuff" like mayo, I've improved parts of the cook, but others have suffered. With mayo I get a bit "juicier / flavorable" bird, but the skin is not as good and SWMBO loves her crispy chicken skin...  ???

So, I am looking for ideas or maybe just go back to the basics - some oil and a good rub...

Doc if you want crispy skin do the following...

Pat the skin dry then apply a god coating of Kosher salt.

Leave it in the fridge uncovered for a few hours.

The tray will be filled with juice as the salt draws moisture from the skin.

Rinse the salt off and then pat dry again.

Back in the fridge uncovered for 30 minutes.

Then apply a coating of oil to the skin and lightly coat with salt and pepper.

Cook at a temp of at least 350F to 375F until you reach your internal temp of 160F.

This should get you some very crispy skin. You are removing the excess moisture from the skin to keep it from steaming.

Super crispy if done in the Big Easy ;)

Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2013, 01:56:46 PM »
Thanks, muebe! I will do that this week.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #