Author Topic: What Charcoal Grill/Smoker should Smoke Get?  (Read 10758 times)

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
What Charcoal Grill/Smoker should Smoke Get?
« Reply #-1 on: August 17, 2013, 12:53:10 PM »
Not forgetting Sparky but with his Webers I think he's good to go!
Smoke loves weber so that's an option.
I'd like to suggest an Chargriller Kamodo as both a smoker & grill.
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline sparky

• northern california
Re: What Charcoal Grill/Smoker should Smoke Get?
« on: August 17, 2013, 01:00:35 PM »
I like the big steel kegs because you can go low/slow and hot/fast.  but I like the horizontal type grills.  like the MC pr36?  I do like that black gasket looking smoker smoke sold.  a good set up for direct/indirect set ups.  me.  i'm looking for a gravity feed smoker.   :)  ya know.  smoke loves cooking on webers and doing briskets, butts and ribs on them.  smoke, get a 26" weber kettle and do it all. 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 01:12:51 PM »
A little story. The house we rent is in foreclosure. We have rented here for many moons. The owner is very old and can't handle his finances anymore and got in trouble with property taxes and back payments. The house is 5 weeks away from being sold. I am in the process of paying off the back payment to stop the foreclosure. So much for my IRA, but shelter comes first. I then will be gifted the house and will refinance the mortgage. Long story short, I am buying the house for 78,000 and it lists at 350,000. I am gonna borrow extra to pay off my truck and the old ladies car with a little taken out for a charcoal grill and Kingsford.

Once that mortgage payment hits, I gotta get serious with our finances and make purchases count. I am selling the electric smoker. I just don't use it enough. I will have to get the oven fixed in the house though. I will keep the Weber Q-320. That little gem of a gasser has saved my arse during the week more times than I can count. The pellet grill stays. It cooks certain items that other units just cant do as well.

My immediate family (sadly) will be getting smaller over the next couple of years or so. My youngest son got a job and moved up to Palmdale. My oldest boy landed a high paying job and I expect him to fly the coop soon. My parents wont live forever (I sure wish I could find a way for that to happen), so soon it will be me and my gal and the occasional bubba for weekend cooks.

Charcoal, wood and smoke are in my DNA. It is what I am about. Seeing Lost Arrows and Sparkys , the Captains charcoal cooks have entertained me and also made me miss that style of cooking and the flavors it produces.

I am coming home to charcoal and never leaving again. I told my gal this is the last grill. We have big responsibilities now and have to make all our purchases sensible. This charcoal grill is for me. Not for her, not for nobody...for me. For years I have catered to my kids and family. I have worried if they like my food. When they don't, I change equipment. Those days are over. It is all about me now. Queing should be fun and it should be done the way you want it.

Lost Arrow: I have thought long and hard and for me it is all about charcoal and wood on one side and meat on the other...just like it is done at your camp.

I have also decided that when I have a living trust made, my last grill purchase at the time of my death will be given to a LTBBQ forum member. My attorney will be given my log in and password and I will show her the members list and she will pick all on her own. The freight will be paid as well. The forum member will be contacted by pm and arrangements can be made.

Hey, Smoke wants it this way.

So, Eric will be ordering this for me:

http://www.yodersmokers.com/abilene20.html

P.S. I am only -53- and in pretty darn good shape, so don't clear any space on the patio anytime soon......y'all just have to wait a bit....... ;)

« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 01:25:39 PM by smokeasaurus »
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Pappymn

What Charcoal Grill/Smoker should Smoke Get?
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 01:35:32 PM »
Great write up Smoke. Congrats on your choice......looks like a beauty.

If it helps my cause, you are a handsome and generous man ???
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 01:44:05 PM »
Great write up Smoke. Congrats on your choice......looks like a beauty.

If it helps my cause, you are a handsome and generous man ???

X2 - thank you for everything you have posted and will continue to post!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 01:48:29 PM »
Woo-Hoo!!!
We need to make or buy a charcoal basket for that cooker & you'll be set!
Smoke most of us are OLDER than you, we eat too much , drink too much , & you might be the one who turns the lights off ::)
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 01:50:46 PM »
Don't forget about them Black widows in your charcoal hoard so fast smoke :) But whatever Grill/smoker you go with we always got your Back :) Congrats on the house!!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 01:51:32 PM »
Woo-Hoo!!!
We need to make or buy a charcoal basket for that cooker & you'll be set!
Smoke most of us are OLDER than you, we eat too much , drink too much , & you might be the one who turns the lights off ::)

My attorney will be given a list of members who post a bunch and like to cook on charcoal. I would not want someone to get it and not use it. Keep the compliments coming though  :D :D

LA, Dan at Yoder will be making a charcoal basket for it, I had you in mind if he wouldn't make me one though   ;)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 01:54:39 PM »
Don't forget about them Black widows in your charcoal hoard so fast smoke :) But whatever Grill/smoker you go with we always got your Back :) Congrats on the house!!

Wearing gloves whenever I need a bag. Them widers aint getting me. I hope the employees at HD or Lowes get a good nights sleep before Labor Day........because Smoke is coming.......and he is making up for lost time and to stock up till Memorial Day.....
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 02:20:12 PM »

Hey, Smoke wants it this way.[/b]

So, Eric will be ordering this for me:

http://www.yodersmokers.com/abilene20.html

P.S. I am only -53- and in pretty darn good shape, so don't clear any space on the patio anytime soon......y'all just have to wait a bit....... ;)

Whoa!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

When you said back to charcoal, I had a feeling that you were going to go for the Yoder.

Good decision. Enjoy it before you end up like me.

These are your toys so enjoy them. I do.

Good for you. And I am sure, that your family will reap the rewards of your endeavors.

Use it in good health!!!!!!

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2013, 02:22:53 PM »
congrats on the house and a great young lady that buts up w/ you.  i like the smoker.  I think your choice is a good one.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 02:43:43 PM by sparky1 »
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2013, 02:51:21 PM »
...my last grill purchase at the time of my death will be given to a LTBBQ forum member.

Smoochy's not gonna be happy; he was counting on inheriting.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2013, 02:52:39 PM »
Big Announcement:

Since everyone here is like part of my extended family, my financial planner (I don't give her much to work with  ;D) and I have come up with a great idea.

Upon my demise, my charcoal grill will be sold and the money will be sent to Tim (or whoever is running LTBBQ at that time) and the proceeds can be used to help the forum.

Maybe we can have some fall gatherings on me. Maybe some improvements to the forum. Or, the funds can be used for monthly forum expenses.

This way everyone can benefit and Smoke and Smoochy will consider our work here finished.........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2013, 02:53:33 PM »
...my last grill purchase at the time of my death will be given to a LTBBQ forum member.

Smoochy's not gonna be happy; he was counting on inheriting.

Turtle, I am taking him with me....... ;)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2013, 03:09:18 PM »
To get back to the topic of which was posted by Lost Arrow, I would suggest that you cannot go wrong following in Smoke's footsteps with a Yoder. If you want an offset version of that same smoker or a smaller one, they have that available. If a Char griller Komoda style strikes your fancy, that may work as well. I was drawn to that unit before I saw the Weber. The Weber for me, stikes me as a Victorianox Swiss Army knife, you know, the one with 43 different tools. I can keep buying accessories for the Weber for the next five years every three months and still not have them all.

Isn't it fun to buy new toys? I LOVE it. After I have this hip replacement operation, you all better get of my way because there is going to be a spending tornado in Southwest Texas and all over the Rocky Mountains.

Then in Northeast New Mexico, I think that I will have a new Log Cabin built with indoor plumbing. And a new barn. Then it will be time for one of those Yoders on trailer wheels.

Go buy yourself what you want and don't short change yourself. And just for discussion purposes, your first choice which is probably intuitive is the best one.

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.