Author Topic: I think I waste a lot of charcoal  (Read 1039 times)

Offline Pappymn

I think I waste a lot of charcoal
« Reply #-1 on: August 17, 2013, 06:10:22 PM »
Just finished a couple of tenderloins on my Weber. They were on not even an hour. Still have a full basket of coals burning away for the next few hours. :(

I have this paranoia of running out of heat.....so I always fill up the chimney.  Is their a rule of thumb on how much charcoal for certain times/temps?

I would like to get to the point where I can better match charcoal quantity to what I am cooking. Whether hot and fast or low and slow.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: I think I waste a lot of charcoal
« on: August 17, 2013, 06:14:48 PM »
You need a small charcoal grill for doing high temp searing cooks or a small fire ring to place in the Weber to put coals in and direct grill.

Or just use a disposable aluminum tray with some hot coals then lay a grill grate over it ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 06:19:13 PM »
Well, the more charcoal and air, the hotter the fire. I found when I had a 22.5 kettle with the charcoal baskets, with each basket filled with 20-25 briquettes the kettle would run around 350. One basket filled with 20-25 un-lit briquettes with -6- ignited briquettes added, you will be around 250. Just add about -8- briquettes and hour and it will go all day. I would keep the lid vent all the way open and the bottom vent just cracked...your mileage may vary.

The same principle was used when I had the big quality grill. If I wanted a lower temp, I would start with a smaller fire. If I was roasting whole chickens, I would have a stack of lit coals on each side with the chickens in the middle for a 375 smokey cook.

If you get your Weber vents shut down, it should extinguish the lit coals. Now they will be past their high heat curve and are best re-used to light your next batch of unlit coals.

Hope all this helps...... :)

Oh, and don't fret about losing heat. Briquettes burn around 900 degrees and are know for their uniform steady heat. If you start with too large a fire (especially in a Kettle), you will never get the heat down to the mid to high 200's. Start off with a smaller fire and add more briquettes and open the bottom vent up a tad more if you desire more heat..........
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 06:22:14 PM by smokeasaurus »
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 06:24:15 PM »
I have only used Lump Coal in my primo, Don't know if it is good to use in a weber but maybe give it a try sometime. Its totally reusable once it has gone out. Anyone feel free to correct me with the use of L/C in a Weber :)

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 06:35:50 PM »
I always start w/ a full chimney also.  when I get done cooking I just shut down the vents.  I use the left over cold coals for the start of my next cook.  left over coals go in the chimney first then new fresh coals on top.   ;)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 06:36:57 PM »
Lump is fine in a kettle..no problemo....
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Pappymn

I think I waste a lot of charcoal
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 06:58:10 PM »

I always start w/ a full chimney also.  when I get done cooking I just shut down the vents.  I use the left over cold coals for the start of my next cook.  left over coals go in the chimney first then new fresh coals on top.   ;)

Ahhhhhhhh. Great tip
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 07:49:31 PM »
If I have residual heat, I just start rumaging the house for stuff to cook.  :D
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS