Author Topic: My Next Purchase for the Weber.  (Read 2417 times)

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
My Next Purchase for the Weber.
« Reply #-1 on: August 18, 2013, 06:44:51 PM »
This is a new section that I have to go to now since I purchased the Weber. I thought that I would just use this as a charcoal grill, but after doing a lot of reading on it, I know that I can also use it as a smoker. And, there are some interesting Add-On's that can be purchased to turn this into a Weber Smokey Mountain or a reasonable facsimile.  :P :P :P :P :P :P

Since I am very much inclined to spend money these days in order to bolster the economy to do my part and buy American, I am going to purchase a product called the Smoke EZ. It is a conversion unit that turns the Weber into a smoker as well as a grill. And, because it is made to the precise measurements of the Weber, I can also put my new Weber Rotissierie on top of this product and use there as well. Whatever. Tim was right: this Weber is like having a Victorianox Swiss Army knife with the 43 different functions.

Here's a picture of the Smoke EZ.

And, this unit is designed with old people with limited mobility in mind as this picture illustrates and demonstrates that no bending is required.

It also comes with a device so that you can hang food products for smoking purposes just like in a drum smoker.

I am not sure that I would ever use this feature, but, it comes with the package. It has the opportunity to use two Weber shelves and a third can be added half way up the unit so that increased grill space can be acquired by simply adding 4 L-shaped brackets. That's a lot of Grill space for a small unit. From their facebook page, it seems that a lot of people have increased the size of the water dish to 18.5 inches by purchasing a stainless steel dish on Amazon.com and using this as a heat diffuser as well. This would be good when creating a fire ring around the unit to give it a slow burn which they say will last for 12 hours. That might be good for either a small pork butt or a small brisket. With my rotissierie, I can also add on the Rib-O-Lator and rotate and smoke ribs in this nifty contraption.

The cost is $199.95 including shipping from Firecraft.com.

I think that I might pull the trigger on Monday.

So what do guys think? Too many gadgets? Already have two smokers. I really like the idea of a good griller and rotissierie for chickens and roasts and that is why I picked up the Weber.

I'd be interested in your feedback.

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline sparky

• northern california
Re: My Next Purchase for the Weber.
« on: August 18, 2013, 07:07:29 PM »
before you pull the trigger ed look at the same type of set up at Cajun bandit.  i like the Cajun bandit unit a little better myself. 
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 07:10:23 PM by sparky1 »
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Dakota Don

• Sioux Falls, South Dakota
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 07:09:05 PM »
ED, What's this talk of 'too many gadgets' ???  I think it all looks good, and it all makes sense. I like my CB Infrared gas grill, I like my MES smoker ... but a Weber charcoal was my first love (we always remember our first) and I want to add one to my arsenal for 'that cook' when you have the time and want that extra layer of flavor the charcoal brings to the party. Note; I said I want to add one, I can't seem to get a permission slip from the front office for that.  :'( :-X  ED, GO FOR IT! We're counting on you buddy, remember, we're all in this together. :D
C.B. BEESR
Masterbuilt Electric Smoker
C.B. 4 Burner Infrared - Natural Gas
Holland Grill - Natural Gas

Offline Pappymn

My Next Purchase for the Weber.
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 07:16:31 PM »
The economy needs you VOD. Go for it!
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 07:18:04 PM »
You remind me of my friend, Albert.
He came to the Gathering a couple of years ago and the "grillin' bug" bit him bad.  He went home and bought cookers and smokers and stuff and started reading the posts from everyone and cookin' up a storm.
Now, he is coming up with his OWN delicious recipes and cookin' some outstanding food.  Problem is...he's still has to go to work every day.  If it weren't for that, he would probably cook enuff food to feed an army.
I have an infrared grill, a large charcoal grill, and an MES on my patio...along with the offset smoker and the vertical gas smoker in the back yard...along with a Cajun Injector Barrel smoker/grill and a small charcoal grill in the "outhouse". 
All seriousness aside, Ed...
I'd say, YES!  You definitely need to "fine tune" your line up with that smokin' thingy from Weber.  You might come up with some kind of meat your other things just won't cook right and be caught without it. 
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 07:32:15 PM »
That's a pretty cool accessory Ed.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 05:52:23 AM »
...or you could buy a WSM Ed.  ;D
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 01:43:40 PM »
great idea i will make me one .
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 02:08:01 PM »
Yeah, it seems like a crazy idea for a guy with two quality smokers. One of the fun things about the Weber is the fact that there are a never ending supply of attachments and upgrades. It is like the toy that lives forever.

I originally purchased this grill because I wanted to switch from a gas grill to a charcoal grill for my steaks, chops, etc. It was only after that I bought the Weber that I learned that you can convert it to a smoker as well. Apparently, the aftermarket manufacturers have developed alternative add-ons that assist in meeting that objective.

After sleeping on this overnight, I do not know for sure that I will do this. As I said, I have a real quality stick burner and a real good pellet smoker. However, what I did order this morning is a smoke ring for the Weber that I can place on top of the Charcoal Grate. I see two good uses for this:

1. It provides a fixed ring around which you can place coals in a horseshoe effect on the outer circle of the ring following the process of the minion method for a longer burn. Place a water bowl in the center and you have moisture content added to the air while you cook. Add a very large water bowl to act both as a water bowl and a heat diffuser.

2. Within the inner circle of the ring, you can add lump charcoal or Kingsford and have this center so that you can maximize the heat for a direct heat cook of a steak or chop.

So, for $33.00 bucks its a start and it provides some capability. I think that I will look on Amazon for a stainless bowl that you can mix dough in to use as a water bowl and heat diffuser and see what they cost.

Ed

An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 02:30:28 PM »
Ed you already have a dedicated smoker so IMHO you should pass on it. If your looking for something cool for your kettle you should get one of these...

http://www.kettlepizza.com/
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 07:57:34 PM »
If I could own only one grill it would be a Weber kettle.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline tnjimbob

• I'm a grillin & smokin' fool.
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 11:51:30 AM »
If I could own only one grill it would be a Weber kettle.

This. ^^^

The Weber Kettle is the Swiss Army Knife of grills.
Rec Tec pellet grill
Traeger Lil' Tex Elite 07E
Weber WSM
Weber SS Performer
Weber OTG w/ rotisserie
Char Broil SRG
A-maze-n-tube smoker
Hyperfast Orange Thermapen