Author Topic: Spicy Pork Butt ... At Least, I Thought It Would Be ...  (Read 2954 times)

Offline Pappymn

Spicy Pork Butt ... At Least, I Thought It Would Be ...
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2013, 06:04:25 PM »

RAD, my first memories of BBQ are sliced pork from a place called Macon Road BBQ up in Columbus, GA; my grandparents would usually buy a couple of pounds of whole pork butt and slice it super thin (just like they did at Macon Road) and serve it on hamburger buns with a little Foy's BBQ sauce (a central GA company) and some homemade pickle slices.  Once I bought the Smokin-It #3 I was able to do justice to this style since it provides such a humid smoking environment.

Between 170-175 is the sweet spot for sliced pork; it slices easily and has a very tender mouth feel.  I typically go 200-205 for pulled but my hands-down favorite is the sliced application.  You can make great BBQ sandwiches, serve it sliced and quickly seared in a nonstick pan with no oil, marinated quickly with some mojo sauce for a Cuban-style pork ... I just think that this end product is more versatile than pulled and provides a more refined presentation.  Plus, the lower temp still lets most of the fat render and leaves only enough to provide a "ribeye" feel to a thicker slice of the pork butt.  Plus, it refrigerates (and freezes) very well and sliced up nicely on an electric slicer for pork sammies  ... a little mustard and mayo, some white bread, and a few bread & butter pickles and you're good to go.

I'm sold. Next butt is sliced
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline UWFSAE

Re: Spicy Pork Butt ... At Least, I Thought It Would Be ...
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2013, 07:41:46 PM »
RAD & Pappy, I think this will be a nice change of pace for both of you.  Don't get me wrong, pulled pork is still stellar ... but I do think you will both enjoy what a sliced preparation brings to the table.
Joe from Crosby, TX
Smokin-It #3
Weber Genesis E-330

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2013, 08:17:13 PM »
Nice Job UWFSAE, That looks Awesome!!

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2013, 11:48:47 PM »

RAD, my first memories of BBQ are sliced pork from a place called Macon Road BBQ up in Columbus, GA; my grandparents would usually buy a couple of pounds of whole pork butt and slice it super thin (just like they did at Macon Road) and serve it on hamburger buns with a little Foy's BBQ sauce (a central GA company) and some homemade pickle slices.  Once I bought the Smokin-It #3 I was able to do justice to this style since it provides such a humid smoking environment.

Between 170-175 is the sweet spot for sliced pork; it slices easily and has a very tender mouth feel.  I typically go 200-205 for pulled but my hands-down favorite is the sliced application.  You can make great BBQ sandwiches, serve it sliced and quickly seared in a nonstick pan with no oil, marinated quickly with some mojo sauce for a Cuban-style pork ... I just think that this end product is more versatile than pulled and provides a more refined presentation.  Plus, the lower temp still lets most of the fat render and leaves only enough to provide a "ribeye" feel to a thicker slice of the pork butt.  Plus, it refrigerates (and freezes) very well and sliced up nicely on an electric slicer for pork sammies  ... a little mustard and mayo, some white bread, and a few bread & butter pickles and you're good to go.

I'm sold. Next butt is sliced

Me too!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven