Author Topic: A NEW question for you  (Read 4588 times)

Offline Jaxon

A NEW question for you
« Reply #-1 on: August 28, 2013, 09:15:20 PM »
Sooo...last weekend I prepped an 8 lb pork butt by coating it with EVOO and a generous coating of "Tommy Rub" and leaving in the fridge overnite (wrapped of course).
I "smoked" it in the offset using seasoned hickory wood to an IT of 170* 'cause I was told by "someone" that the meat won't take any more smoke flavor after 165*. (true or false???)

Well, we wrapped it at 170* and let it go till 200 or so, then let it rest an hour.  Of course, the bone was easy to pull - clean as a whistle - and the meat was not mushy, but had the texture we wanted.  B T W, the smoker kept steady at around 225* the whole time.

HOWEVER...there was very little flavor to the meat and almost NO smoke flavor - NONE!

My question:  Would such a heavy coating of rub keep the smoke from penetrating through to flavor the pork?  It's the only thing I can figger.  Come to think of it, there wasn't much of a smoke ring.  Wouldn't all that oil and rub form a "protective shield" to keep the smoke out?  I was really filibustered by this, but knew if I brought it before "the board" I MIGHT get an answer.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: A NEW question for you
« on: August 28, 2013, 09:49:20 PM »
I would not use olive oil. I don't like the flavor that it adds to some things. I wonder if it is so "fine" that it may have occluded the porosity of the meat.... Yet - mustard and molasses do not seem to be a problem....hmmm....

BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline flbentrider

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 10:03:09 PM »
I've been foregoing the "glue" and the pre-rub for some time now. It did not seem to make that much of a difference.

Now I rub and into the MAK they go, Not as messy either.

Offline Pappymn

A NEW question for you
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 10:19:51 PM »

I would not use olive oil. I don't like the flavor that it adds to some things. I wonder if it is so "fine" that it may have occluded the porosity of the meat.... Yet - mustard and molasses do not seem to be a problem....hmmm....

Occluded and porosity?  Word of the day toilet paper? ???
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 10:25:16 PM »
Sorry Pap...every now and then that darned education thing rears it's ugly head..... :D

How about this: "Yer meat's plugged Jack"...uh, no...now wait that did not sound really like I intended.... :-[ :-X

So - back to occluded porosity as causation for said lack of smoke flavor.... ;D
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Pappymn

A NEW question for you
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 10:38:21 PM »

Sorry Pap...every now and then that darned education thing rears it's ugly head..... :D

How about this: "Yer meat's plugged Jack"...uh, no...now wait that did not sound really like I intended.... :-[ :-X

So - back to occluded porosity as causation for said lack of smoke flavor.... ;D

I graduated with honors from Minnesota Penal. First in my class ???
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 10:58:38 PM »
MiN Penal...did you learn to perform a bris? ;)
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 11:15:26 PM »

I put up an innocent picture and I get cut. Maybe you should get a Moyle

Put French's mustard over the pork butt and then put on some rub that has some brown sugar in it an let it sit over night. Then put more rub on it in the morning when you are going to put it in the smoker. This will help get the smoke flavor and the bark you want on the pork butt.

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline pz

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 11:26:52 PM »

Offline UWFSAE

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 11:30:13 PM »
Ed is right on about the second coat of rub in the morning ... and I find mustard, Sriracha, molasses and honey all to be excellent binders that boost but don't alter flavor.  That being said, some spices are oil soluble and can benefit from (drumroll please) a coating of congealed bacon grease as a binding agent.

Injecting liquids (for spice, not moisture) are an option, as is inserting whole garlic cloves as you would do with some beef preps.  Oddly, I find myself habitually under-salting my cooks which is one of the biggest reasons flavor seems lacking.

Just my two cents ...
Joe from Crosby, TX
Smokin-It #3
Weber Genesis E-330

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 11:47:53 PM »
meat only takes smoke until 140°.  then the muscles tighten up and no more smoke penetration.  put some molasses on your next one.   ;)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 11:50:31 PM »

I put up an innocent picture and I get cut. Maybe you should get a Moyle

Put French's mustard over the pork butt and then put on some rub that has some brown sugar in it an let it sit over night. Then put more rub on it in the morning when you are going to put it in the smoker. This will help get the smoke flavor and the bark you want on the pork butt.

Ed

Thanks Ed...but I "gave at the (Dr.'s )office"...  Dr. Moishe Rabinowcz.... ;)
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Old Dave

• Wood & Charcoal is the only Fuel
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 01:47:00 AM »
Meat wii take smoke as long as smoke is present. The smoke ring will usually quit forming at about 140 internal degrees. You want more smoke ring (and by the way), has very little to do with the amount of smoke flavor in your piece of meat, put the meat into the cooker straight from the fridge. Using a balanced (equal salt to sugar) rub will also help with your smoke ring and of course a sprinkle of Tender Quick will get you there as well.

Smoke ring not very important in the flavor of your meat. A fellow can get a wonderful smoke ring in his kitchen oven using a product like Tender Quick. You want more smoke flavor in you meat, I would suggest leaving it unwrapped in the cooker for a longer period of time and do keep the smoke available and it should help with the results.

Smoke doesn't penetrate your meat very deeply...in most cases, less than 1/4 of an inch and you are only adding smoke to the outside of your product.

Dave
Old Dave
Ribs & Bibs Competition Cooking Team

3 Backwoods--3 Big Green Eggs--2 Char-Broils
1 Cobb--1 Original Fast Eddy Pellet Cooker
1 Traeger & 2 Green Mountain Pellet Cookers
1 Genuswine Rotisserie Smoker--2 Hasty Bakes
1 Orion Cooker--6 Webers--Several Homebuilts

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 04:19:10 AM »
Jack, IMO you just got a less flavorful piece of meet.  The rub woulf not keep flavor out, and as mentioned the smoke quits permeating the meet around 140.  I agree that injecting would help and also some finishing rub can do wonders.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2013, 07:42:29 AM »
Sooo...last weekend I prepped an 8 lb pork butt by coating it with EVOO and a generous coating of "Tommy Rub" and leaving in the fridge overnite (wrapped of course).
I "smoked" it in the offset using seasoned hickory wood to an IT of 170* 'cause I was told by "someone" that the meat won't take any more smoke flavor after 165*. (true or false???)

Well, we wrapped it at 170* and let it go till 200 or so, then let it rest an hour.  Of course, the bone was easy to pull - clean as a whistle - and the meat was not mushy, but had the texture we wanted.  B T W, the smoker kept steady at around 225* the whole time.

HOWEVER...there was very little flavor to the meat and almost NO smoke flavor - NONE!

My question:  Would such a heavy coating of rub keep the smoke from penetrating through to flavor the pork?  It's the only thing I can figger.  Come to think of it, there wasn't much of a smoke ring.  Wouldn't all that oil and rub form a "protective shield" to keep the smoke out?  I was really filibustered by this, but knew if I brought it before "the board" I MIGHT get an answer.

1) the chemical rxn causing smoke ring stops 140F or so, the meat continues to take in smoke flavor, often a disadvantage causing you to OVERSMOKE !
2) most likely cause was OIL coating. Mustard, BBQ sauce, molasses , dry & become a part of the rub,at the temps your running the oil doesn't change & is a hydrophobic barrier .
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp