Author Topic: My Pizza was a Disaster!  (Read 1606 times)

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
My Pizza was a Disaster!
« Reply #-1 on: August 30, 2013, 09:06:55 PM »
 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I'm sorry but this pizza exercise was an absolute disaster. Everything went well up to the point where I put the pizza on the cast iron pan and that was ok. I prepared the dough with the yeast and it came out very well. I had all of the toppings which included sausage, pepperoni, mushrooms, onions, olives, and peppers. Everything went on very well. I put corn meal on the pizza peel. I then moved the dough to the pizza peel brushed the dough with olive oil and put on the toppings. Then I moved the pizza to the pizza pan and it slid right on to the pan perfectly.

Five minutes later, the crust was completely burned and the toppings were still not done. Tried it a second time, burnt the carp out of the crust again. That was enough. I retreated to the kitchen and turned on the oven. Conclusion, direct heat on the Weber is just to darn hot to cook the pizza. If I had gone with indirect heat and built a section with coals on one side, and only one side, this would have  allowed the crust to cook more evenly along with the toppings.

So the third pizza went into our house oven at 450 degrees and that came out fine. That's the way a pizza should have been done.

This has been a temporary defeat. No one got killed and that is a good thing. However, the only damage that did occur is my the waste in the effort and a little bit of dough.

The wife made a couple of pitchers of margaritas so we were feeling no pain and were laughing about this. We will try this again. I think that I was getting close but today it was no cigar. At least there can be a next time.

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: My Pizza was a Disaster!
« on: August 30, 2013, 09:10:19 PM »
Ed - try it next time in your Yoder pellet grill @ 600F....on top shelf. Should cook pretty evenly in about 6.5 to 7 minutes.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Pappymn

My Pizza was a Disaster!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 09:15:06 PM »
So how do 900 degree pizza ovens work? Thought high heat was a good thing?

Hopefully, the pizza experts will weigh in. And you know who you are ;)
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 09:22:46 PM »
Pizza ovens usually have a domed design that lends itself to air turbulence and volatility. And the heat source is not immediately below the crust....So I am going to guess that has something to do with it.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 09:40:12 PM »
If you look at a traditional wood fire pizza oven, the fire is in the back of the oven. The oven has a dome shape effect that circulates the heat around the pizza as it rises and circulates it back to the stone in the floor of the pizza. It is an indirect heat. I just demolished the process by cooking the pizza directly over the heat source. I made the mistake of going against my instincts to use indirect heat by placing either both or one of those side coal pans around the edge of the Weber. If I had gone with my instinct, I would have had a couple of good pizza's. But, I did not do this. The next time, I will do what I always do and go with my instincts.

Pizzas are always cooked by convection or indirect heat whether they are in a professional pizza oven that uses convection or in a unit like PZ. The heat source in the traditional wood fired pizza oven is usually in the back.

I learned my lesson. The next time, I will go with indirect heat on the weber. There is no question in my mind that that the Weber can reach 400 t 450 degree with indirect heat using one of those side charcoal  units.

Ed

Offline RAD

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 10:00:20 PM »
if we don't try we don't learn.  ;)
Love to cook and eat

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 10:03:22 PM »

We eat our mistakes.   Sometimes...    ;) :o

Offline Pappymn

My Pizza was a Disaster!
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 10:26:00 PM »
Great explanation Tee and VOD
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 10:36:04 PM »
Hey...I only have 4-5 good thoughts a year - somebody PLEASE mark that one down will ya? ;D ;D ;D
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline hikerman

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 10:57:10 PM »
Tough luck Ed, sorry. But hey we live to fight another day.

I'd like to add that at that high of temp. obviously your crust will cook faster, but toppings need to be sliced thin, and usually for toppings at a fast cook, less is better.

But the most important thing is, sounds like you had fun. Thats what it's all about sir!
Gene

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 11:07:53 PM »
Ed , I just don't post all my goof-ups ::)
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline pz

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 11:19:12 PM »
Sorry your first try at grillin' pizza didn't turn out, Ed; coincidentally my missus and I did grilled pizza today and it turned our perfect.  In fact, I way over indulged and and now stuffed up to my eyeballs!

However, I'm using a gas grill, and it is turned down to as low as it goes - here's the unit with a cooking pizza on it (click the image to enlarge it)

Notice that the crust is directly on the grill - first the raw dough was painted with olive oil and then placed oil side down directly on the grate.  Once the crust was done on that side, it was turned over to the point where you see it in this image (you can see grill marks) and the toppings are loaded.  The raw side of the pizza is down on the grate at this point and is cooking.  Meanwhile, the side my wife is loading is piping hot, and toppings starting to cook as she is loading the crust.  If you look close you can already see the cheese melting.

Here's the finished product - crust is almost cracker crisp, no trace of burning on either side, and the cheese is melted and tomatoes cooked through (the tomato slices were relatively thick).

I've never tried cooking pizza in a cast iron pan so I can't offer any advice, but one thing I would recommend is that if you try the charcoal grill again, next time fire the crust directly on the grate, and use a much smaller fire - something equivalent to the heat produced by low on a gas grill (sorry, I just don't know enough about controlling charcoal heat).

The wood fired oven is an entirely different story - it is true that the fire is scraped to one side of the chamber, but it is not the direct heat from the coals that is cooking the pizza.  In fact, if you build a fire in the oven and immediately start cooking, you'll end up with poor quality pizza almost guaranteed (I made that mistake and learned my lesson).  The way the oven works is that the fire is built at least a few hours before you plan to bake the pies - the heat from the continuous fire is being stored in the thick walls and floor of the oven so the entire unit is uniformly radiating heat toward the center (that's the reason the dome shape is such an advantage).

Sometimes I fire my pizzas at 900F plus/minus a hundred or so degrees (my thermometer only goes to 900F), and the side of the crust farthest from the coals cooks as quickly as the side that is next to the coals.  Check out this image: the fire is to the right of this pizza, yet the opposite side of the pie (left) is cooking just about as fast as the side closest to the fire. (that pizza was done in 90 seconds)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 11:20:43 PM by pz »

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 11:20:19 PM »
You got the problem diagnosed correctly. But like many said, this is how we learn - you are good to share your experience so the rest of us can learn as well.

As Gene pointed out, if you go to those pizza places with the wood fired ovens, you'll see most of them have fewer ingredients and they are sliced thin and even pre-cooked where possible to help the pizza cook more evenly.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2013, 09:34:34 AM »
Sorry to hear about the pizza old dog. Sounds like ya know the problem and your next pizza is gonna be perfect.  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2013, 09:45:21 AM »
Everything is a learning experience. I guess that I got the nice crisp crust part ok. Guess that I have to get a little less crisp that's all.

As burned as that crust was, I was thinking back to a time when I would have eaten that crust and everything on it 45 years ago. That would have been a gourmet meal. At least I now know how to make Matzo.

Ed