Author Topic: Molasses & Brown Sugar Pork Loin 2.0  (Read 2305 times)

Offline UWFSAE

Molasses & Brown Sugar Pork Loin 2.0
« Reply #-1 on: September 03, 2013, 08:12:52 PM »
So, I had some friends clamoring for some BBQ and I decided to appease them with a nice pork loin since I was working from home today.

Having already posted the first version of the Molasses & Brown Sugar Pork Loin, I felt there were a few variables I'd like to manipulate to see if it would affect the final product.  I used a nearly identical rub to the first attempt, though I increased the chili powder by a tablespoon and added an additional teaspoon of cumin for good measure.  The brine was limited to 18 hours by necessity and I had to substitute turbinado sugar and a healthy splash of molasses in lieu of the brown sugar there.  After brining, the loin was removed, rinsed and patted dry.

With regard to the prep, I again used molasses as the binding agent but I added several shakes of hot sauce before rubbing the pork; my hope is that it would amp up the "zing" of the final dish.

The cooking method was nearly identical ... 235 on the Smokin-It #3 until the IT hit 110, then backed down to 210 until IT reached 145.  I elected to use four ounces of hickory rather than apple (and the final coloring was much lighter than the applewood smoke from last time).  It was then removed and wrapped in HD tinfoil held for a half hour in a small cooler.  A small end sliver, removed solely for "scientific purposes" revealed good flavor and exceptional moisture, though the hot sauce had negligible impact.  Visually ... well, it looked like a demonic loaf of bread.  Eh, I can live with that.

I still may inject the pork loin (for flavor, not moisture) on the next go around.  I'll report back with comments from those actually chowing down later ...

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 08:15:45 PM by UWFSAE »
Joe from Crosby, TX
Smokin-It #3
Weber Genesis E-330

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Molasses & Brown Sugar Pork Loin 2.0
« on: September 03, 2013, 08:18:38 PM »
That is a beauty..it had to taste good......
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 08:22:50 PM »
I really am glad that you did this as I have a fairly large pork loin in the freezer and you have set a good example of the opportunity available to have a success with this roast.

thanks for leading the way.

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
Molasses & Brown Sugar Pork Loin 2.0
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 08:40:40 PM »
Your missing a slice pic ;D ;)

Mike
Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk which will only let me upload 6 pics only. STUPID UPDATE!!
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline hikerman

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 08:44:19 PM »
Now that is picture perfect. Great job!

Offline UWFSAE

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 10:09:21 PM »
Heh, sorry Mike ... since the friend picking it up also closely observing me to prevent any unnecessary nibbles on my part ... for "science", of course ... I forgot the pic.  However, I just got a text that explained the her entire family (two adults, four kids) demolished it and were in a meat coma.  So, that counts as a win in my book!
Joe from Crosby, TX
Smokin-It #3
Weber Genesis E-330

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 10:14:06 PM »
I really am glad that you did this as I have a fairly large pork loin in the freezer and you have set a good example of the opportunity available to have a success with this roast.

thanks for leading the way.

Ed

X-2, many thanks
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline UWFSAE

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 10:19:33 PM »
Ed & CDN, my take on this is that the larger loins are much more forgiving than the pork tenderloins ... and provide a good sized meal to boot.  I do think the brine is a winner when you want a really juicy final product.
Joe from Crosby, TX
Smokin-It #3
Weber Genesis E-330

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 10:23:52 PM »
As and alternate to brining ( READ: I forget sometimes to plan ahead... ;D ) I have had really good success injecting a combination of broth and clarified butter - blended at high speed for a minute or to homogenize it.

Better than Bouillon is my favor brand of broth concentrate for this.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 10:38:30 PM »
Looks great. Thanks for the tips and suggestions!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 10:56:33 PM »
WOW look at the crust on that baby!  :P :P :P

I'd be happy with a 1/2" slice of the bark on a couple slices of bread!
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline pz

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2013, 11:30:51 PM »
Man, that looks good.  I've yet to do a pork loin that isn't dry.  One of these days I have to get it right

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2013, 11:57:12 PM »
Great color on the loin!!! I have not done a loin in awhile but find a brine overnight 24 hrs. or a good injection is needed to keep them from being dry. If I smoke at all it is usually just an hour then finish at 300 deg. and 135 to 145 deg. IT is good, then wrap and rest for an hour. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline UWFSAE

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 12:01:11 AM »
Tee, I'm a fan of injecting as well ... my briskets I do for moisture/flavor and the pork butts just flavor.  I've been wanting a sharper edge (heat, a little salt or vinegar, etc.0 to the middle of my loins and brining gets me close.  I'm thinking about doing the injection with some sort of fat-based paste (bacon grease, chili powder, cumin, etc.) for a super slow cook ... we'll see if that turns the trick.  As far as the "Better Than Bouillon", I have the beef and chicken flavors in the fridge; it's wonderful stuff if a bit salty.  The Kitchen Basics brand of stocks is my go-to for anything that needs stock as a primary ingredient (soups, etc.) when I'm too lazy to make it homemade.

PZ, these two loins have been ridiculously juicy; the brining has something to do with it but it's also a wonderful benefit of the Smokin-It (as well as Cookshack and SmokinTex) designs, even when I decide not to use a small water pan with some beer or apple juice.  If I were doing this without that closed environment I'd likely enrobe it with bacon or wrap after it's had some smoke.

Don, I am in your camp with stick burners but the beauty of this type of electric smoker is the one-step no-foil method ... I've got the moisture of the method you prescribe with a very good bark that stands up to the resting process.
Joe from Crosby, TX
Smokin-It #3
Weber Genesis E-330

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2013, 01:11:28 AM »
[quote
Don, I am in your camp with stick burners but the beauty of this type of electric smoker is the one-step no-foil method ... I've got the moisture of the method you prescribe with a very good bark that stands up to the resting process.
[/quote]
I knew you were doing it diff than me, I use a pellet smoker, not a stick burner. I think you might be close if you just inject some of the brine when you start the brine and if you want heat add the hot sauce to the injection. I like the molasses on pork gives a nice color. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/