Cured Meats & Food Preservation > COLD SMOKING!

Cheddar Cheese Cold Smoking w/ A-Maze-N-Tube Smoker

<< < (2/3) > >>

Sam3:

--- Quote from: ACW3 on September 06, 2013, 07:42:56 AM ---I have used the ice cube trick when it was really too hot to cold smoke.  It worked.  I now try to wait until the weather gets much colder and then I go buy up a load of cheese and cold smoke it all at once.  After I vacuum seal it comes the "waiting time".  I make enough so that I almost always have cold smoked cheese available year round.

Be sure to try different fruit woods for cold smoking your cheeses. 

Art

--- End quote ---

I do the same. Last batch I went with 3 hours of smoke and I wasn't thrilled with it.
This year, I'm going back to 2 hours of smoke. Apple is my choice of wood/pellets.

pz:
Unless it is cold outside, I've not been able to get my Traeger to do cold smoke successfully - in my area I always seem to develop cheese-sicles, so I switched to the Bradley, which is famous for low temperature smoking.  The problem With the Bradley in the height of summer is that it is still too hot, and the same cheese-sicle still develop.

NepaSmoker posted a technique for the Bradley in which he separated the smoke generator from the main tower - worked perfectly for me and decreased the tower temperature by 20F.

However, I have also tried the ice cube trick which unfortunately left condensation on my cheese - a solution is to freeze water in a sealed container before adding to the smoker.  That way you have the benefits of adding cold without adding moisture.

deestafford:
pz, The idea of freezing in a ziplock bag is really a neat tip.  Dee

nepas:
Terry

When i had a Traeger i did cold cheese. Back then we only had the dust style amzns. What i did was to take the bolts that attatch the stack to the main body off, invert the stack (upside down) and put the bolts back in. Makes the smoke stay in the Traeger longer.

terryk:

--- Quote from: pz on September 07, 2013, 12:34:55 AM ---Unless it is cold outside, I've not been able to get my Traeger to do cold smoke successfully - in my area I always seem to develop cheese-sicles, so I switched to the Bradley, which is famous for low temperature smoking.  The problem With the Bradley in the height of summer is that it is still too hot, and the same cheese-sicle still develop.

NepaSmoker posted a technique for the Bradley in which he separated the smoke generator from the main tower - worked perfectly for me and decreased the tower temperature by 20F.

However, I have also tried the ice cube trick which unfortunately left condensation on my cheese - a solution is to freeze water in a sealed container before adding to the smoker.  That way you have the benefits of adding cold without adding moisture.

--- End quote ---

I use plastic juice containers filled with water for the ice, not much condensation that way.  I am also only using the Traeger for containing the smoke from the Tube Smoker, I don't fire up the Traeger at all and very little heat is produced by the Tube Smoker.  Traeger does make a Cold Smoker that can be attached at the stack end but I still think it would be difficult to keep it cool enough for cheese. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version