Author Topic: Rib Tips  (Read 711 times)

Offline txpops

Rib Tips
« Reply #-1 on: September 06, 2013, 11:33:13 PM »
I got some rib tips on sale today. I've never cooked them before so I'm looking for some general guidelines. I'm thinking the 3-2-1 method is way too long for just the tips.  I will probably cook them on my pellet grill because that does the best job on my spare ribs. Anybody have a good recipe/procedure they care to share?

Thanks
Mike
Original Bradley smoker w/dual element mod
Dual-Probe auber pid
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil Beesr
Outdoor Gourmet Pellet Grill
Camp Chef DLX pellet grill
Old Smokey #22 charcoal grill
Excalibur 9 tray dehydrator

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Rib Tips
« on: September 07, 2013, 07:57:22 AM »
I would say you are over thinking it a bit if you are treating them like full slabs of ribs (wrapping and such).  Just throw some of whatever rib rub you like on them, smoke them until the meat pulls back from the bone a little bit (about 3 hours or so at 250) and sample.  An easy method is to buy full spares and cut the tips off then pull the tips when you are wrapping the trimmed ribs.  They make great munchies while waiting for other stuff to cook.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 08:43:21 AM »
Rib tips?  Did you say rib tips?

I just happen to have an idea for rib tips that you should try at least once.

Lemme know what you think.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 02:31:52 PM »
Quote from: sliding_billy
I would say you are over thinking it a bit if you are treating them like full slabs of ribs (wrapping and such).

Touché! I couldn't have said it better! :)

If you think about it, cutting the rib tips off is optional. They are a part of the ribs, and there is absolutely no need to treat them any differently. If you leave them attached you'd be cooking them the same as the ribs anyway. So, I just cook them the same way and they turn out just as good.

Side note: I think the 3-2-1 method is too long for ribs, let alone rib tips, but if that's what you're used to and comfortable with, then use it for your tips too! :)

Other side note: What Jaxon is referring to is just the meat part above the tips and/or the skirt flap - and will work great for his idea (which I really like, and plan to try by the way).  Usually the rib tips include the cartilage at the upper end of the bones.

Whatever you do cook them puppies up and don't waste them. They are excellent eating. You just have to spit out the cartilage. And PLEASE be sure to get some pics to share with us! ;)

« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 02:43:12 PM by TentHunteR »
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68