Author Topic: Griddle on a Grill  (Read 11281 times)

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
Griddle on a Grill
« Reply #-1 on: September 08, 2013, 09:48:03 PM »
I haven't used most of the outdoor cooking equipment listed in my signature line since I bought my pellet grill.  The Weber kettle and Bradley smoker languish in storage.  The CharBroil Gasser is still on my deck but is used so sparingly that some mice became squatters.

I have had plans to make a mild steel griddle top for it but the cost projections were too high.  I couldn't shake the griddle yen though so I recently yielded by purchasing this Little Griddle brand.

I sterilized the grill and broke in the griddle with a quick batch of hamburgers tonight.  Taste-wise they rank third behind hamburgers cooked over a pellet (wood) fire and charcoal.

Teppanyaki stir-fry tomorrow night.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Griddle on a Grill
« on: September 08, 2013, 09:50:28 PM »
That is a neat griddle! Where did you find it, and what did it cost - if I may ask...?
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 09:52:12 PM »
Would be curious what kind of surface temps your getting. You got a infrared temp gun to check?
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Pappymn

Griddle on a Grill
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 09:57:08 PM »

That is a neat griddle! Where did you find it, and what did it cost - if I may ask...?

X2
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline pmillen

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 10:22:05 PM »

http://www.littlegriddle.com

It's a GQ-230.  Dimensions (Handles Attached) - 25" W x 16.0" D x 6.5" H
Weight - 16.0 lbs.

They have several sizes.  Prices vary by size and material gauge.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline pmillen

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 10:36:08 PM »
Would be curious what kind of surface temps your getting. You got a infrared temp gun to check?

My temperatures may not be an indication of yours.  My gasser was originally a CharBroil infrared with three 10,000 BTU burners.  I deep sixed the infrared generators and replaced them with GrillGrates.  Temperature control is difficult.  I watched the burner flames one evening as I turned the gas down.  Flame control was coarse, almost like a light switch, either full on or off.

I have an IR thermometer with adjustable emissivity but I monitored the griddle temperatures with a ThermoWorks surface probe.  I was trying to obtain 350° but it was always way above or way below.  If I could control the propane with the sensitivity of my kitchen range I might be able to find the sweet spot.  It won't be possible with the CharBroil.
Paul

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 11:42:39 PM »
Paul,  I have one similar to yours and it is really handy.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 07:05:20 AM »
Good idea.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline pmillen

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 11:49:43 AM »
Paul,  I have one similar to yours and it is really handy.  Dee
It should be handy, Dee.  Teppanyaki chicken tonight for the first time.  I'm working on the onion volcano and practicing flipping food morsels into open mouths.  I'll audition at Benihana in a few weeks.

Oddly, I'm looking forward to grilling garlic toasts.  I can't seem to get it right on regular grill grates.

I'm also thinking about cold smoking steaks, cooking them sous vide and searing them on the griddle.  A cast iron frying pan would sear just fine but the griddle has greater capacity.
Paul

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 01:45:26 PM »
Paul,

A griddle is fun - sometimes there is nothing better than a flat top burger (at least in my mind...  ;) ) I like using my big ol' Blackstone for teppanyaki (did a video once - not sure where it is anymore.) When we have softball parties - we do a ton of sliders on the flat top along with philie cheese steaks and fajitas. Haven't gotten too good at the volcano - let me know when you figure out the tricks!  ;D

My girls love breakfast cooked on the flat top and served on the deck in the summer and fall.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline pz

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 01:48:41 PM »
I love a flat top - I wish that my stove manufacturer would have made an accessory that would turn the entire 4-burner into a large thick steel flat top.  Might have one fabricated one of these days

Offline pmillen

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 02:23:58 PM »
[W]e do a ton of sliders on the flat top along with philie cheese steaks and fajitas.

My girls love breakfast cooked on the flat top and served on the deck in the summer and fall.

David, I've also been thinking along those lines—pancakes, eggs and hash browns on the griddle.  I'll probably continue to cook the bacon in my pellet pit.  It's the best bacon I can cook.

If I do Philly cheese steak sandwiches or fajitas I'll be cooking for just myself.  They aren't for Marcia's Norwegian palate—BUT I saved a Philly cheese recipe before I bought the griddle.  (One of us has to be disappointed.  I'd rather it be her.) 

(I hope she never reads this.)
Paul

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 02:40:10 PM »
Paul,

Breakfast on the flat top / griddle is fantastic. I have found that eggs are difficult (unless you want scrambled.) I have been doing the eggs in a cast iron skillet on the flat top - a cook I met at a dive told me that's the right way to do it to get them just right. It does seem to work better... go figure. My kids love breakfast burritos - scrambled eggs, peppers, onions, hash browns, sausage - wrapped up in tortillas warmed on the flat top. A side of pancakes and bacon, lots of orange juice and milk. They can pack it in when we do the cooking on the deck! Their friends always want to stay over when they know breakfast is on the deck.

I totally understand the Norwegian palate. We have the same issues here.

I did find my OLD flat top video - it wasn't teppanyaki - it was yakisoba.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 02:57:10 PM by drholly »
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline pz

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2013, 05:20:29 PM »
Nicely done, David - the video and the food  ;)