Author Topic: Scouring a Stainless Steel Griddle (or Maybe Not)  (Read 5047 times)

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
Scouring a Stainless Steel Griddle (or Maybe Not)
« Reply #-1 on: September 09, 2013, 09:51:17 PM »
The videos produced by the manufacturer of my stainless steel griddle show the cook splashing water on the hot griddle and the grease lifting off, leaving a surface that looks like new.

Not so much with mine.  This is after two cooks.

As an experiment I scoured it with steel wool and Barkeepers' Friend.  It will all come off after tendinitis-inducing scrubbing.

Is it okay to leave it like this for the next cook?

Should I intentionally season it like I do for cast iron?
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: Scouring a Stainless Steel Griddle (or Maybe Not)
« on: September 09, 2013, 10:50:42 PM »
My flat top is never perfectly cleaned. I d my best, but there are almost always some colors...
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 10:54:02 PM »
One of the things I like about the stainless steel griddles are they are sort of like me:  they can get really dirty yet with a little effort they can clean up fairly good...not completely, but good enough to be seen by decent folks.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 11:20:07 PM »
Was kind of wondering about the seasoning/ non stick properties of these griddles. I have a small griddle as part of my cook top, but need some kind of lubricant to keep things moving......
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Dakota Don

• Sioux Falls, South Dakota
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 12:09:24 AM »
What a timely post PMILLEN! I just got one of these a few days ago (the Lodge cast iron was too big for my 2 burner Quantum grill, so I got this) I was going to post the exact same comments and question. I, too, have cooked on it twice and mine now looks exactly like yours. I just finished the second cook (2 cheeseburgers) earlier this evening and have been scrubbing on it for an hour. I want the guy on the video to bring HIS bottle of water over here and show me how it's done. He must be using some special kind of water or something.   :o
C.B. BEESR
Masterbuilt Electric Smoker
C.B. 4 Burner Infrared - Natural Gas
Holland Grill - Natural Gas

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 07:25:04 AM »
I would think that some type of polishing pad or abrasive would be required.

The hot water trick will work on freshly cooked stuff but burnt-in stuff would require a drill and mild polishing pad IMHO.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline pmillen

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 08:24:20 AM »
I think I'll stop by a restaurant supply and talk with them and maybe pick up a pumice stone.

OR I'll season it.

OR I'll call it good.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline slaga

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 08:42:21 AM »

I haven't used mine yet but in the restaurants I've been in they usually just throw a glass of ice on the hot griddle and use the scraper to get the gunk off. I would think that would work here too except I plan on using a Scoth Brite grill pad and ice.
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Facilities-Care-Cleaning-NA/commercial-cleaning/cleaning-supplies/~/Scotch-Brite-Quick-Clean-Heavy-Duty-Griddle-Pad-746-4-in-x-5-25-in-15-case?N=4294411370+6702276&Nr=AND(hrcy_id%3AXTRFN15V5Ngs_ZBG38J0DZD_N2RL3FHWVK_GPD0K8BC31gv)&rt=d

I know this is a bit different but scrubbing my s/s pans at home I put about 1/4" of water in the pan and bring it to a boil and use a nylon scrubbing brush and the gunk comes right off and then a little Steel Glo & hot water to polish the rest up. I use very little elbow grease and they always come out looking like new. I am hoping I can do this to the griddle once I start using it.

Offline Hub

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 08:47:43 AM »
At the snackbar where I worked many, many, many, many, many years ago we cleaned the flat top with pickle juice.  Just poured a cup or two right on it then used the spatula to scrape off anything stuck on.  The steam from it would make your eyes water but it always cleaned up quite nicely  ;D

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 10:43:23 AM »

At the snackbar where I worked many, many, many, many, many years ago we cleaned the flat top with pickle juice.  Just poured a cup or two right on it then used the spatula to scrape off anything stuck on.  The steam from it would make your eyes water but it always cleaned up quite nicely  ;D

Hub

They had pickles that long ago? ;D
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 11:11:14 AM »
All the griddles / flat-tops I see at Waffle House, etc are well seasoned and dark, though they clean them several times a day with a pumice stone and water.
If you get it too clean food will stick like glue.
Right after I take the food off the Susy-Cue, and before I turn the heat off, I pour some water on it and use a broad metal spatula to scrape off the excess food and such.  There is a trough at the front and I just scrape everything in there till after we eat - then come back and finish cleaning.
If you watch those griddle guys, you'll see them add some oil directly to the area where they cook - sometimes a little, sometimes a lot.  That's gotta help.
B T W, not all the food cooked on the griddle needs to be cooked at "full blast".  Try reducing the heat to reduce the sticking.
Remember, it doesn't have to be spotless and shiny to be clean.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline pmillen

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 11:43:47 AM »
All the griddles / flat-tops I see at Waffle House, etc are well seasoned and dark, though they clean them several times a day with a pumice stone and water.

The only restaurant flat top I was ever around was the same as you describe but it wasn't stainless steel.  I think it was just mild steel that is typically kinda dark, looking like seasoned.  They cleaned it at the end of the day with pumice.  I don't think they ran pumice over it during the day.

Right after I take the food off the Susy-Cue, and before I turn the heat off, I pour some water on it and use a broad metal spatula to scrape off the excess food and such.  There is a trough at the front and I just scrape everything in there till after we eat - then come back and finish cleaning.

Yup.  Me too.  But the tan discoloring doesn't budge.

If you watch those griddle guys, you'll see them add some oil directly to the area where they cook - sometimes a little, sometimes a lot.  That's gotta help.

Again, me too.  Although I think the tan discolored areas are places where that oil sat and burned (seasoned?).

B T W, not all the food cooked on the griddle needs to be cooked at "full blast".  Try reducing the heat to reduce the sticking.

I completely agree.  I suspect that I have too much heat.  The problem is with my CharBroil Quantum grill.  The control knobs are like a light switch, either full on or off.  So my heat regulation is coarse.  I may try to find replacements that provide the gas control I need.

Remember, it doesn't have to be spotless and shiny to be clean.

I agree here, too.  One of my demons (that I can talk about) is that I tend to have high and somewhat capricious appearance standards.

All good suggestions, Jax.  Thanks.

I recall that my mother used to clean certain pots with cream of tarter.  I'll google and experiment.
Paul

Offline Hub

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 02:17:45 PM »

Hub

They had pickles that long ago? ;D

mmmmmm. . . come to think of it maybe those were dinosaur turds in seawater  ::)
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 03:52:13 PM »
Grapefruit juice and a bench scrapper works well...

Just throw some grapefruit juice on a hot griddle and scrape off the junk with a bench scrapper...

Ice also works well.

Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2013, 04:20:59 PM »

Grapefruit juice and a bench scrapper works well...

Just throw some grapefruit juice on a hot griddle and scrape off the junk with a bench scrapper...

Ice also works well.

I'm a moron. What specifically is a bench scraper?
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109