Author Topic: Brinkmann is in the game...  (Read 597 times)

Offline Jaxon

Brinkmann is in the game...
« Reply #-1 on: September 10, 2013, 12:39:29 PM »
Though it doesn't get high reviews (maybe pilot error), they have a pellet grill:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Brinkmann-Wood-Pellet-Grill-810-3091-SB/204318416#customer_reviews

<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline Hub

Re: Brinkmann is in the game...
« on: September 10, 2013, 02:40:08 PM »
Hitting the $500 price point with a pellet cooker is hard to do but I'm sure Brinkmann has the production capacity and material buying power to do it.  I haven't seen any reviews, but then I haven't looked for any, either.  It is an attractively styled unit.  I wish them well.  Distributing through big box retailers is difficult because sales are so often impulse and the floor staff have minimal or no knowledge and are not incented to develop it.  The number of returned units may be higher than normal due to uninformed buyers expecting heavy smoke from it and not doing any research about pellet cooking techniques.  On the flip side, this could be a boon to the second buyer who picks it up at a discount and who knows what he or she is buying.

I've had two Brinkmann cookers.  The first was a very simple, small charcoal smoker with two racks and a water pan.  I bought it in the earlly 80's and used it a few times before giving it away.  It was a bear to keep any kind of steady temperature and the metal was very thin and rusted quickly.  The second was a small offset.  It was high maintenance as well but I did finally learn to do basic smoking on it and the firebox doubled as a grill.  It rusted out in about three years.  My guess (I haven't seen one up close and personal) is that the metal will be thin on this pellet cooker to hold down costs.  That will only affect temperature stability/pellet consumption/lifespan, not cooking quality for those who learn to use it.  Also, if well maintained, it should last several years.

I'm glad to see Brinkmann enter the pellet cooker market.  Overall, the "popularity of the breed" will only increase ultimately and this will be a positive thing for higher end pellet cooker companies (MAK, Memphis, FE, Yoder, etc.) which will be trade-up targets for those wanting more features/space/benefits after learning on a more basic, less expensive machine.  The further proliferation of good brand cooking pellets into more stores will be appreciated by us pellet cookers, too.

Hub
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 02:42:44 PM by Hub »
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 02:49:34 PM »
Nice little unit, but for the money I would rather have the Cook Chef. 

I wonder if this will set CharBroil off to the drawing board to get their own pellet pooper going?

CharBroil only seems interested in infrared cooking right now, which I love by the way.   I just hate to see them get so far behind in the pellet market   
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 02:52:21 PM »
Only Brinkmann I have ever owned is my ECB (which I still use for occasional small cooks), so it is hard for me to know how well it might be made without seeing/trying it.  It does look decent, but most everything does in a stock photo.  Weber next?
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 04:47:18 PM »
Is that a rebadged Teton?

I'm thinking that the Teton is a rebadged something else but I can't dredge it up (Char-Griller?).  I'm lost in the rebadging maze.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas