Author Topic: I seasoned some cast iron...  (Read 4958 times)

Offline Wingman

• Central Maine
I seasoned some cast iron...
« Reply #-1 on: September 11, 2013, 11:51:16 AM »
I’ve always wanted a griddle on the deck but my better half says something has to go before another cooking item can be added and I’m not giving up what I’ve got so what to do?
I recently rehabbed my 2004 Weber Genesis Silver putting in new burners, flavorizers, new hose, igniter and warming rack and in doing so I found out that Weber offers a griddle for my grill.  It takes the place of one grate.  Be still my beating heart!  All this time I could have had a griddle.  So I ordered one and have just today finished seasoning it with 6 coats of flax seed oil.  I can’t wait to use this baby.  I’ve got 2 pounds of Jimmy Dean sausage ready to christen it.

I really like my Lodge Pizza Pan a lot, but the cooking surface was pebbly rough so I sanded it down and seasoned it at the same time.  It is not baby’s bottom smooth but way better than it was.  This thing works great on the gasser.

Finally, at a garage sale for $10, I bought a 10” Wagner skillet that sits flat and is very smooth on the inside from use.  I sandblasted it and seasoned it at the same time as the others.  I love this cast iron stuff.  Now all I need to find is a 12” skillet and I’ll be set.  Well…maybe a Dutch oven, too.  And maybe a...?   ;D

"You will thank us for smoking."

Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Spirit E310
Weber Performer Premium
MAK 1 Star #184
Bradley OBS #968,312

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
Re: I seasoned some cast iron...
« on: September 11, 2013, 11:54:08 AM »

So when is breakfast??

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 11:59:59 AM »
I like it!
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Pappymn

I seasoned some cast iron...
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 12:07:28 PM »
I have a pan in need of your love. Sending it over.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Sam3

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 12:27:42 PM »
Loving that pizza pan!
MAK 1 Star #385
Bradley OBS w/mods
WSM 22.5
Weber Platinum
Char Broil BEESR
La Caja China
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 12:31:22 PM »
Your pizza pan is exactly like mine..no need to sand it down..that keeps it from sticking. Just season well and go for it..no soap..just hot water and a SS scrubber, let it dry good and go for it. I made a breakfast pizza and apple pie pizza on mine last weekend. Apple pie filling on pizza dough with crumbles on top with caramel sauce when it was done, and sausage gravy for sauce on breakfast pizza with ham, bacon, scrambled eggs, onions, gr peppers and cheeses..YUM. Enjoy.  Pam .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Wingman

• Central Maine
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 12:42:03 PM »
and sausage gravy for sauce on breakfast pizza with ham, bacon, scrambled eggs, onions, gr peppers and cheeses..YUM. Enjoy.  Pam .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ
Ooh, I could get into that!
BTW, I'm never using Veep.  That made me laugh so hard I cried.

Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Spirit E310
Weber Performer Premium
MAK 1 Star #184
Bradley OBS #968,312

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 01:34:46 PM »
That's good looking CI you have, Wingman.  I love my CI that I care for indoors.  I can't care for my outdoor CI nearly as well (that stuff like grill grates that doesn't return to the kitchen).

I may have to replace my gasser.  If I do, I'll look at the Genesis just because they offer that griddle.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 01:42:25 PM »
That griddle is a Great find and a thing of beauty.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 01:56:15 PM »
That is a really good job you did.  However,  you have opened the door for TwoPockets and CI because he's got a dump truck load of that stuff.  As  a matter of fact, I think Lodge comes to his stash when they are running low on inventory. ;)  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline Wingman

• Central Maine
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 02:15:13 PM »
That is a really good job you did.  However,  you have opened the door for TwoPockets and CI because he's got a dump truck load of that stuff.  As  a matter of fact, I think Lodge comes to his stash when they are running low on inventory. ;)  Dee

Dee, around my parts that stuff has gotten valuable.  I was at a bread fair recently where some guy was selling used CI, all Wagner and Griswold, that he had cleaned and seasoned.  The least expensive piece was $40.  TwoPockets must be sitting on a gold mine.

Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Spirit E310
Weber Performer Premium
MAK 1 Star #184
Bradley OBS #968,312

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 02:22:37 PM »
Here in Ohio, CI is worth a fortune now. I couldn't afford what I already own now. Pam .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Wingman

• Central Maine
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 03:02:02 PM »

I may have to replace my gasser.  If I do, I'll look at the Genesis just because they offer that griddle.

Paul, my personal feeling is that grill manufacturers are missing the boat here.  If I went looking for a grill and one was offered that came with a griddle that could be changed out for a grate, like this one, I would be going home with that grill, assuming it was a quality product otherwise.  It wouldn't add that much to the price and who doesn't like a cast iron griddle? 

They don't make my grill any more but the box in which the griddle came listed a lot of Weber grills that this would fit.  Weber does it right, I think.

Dean

Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Spirit E310
Weber Performer Premium
MAK 1 Star #184
Bradley OBS #968,312

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 03:54:52 PM »
I've got a round CI griddle like your pizza iron that fits perfectly on my SRG.  As a matter of fact that's what I bought it for.

The Lodge outlet and factory is about 60mi up the interstate from Chattanoga.  So if you're ever in that neck of the woods drop in.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2013, 04:46:51 PM »
Last week I changed the infrared emitters and the S S grates in my Quantum 4 Burner.  All new emitters and CAST IRON grates.  They are NICE.  I have a S S Suzy-Que griddle to use on this grill.  I hope to be cooking some yakisoba this weekend after watching drHolly work his magic.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!