Author Topic: I seasoned some cast iron...  (Read 4959 times)

Offline pz

Re: I seasoned some cast iron...
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2013, 10:34:19 PM »
Cast iron is my favorite cooking surface of all time.  Most of my iron is nearly 14 years old and has never seen soap - only hot water and a plastic bristle brush.  The best non-stick pans I've used do not compare to my pitch black 12-inch.

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2013, 06:32:36 AM »
Broilmaster also makes a griddle for its grills. I replaced on of my cast iron grate with the griddle.

Unfortunately the newer grates for the Broilmaster P3 are SS, they no longer make the cast iron grates but I have a back up set of grates so when one set gets bad I just take them out and wire brush them with the electric drill while using the second set for cooking.

Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2013, 11:24:16 AM »
What a great griddle! I have cast iron grates on my Weber Performer (https://www.cast-iron-grate.com/) and love them. These let you pop in different surfaces.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Wingman

• Central Maine
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2013, 11:01:00 AM »
Just a 5-second Jimmy Dean sizzle teaser.  Good stuff for a christening... or anytime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i-wP9WYw80&feature=youtu.be

"You will thank us for smoking."

Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Spirit E310
Weber Performer Premium
MAK 1 Star #184
Bradley OBS #968,312

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2013, 06:46:51 PM »
I love cast iron, I think I am down to around a hundred pieces of cast iron cookware now. I sold about 300 or so a few years back. Most of the cast iron we have is over 100 years old, mostly old Wagner Ware and Griswold. I have some newer Lodge and a couple of 14 inch round Chinese griddles from Academy Sports. As information, when you are out at flea markets and antique stores and see cast iron marked simply "USA" and the design number like SK-8 for a size 8 skillet, it almost certainly Lodge. They did not start putting the Lodge name on their cast iron until the 1990's. That old Lodge is much smoother cast also. We have about 6-8 pieces we cook on frequently and most of that was my wife's grandmothers. Most of my old iron is sitting in storage but I haven't gotten the nerve to part with it.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline pz

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2013, 10:24:06 PM »
You're a lucky man, Ken!

Thanks for the information about old Lodge - my favorite cast iron.  Of course, I personally don't know any better brand first hand.