Author Topic: Why I have 2 Pellet Machines  (Read 1746 times)

Offline Hub

Why I have 2 Pellet Machines
« Reply #-1 on: September 13, 2013, 05:49:48 PM »
I've become a great fan of the "reverse sear".  That means a little "smoke bath" prior to the cook.  Works wonders for a steak but today I tried it on some chicken bits I got on sale at the grocery store.  My old Traeger with the infamous 225 Out-Of-Controller is a study in almost flaming out while on the SMOKE setting.  Here (my camera is a cheap one and my aim isn't that great either) the temp is 151 but it often dips into the high 130's.  Scary!

In order not to stay in the "zone" too long with poultry I limited the smoking to about 30 minutes.  Now I've moved to "225" but I'm never sure what will happen

If all goes well I've got some barbequed chicken for dinner.  If all doesn't go well I'll fire up the Memphis and finish these off under more reliable conditions.  I love to experiment  :o

Hub
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 06:08:31 PM by Hub »
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Why I have 2 Pellet Machines
« on: September 13, 2013, 09:14:33 PM »
As long as you are having fun...
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 09:21:16 PM »
I am a fan of the pre-smoke too Hub. I typically fire up one of Todd's Amazen tube smokers and put it under the drip pan, on top of the auger housing, furthest away from the fire pot . When I turn on the pit - I just leave it in there and only take it out when cleaning up before the next cook.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 09:41:12 PM »
I like using the reverse sear on many different things.  As you say it is great on steaks.  It's really the best of both the smoking world and the grilling world.  Even though I can smoke and grill at the same time on a number of my cookers smoking solely for awhile and then finishing off grilling is really a treat.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 11:09:30 PM »
Hub living on the edge like that makes for better tasting food!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Hub

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 07:47:03 AM »
Post Mortem:  It wasn't necessary to fire up the Memphis.  The ol' Traeger never flamed out and for the last 30 minutes I kicked it up to 325.  The bits came out perfectly cooked and quite tasty with just the right amount of smokness.  What I forgot to do was spray them with some margarine spray before I took the temperature up, so the skin was leathery.   This omission was likely fueled by the tee martoonies I enjoyed during the adventure  ::)

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN