Author Topic: Another Toy for My BBQ Addiction!  (Read 3990 times)

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
Another Toy for My BBQ Addiction!
« Reply #-1 on: September 15, 2013, 01:57:46 PM »
Yesterday my wife and I took a road trip to Augusta to scope out the location for the upcoming Gathering.   After we located the
place we decided to stop at Costco before heading back home.  Well, lo and behold Traeger was there and doing their demos. 
I was hoping they had the Tailgater model but they didn’t so I was “convinced” by my wife and the sales person that the Traeger
Junior would do better than the Tailgater.  So since we like to do a lot of traveling and using camp out on a lot of visits to our kids
we went with the Junior.  Got home late last night so just put it together in the living room until this morning.

Here it is after the initial burn in and now coming up to temp again before I season it with some bacon.

I used 1.5 pounds of thick cut Wrights Peppered Bacon on the mats I got from Todd at A-MAZE-N.

1.5 hours on smoke, using Traeger Mesquite and then I flipped the bacon.  Will let it go a while longer before pulling.

Here is the finished bacon!  Not quite as crispy as I like, but this is the way my wife likes them, so… 8). Bacon has a
nice light smoky flavor that does not overpower the bacon.

I really believe I am going to like this grill for smaller items and for campgrounds.  I did order the Ortech TR-100 controller
and also the new collapsible Traeger folding leg kit.  It looks like another week before I get my Blaz’n Grill Works Grid Iron
delivered so until then I will continue to play around with the Junior and get a feel for the different settings.  I know they
will probably be different on the bigger and better built Blaz’n but since I have never cooked on pellets before it is a learning
experience for me.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Another Toy for My BBQ Addiction!
« on: September 15, 2013, 02:15:59 PM »
That is a nice looking grill and that bacon looks like this grill is going to treat you right.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 02:22:45 PM »
I started with a junior as my first pellet grill. You can run it off a 400w inverter once you change out the controller. The three speed controller cannot run on an inverter.

The junior has a firepot that is about the same size as the Lil Tex with a much smaller cooking area. This can create much more temp swings due to the air movement and smaller interior.

Putting a few bricks in the bottom interior of the cooker will help regulate the heat. The bricks will get hot and keep the interior at a much more even temp.

I also had modified mine with a upper shelf, smoke daddy, and a PID

I sold it last year after buying a Memphis.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Hub

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 02:27:31 PM »
The Junior can be a very capable little cooker.  You were smart to get the new controller, though.  You'll see a major difference in your cooking range.  The leg kit also makes it decently portable.

If you have any problems, be sure to speak up.  Lots of Traeger drivers hanging around here.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 02:29:19 PM »
Congratulations on both of your purchases and into the world of pellet smoking. I think that you will enjoy the experience.

I find that with the pellet smoker, all I have to do is set the temperature and make sure that the hopper is filled with pellets. If I can attach a probe to monitor the temperature of the meat product, all I have to do is sit back, watch football, take a nap, or whatever and the pellet grill runs by itself providing outstanding results. They are very useful especially on long cooks that go 10 to 16 hours or more. Just think, low and slow.

Good luck and enjoy your new "toys".

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline hikerman

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 02:42:34 PM »
Congratulations HOS on your new pellet pooper!  Good luck on many good cooks on your new toy!

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 06:30:04 PM »
Congrats on the new "toy."
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 09:27:00 PM »
Congratulations - looking forward to seeing your cooks!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 10:23:29 PM »
Nice score!   Looking forward to mmeting you at the cookout!
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline pz

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 05:48:58 PM »
Congratulations - looking forward to seeing your cooks!
x2!

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 05:59:41 PM »
Mike,  Great pickup.  I saw there lady there when I went in twice.  I'm sure the trip was worth it for her.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
Another Toy for My BBQ Addiction!
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 10:26:12 AM »
Nice pickup. Congrats.

Mike
Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk which will only let me upload 6 pics only. STUPID UPDATE!!
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker