Author Topic: $325 wood fired pizza oven  (Read 5578 times)

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
Re: $325 wood fired pizza oven
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2013, 09:13:10 AM »
Also interested but it looks like it could be easily insulated for us northern folks. 
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline txpops

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2013, 09:37:39 AM »
Danngit pz! You show me this! ;)

Well I was going to buy the Blackstone pizza oven but I was thinking about where the heck would I put the thing? No room under my patio cover anymore.

So I start watching the videos on this thing and was very impressed with it's simplicity and how it works.

And how portable it is. Runs on a set of batteries for 8 hours.

And it is wood fired with pellets! I got pellets plenty of pellets ;)

Then I see he takes Paypal. Ohhhh! 6 months same-as-cash! Even better!

So I placed my order this morning.

Dang you pz!!!!!!!

Awesome. Can't wait for your review.
Original Bradley smoker w/dual element mod
Dual-Probe auber pid
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil Beesr
Outdoor Gourmet Pellet Grill
Camp Chef DLX pellet grill
Old Smokey #22 charcoal grill
Excalibur 9 tray dehydrator

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2013, 10:02:23 AM »
Also interested but it looks like it could be easily insulated for us northern folks.

I think a welding blanket could take care of that.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2013, 02:23:24 PM »

Well I was going to buy the Blackstone pizza oven but I was thinking about where the heck would I put the thing? No room under my patio cover anymore.

So I start watching the videos on this thing and was very impressed with it's simplicity and how it works.

Dang you pz!!!!!!!

Awesome. Can't wait for your review.

X2!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline pz

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2013, 02:28:05 PM »

Dang you pz!!!!!!!

lol, sorry muebe; I wasn't thinking anyone would purchase it yet, but it sounds like you did quite a bit of research - I hope it turns out as good as the pizza looks.  I'm actually thinking of one myself so I can do pizzas in winter when the masonry oven is not ideal.  I too am looking forward to your review!

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2013, 03:32:02 PM »
There is a video that explains how to light it. That video shows how it works.

The pellets are gravity fed. There is no auger or pellet chamber. Just forced air from a fan and flames from the pellets.

There is a removable slide where the pellets travel down into the cooker. Then the chute for the pellets attaches to the top.

When I saw the simplicity of how it works and how the pizzas came out I was sold. The only thing that I can see possibly  malfunctioning is the fan.

This morning I had one of those "Why didn't I think of that moments!"

Obviously will do a full review once I get it. Now to learn how to make my own pizza dough ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2013, 05:11:50 PM »
Obviously will do a full review once I get it. Now to learn how to make my own pizza dough ;)
[/quote]

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php

Also a good digital scale the goes to the 2nd decimal place. (0.00)
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2013, 05:34:46 PM »
that guy did make the dough shaping look quite simple but I know its not as I have tried :)

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2013, 06:22:25 PM »

And Sous Vide pizza sauce!!    :D

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2013, 06:45:19 PM »
Here's another video with a couple of good money shots.
This does look like it makes some good pizza!
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline pz

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2013, 07:15:57 PM »
That does look like good pizza - in addition to using in the back yard, could take it on RV trips.

Offline pz

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2013, 12:52:34 AM »
Here's a video illustrating how you light the thing and get it ready to fire pizzas

Offline pz

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2013, 12:55:44 AM »
.. and this one

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2013, 11:52:44 AM »
I really like the concept of this pizza oven. I think it has great potential. My comments are about the videos - not the pizza cooker. And my comments apply to many videos beyond these.

Folks who make video need to understand that the audio is even more important than the video. People will watch "bad" video much more than video with bad audio. Wind noise, other noise, varying levels, and poor commentary will send viewers away much faster than dark video, bad colors, etc. In this case the wind noise at the beginning makes it painful to watch.

I always advocate listening to the audio when you take your project in for production. If it is not perfect, consider cutting the audio track and doing a voice over. This lets you say what you wanted to say, get rid of "umms & ahhhs" and cut out bad background or wind noises. It also lets you edit the video to the key scenes and then match your voice over to the action. This is much easier than trying to edit the video, but keep the audio in synch. You can add a music track if you wish (be careful of copyright laws) and it will be much more impactful for the viewer.

Thanks for posting, pz - I am really getting to like this cooker!

« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 11:54:19 AM by drholly »
Member #

Offline pz

« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2013, 01:36:14 PM »
I always advocate listening to the audio when you take your project in for production. If it is not perfect, consider cutting the audio track and doing a voice over. This lets you say what you wanted to say, get rid of "umms & ahhhs" and cut out bad background or wind noises. It also lets you edit the video to the key scenes and then match your voice over to the action. This is much easier than trying to edit the video, but keep the audio in synch. You can add a music track if you wish (be careful of copyright laws) and it will be much more impactful for the viewer.

That's great advice David, and you're spot on with the audio.  Sometimes I'll watch the video with the audio turned off (like I did in a couple of these) simply because it did not add anything to the information presented.

It does look like a great portable unit that you could tuck almost anywhere.

I might have missed it, but did anyone catch what happens to the pellet ash?  Does it blow over the pizza out the door?