Author Topic: Dough questions  (Read 2871 times)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Dough questions
« Reply #-1 on: September 27, 2013, 09:22:17 AM »
I have a wood fired pizza oven in it's way so I have a few questions about dough...

I found a few good recipes using my bread maker to make dough. The dough uses yeast. Seems pretty easy to make this way. Will this kind of dough work well for making 4 minute wood fired pizzas? Or is there a dough that does not use yeast that works better?

And can you pizza experts post some of your dough recipes on a thread here? Maybe Smoke can make one that is a sticky?

I found one that uses honey. It sounds really good. I am hoping that the bread machine method is something that will work since I am a newbie when it comes to the dough world.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline hikerman

Re: Dough questions
« on: September 27, 2013, 10:34:11 AM »
Mike, first my opinion is to definitely stay with yeast. That gives the airy crust that not only looks good but tastes great as well.  I have a few go-to recipes but I'm at work now and can get them to you later.
Congrats on the pellet pizza oven!

Offline hikerman

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 11:27:46 AM »
Mike here is a good one.
Www.bakingsteel.com/pizza-dough-peter-reinhart-baking-steel/

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 11:29:25 AM »
meube,
Here are some good starting points. http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/pizza-and-flatbreads/crusts I've used a bread machine, but frankly have gone to mixing and kneading by hand or stand mixer. I haven't found an advantage to the bread machine. There are many variations and you can get really specific with crusts. After all, they are the heart of the pizza. I like hand kneading - makes me feel like I am really contributing to the crust.

However, when K-9  (Uuni) arrives you might want to pick up a dough from Trader Joes - they make a great pizza dough - regular or whole wheat. Give this a try to break it in and get the feel for the cooker.

If there is a local pizzeria that you really like - drop by and ask if they'd consider selling you some dough - many will.

Cheers,

Davi
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 12:31:16 PM »
So does the dough in the bread mixer turn out not as good?
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Offline hikerman

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 12:40:07 PM »
IMO it is about as good. My bread maker is programable so I make sure it gets kneaded enough to get good air pockets.
I understand what David is saying and I agree, if I have the time I prefer to knead it myself.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 12:51:55 PM »
IMO it is about as good. My bread maker is programable so I make sure it gets kneaded enough to get good air pockets.
I understand what David is saying and I agree, if I have the time I prefer to knead it myself.

Mine has a "Dough" button so I assume that all I need is to press that button after loading the ingredients. When it is done pull it out and roll into a ball in a greased bowl. Then let rest for 30 minutes at room temp covered. And finally divide and roll out the pies.

Is it that simple?
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC

Offline hikerman

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 01:47:23 PM »
It sure can be that easy!
I do a pizza dough that is reccomended to be tefrigerated 24 hrs. Mike as David mentioned, get a basic dough down where you are comfortable then experiment.

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 01:49:43 PM »
muebe, it can be that simple. And it can be that good - no doubt. However, once you really get into it (at least for me) the feeling of kneading in my hands seems to lead to an even better result. As you get the feel of the dough, the elasticity, the pull, etc. it seems to make a difference. It may be imagined, but I think it is real. I can feel when it is time to let it rest. It is part of the enjoyment of making the crust.
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 01:53:08 PM »

Mine has a "Dough" button so I assume that all I need is to press that button after loading the ingredients. When it is done pull it out and roll into a ball in a greased bowl. Then let rest for 30 minutes at room temp covered. And finally divide and roll out the pies.

Is it that simple?

muebe, that is a perfect starting point. Enjoy your pizza. Then as you get your taste buds going try some more. At some point you'll go for multiple rests / raises. I advocate t start simple with good recipes and then gradually add new ideas - just like cooking on a fire.
Member #

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 02:07:40 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys. I am gearing up to have dough ready when the pizza oven arrives. You information has been helpful.   

There is a Trader Joe's across town. I may need to pick up some dough to try.
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC

Offline Sandman

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2013, 02:09:41 PM »
4 minutes is pretty fast for a pizza. At the shop we roll our dough out onto pans and let them rise for awhile before using them. If we roll one out and use it right away they just don't turn out as nice. We usually cook a pizza from 12-14 mins @ 550f. Hope this helps.

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2013, 02:53:41 PM »
Congrats on the new toy! I too am just getting into breads and dough etc.. Got a new Kitchenaid Stand mixer. I like the idea of a sticky thread....
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2013, 02:55:17 PM »
Sandman these will be cooked at 800F plus so the video shows them done in 4 minutes ;)
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2013, 03:43:52 PM »
Sandman these will be cooked at 800F plus so the video shows them done in 4 minutes ;)

Yep, at those temps they go quick. Different from traditional pizza ovens.
Member #