Author Topic: Dough questions  (Read 2870 times)

Offline Dakota Don

• Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Re: Dough questions
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2013, 04:06:02 PM »
I have a wood fired pizza oven in it's way so I have a few questions about dough...
what a great score muebe, congratulations! please share more info; which one did you decide to go with? What price (if I may ask)?    I have gotten interested in the pizza making thing due to all of the great posts and pictures here on the forum, so I am thinking about putting one on my wish list.  :)
I need to start the process now, it takes about 6 to 9 months to get the boss to 'go along' with the idea... I need to walk around the house and kind of pout for awhile and start printing the pictures/recipes posted here and leave them laying around the house for her to 'discover'. It's not just a process...it's an adventure  :D
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 04:08:36 PM by BigDon »
C.B. BEESR
Masterbuilt Electric Smoker
C.B. 4 Burner Infrared - Natural Gas
Holland Grill - Natural Gas

Offline pz

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2013, 04:23:12 PM »
... However, once you really get into it (at least for me) the feeling of kneading in my hands seems to lead to an even better result. As you get the feel of the dough, the elasticity, the pull, etc. it seems to make a difference. It may be imagined, but I think it is real. I can feel when it is time to let it rest. It is part of the enjoyment of making the crust.

I wish I could help, but my wife won't let me touch dough.   ;D

She uses a Kitchen Aid to do the initial kneading, but then finishes by hand.  Sh really has the touch for doing dough.  Here is her general ingredients list
  • 2 cups bread flour - however any kind will do - more protein in bread flour
  • 1 teaspoon yeast
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1-1.5 cups water - the amount is variable depending on the "feel" of the dough
  • Cheese, herbs or other flavorings you would like to use (absolute amounts are to taste)
She does not prove the yeast - just adds it dry.  She uses this recipe for both the crusty bread and pizza, and said to just use less water if you want to make pizza (so it isn't sticky like it is for bread)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2013, 12:29:03 PM »
So my pizza oven is coming tomorrow. I am making some dough today. How long is the dough good in the fridge or should I freeze it?

I am going to try and make a couple pizzas tomorrow but if it is more than a day how long is the dough good for?
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline hikerman

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2013, 01:13:48 PM »
Mike, last night I made six pizzas for a bday party for our oldest, home from Maryland. I made the dough Thursday night. Placed pizza-sized portions in gallon zip-locs and can be refrigerated up to 5 days. Very handy this way. I really like this dough. First time trying it, but it may be my go-to from now on!

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/07/basic-new-york-style-pizza-dough.html

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2013, 01:37:46 PM »
I have four pizza doughs in the freezer right now. What I do is take a dough out of the freezer in the zip lock bag and let it come to room temperature. Then I remove it from the zip lock bag, and place it in bowl that is coated with oil and let it rise again in a warm area. What I do is turn on the oven, bring it to 200 degrees and let the door sit ajar. By using the thermopen, and find the temperature about 150 degrees, I place the bowl of dough covered with a dish towel back into the oven. Once you remove it from the oven after an hour, then form your pizza the way you want, coat it with olive oil and put your toppings on.

Have fun and good luck with your pizza cooker.

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2013, 01:46:00 PM »
So 5 days is good... Cool 8)

The dough recipe I used has honey in it.

Here are the ingredients in the bread maker. When placing the ingredients the wet ingredients go in first then the flour. After that you make a little well in the flour and pour in the yeast. This keeps the yeast from activating too early or being killed by the salt...

As it starts mixing you need to watch it initially and add a little bit of water or flour depending on what you see. Just enough so that it is sticky but does not stick to your hands...

So after mixing it goes into proofing mode and regulates the temperature automatically for proper rising. Appears the yeast has done it's job...

So here it is plopped out...

I wrapped it in Saran Wrap then ziplock bagged and into the fridge. I am going to make another batch. Then once the new pizza oven arrives tomorrow I can hopefully make some edible pies 8)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline pz

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2013, 12:03:44 AM »
Looking forward to your first cook!  Wood fired pizzas are definitely an acquired talent - not nearly as difficult as making good bbq, but you'd be surprised at how many pizzas we've ruined.  In fact, until this past weekend without exception we burnt the first pizza each and every time.  ;D