Author Topic: ThermoWorks Pro BBQ Kit  (Read 4542 times)

Offline pz

ThermoWorks Pro BBQ Kit
« Reply #-1 on: October 02, 2013, 10:52:31 PM »
Santa came early - we finally have reliable accurate temperature measuring/monitoring equipment.  After reading many posts about the virtues and faults of the different brands and models of probes and measuring units, I decided on this package.  Now, how to break the bad news to the missus... thought I'd wait for a while since it would be days before it arrived [behaving like a kid with a bad report card]

Lady luck must have smiled on me because she was in the kitchen fighting with the oven temperature (the oven was winning) and muttered that we needed a good oven thermometer.  "I'm tired of throwing away good money on those cheap Fred Meyer thermometers!" she says.

Bingo!  What a perfect opportunity. "Well, dear...." says I "... it just so happens that you ordered an industrial grade kit, and it'll be here in a couple of days" [I used her credit card]   :o ;D

"Oh?" she says

"Yes, hon, and you didn't want to skimp on a cheap unit this time..."

I was waiting for the hammer to come down, but she didn't even bite - not a single question about the cost.  That was a couple of days ago, and I'm still waiting for the hammer to fall - not one word about it.  She's been nothing but pleasant.  The package came today, and still not a single question... I'm beginning to think that this is her method - make me sweat it out never knowing when the question will be called.  ???

I piled the equipment on to the counter for a pic, and casually said "Hon, you're going to need a small toolbox for all your BBQ gadgets"

Still would not bite... and I'm still livin' to tell this story

This is the complete contents of the box - there was something completely unexpected in the package

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: ThermoWorks Pro BBQ Kit
« on: October 03, 2013, 03:13:33 AM »
That's a really nice kit.  Glad there has been no hammer yet.  Just make sure you don't burn any food.  "You could have done that with your cheep thermometer" comes to mind for a good way to start the "hammer" conversation.  :P
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Sam3

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 06:18:32 AM »
That's a pretty neat kit.
MAK 1 Star #385
Bradley OBS w/mods
WSM 22.5
Weber Platinum
Char Broil BEESR
La Caja China
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 07:23:56 AM »
Thermoworks makes some great products and they know what they are doing.

Those jelly beans were not for you BTW. They are to hand to the wife as you show her the contents of said package to help "soften the blow".

What are they still doing on the counter? ??? 8)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 09:11:09 AM »

Those jelly beans were not for you BTW. They are to hand to the wife as you show her the contents of said package to help "soften the blow".

;D ;D

Nice kit, pz. And happy to see you are still up and about...  ;) ;D
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 09:33:59 AM »
That's a nice looking kit, PZ. Please tell us as you use how and the experience. Does that have a remove read out capability?

Thanks, for sharing.

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 10:42:59 AM »
They do make great products and I really enjoy mine.

Q: how come they are not a sponsor??
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline pz

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 02:08:39 PM »
...Does that have a remove read out capability?

Dang it, no that is the one feature that would make it an almost perfect setup

;D ;D

Nice kit, pz. And happy to see you are still up and about...  ;) ;D

That's a really nice kit.  Glad there has been no hammer yet.  Just make sure you don't burn any food.  "You could have done that with your cheep thermometer" comes to mind for a good way to start the "hammer" conversation.  :P

;D lol!

I'm doing a brisket in the Traeger this weekend (hopefully) and it'd better turn out good - my missus formerly lived in Ft. Worth and likes good brisket  :P

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 02:25:15 PM »
Just remember that internal temp is not the be all and end all of good brisket.  Different meat quality, different cooking temps and different holding/resting techniques all influence the proper readiness of brisket.  When that expensive probe slides into the thickest part of the flat like butter, that's when it is done.  I have seen brisket finish anywhere from 185 to 210 internal.  Oh, and don't even measure the temp of the point.  It is pretty much irrelevant.  It is almost impossible to mess up the point of a packer.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 02:28:09 PM »

Nail the brisket.   
Hide the Glock.

;) ;)

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 02:46:40 PM »
My guess is the reason they are not a sponsor is because they are a UK company if I remember correctly.  Just guessing.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 02:47:17 PM »
very cool kit.   8)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2013, 03:05:52 PM »
They do make great products and I really enjoy mine.

Q: how come they are not a sponsor??

We have a retailer that is our sponsor in that category of products already. I try not to have too much overlap, and also look for products/providers of product that offer unique and maybe not as well known ( yet) goods. It helps them, because we are not a huge market on LTBBQ - thus there cost to sponsor is consummate with their size.
Thermoworks is an international corporation that has a very well tuned market strategy, and has a large commercial following in industrial temperature sensing and commercial kitchens/food manufacturing. They would likely not see us as able to reach the volume of persons that they require of each media outlet they currently use.
I am certainly not turning them away....I just don't think we are big enough yet to attract them ;) ;D. But we wil get there! :)
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2013, 03:49:20 PM »
this one looks interesting .
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline pz

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2013, 05:58:14 PM »
I purchased the ThermoWorks unit, and gave the missus the line that it was hers (thought I was being clever)

"... it just so happens that you ordered an industrial grade kit, and it'll be here in a couple of days" [I used her credit card]   :o ;D

"Oh?" she says

"Yes, hon, and you didn't want to skimp on a cheap unit this time..."

I was waiting for the hammer to come down, but she didn't even bite - not a single question about the cost.  That was a couple of days ago, and I'm still waiting for the hammer to fall - not one word about it.  She's been nothing but pleasant.  The package came today, and still not a single question... I'm beginning to think that this is her method - make me sweat it out never knowing when the question will be called.  ???

I piled the equipment on to the counter for a pic, and casually said "Hon, you're going to need a small toolbox for all your BBQ gadgets"

UPDATE: As I was doing brisket this past weekend, I was mentioning my cooking plan to my wife, who appeared a bit disinterested to the point where I thought she was not really listening.  Then without thinking I foolishly said the words "...and I'm going to use my meat thermometer..."

Her head immediately snapped up and she said "Whose meat thermometer?"   ??? :o

She must have been in a good mood because she let me off the hook.

So much for thinking she was not listening