Author Topic: First 940x slowish cook - St. Louis Pork Ribs  (Read 3286 times)

Offline drbiggles

• Meathenge
First 940x slowish cook - St. Louis Pork Ribs
« Reply #-1 on: October 12, 2013, 10:34:09 PM »

I think I mentioned the last week about my local grocery store packing in a load of pork ribs.  But at 18 to 22 dollars a slab, I passed.  Day after day I stalked them, waiting patiently.  Yesterday they were finally down to 8 to 10 dollars a slab, this I could do.  And I did!

The St. Louis ones were the only style they had left, other than the baby backs.  And I wanted the big ones.

It's been a long time since I've done an extended cook in one of these rigs, but I figured I could get the job done without much fuss.  My digital probe temperature thingy was handy (I use it as a kitchen timer when not doing smoker duty).  But as I found out pretty quickly, it has long since gone in another direction.  It's ability to read the correct temperature reliably just wasn't possible this time.  No biggie, the goofy built in one would at least give me a broad idea as to what the thing was doing.

I got out the rack of ribs about 2 hours before I thought I'd fire up the grill.  Yanked off the membrane and rubbed Kosher salt on both sides and let sit out on the counter.  Fire, Smoke, Meat and salt is all you need.

I used to use foil wrapped bricks to baffle the heat from the meat side, but it also would bow my charcoal wire rack pretty badly.  Since this is a new grill, I didn't want to goof it up quite yet.  I fashioned a medium sized wall with aluminum foil there in the center, to the left of the fire.  Digging for a while, I found a chintzy little wire rack that held up the ribs pretty nicely.

Charcoaled mesquite for fuel, large hunks of seasoned hickory for flavor.

No, I didn't lower the grill down to 200 to 225.  This was going to be a faster cook at 325 to 350.  I used to only do pork ribs very low for about 5 hours.  But after using the SRG for so long and so many racks of ribs, it was clearly obvious that it wasn't necessary to get juicy, smoky ribs.  Is there a difference?  Yes.  Can I do it both ways and still have an amazing meal? Yes.

The fire tending in the 940x is really quite minimal.  I ran through 2 large chimneys of mesquite with maybe 5 or so hunks of hickory.  Not much to it and about 2.5 hours later, the ribs were done.

I cooked them a little softer, a tad overdone.  My wife is suffering quite badly with a horrendous tooth ache and was thinking of her.  They were plenty juicy, very porky and the smoky love was very sweet.  The smoke flavor the 940x produces is so far superior than anything else I've cooked with.  Sure, I got "smoke" flavor with other grills, but not like this.  And it's not just me, my family (gets up to 5 for dinner on a regular basis) is blown away by the difference.  I'm not doing anything different other than using mesquite rather than briquettes and large hunks of hickory rather than dust or small chips.  There's a quiet calm about the 940x, it's like watching a fish tank.  My other grills will take the hairs off your arms at any moment, even with smaller piles of fuel in them.

I'm truly in love with this grill and am very thankful it's built like a tank.  I'm going to be able to enjoy this rig for a long time to come.

Biggles

ps - Here's an image from last night's grillage.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: First 940x slowish cook - St. Louis Pork Ribs
« on: October 12, 2013, 10:38:41 PM »
Very pretty. I bet they were delicious. Glad to see you are having fun!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Pappymn

First 940x slowish cook - St. Louis Pork Ribs
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 10:40:31 PM »
Wow. Great write up and results. Congrats!
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline hikerman

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 10:49:23 PM »
Nice looking ribs there dr! Good color. I've got the 940's little brother and it's fun as well. Nice design.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 10:52:40 PM »
As usual your pictures are always fantastic!!!

Great job Dr.B!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline drbiggles

• Meathenge
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 11:01:13 PM »

Thank you everyone and you're right, I am really enjoying the time spent with my new rig.  It's been a long time since I've felt this kind of inspiration for grilling or smoking anything.

Nice looking ribs there dr! Good color. I've got the 940's little brother and it's fun as well. Nice design.

940's little brother?  Which what?  Do I want one of those too?

Biggles

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 11:01:38 PM »
ribs look pretty good dr b.   :)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline drbiggles

• Meathenge
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 11:23:09 PM »
ribs look pretty good dr b.   :)

The flavors were right at the top, no question there.  The texture was on the soft side, but totally doable and really didn't turn anyone off at all.  Thankfully, I don't live with any KCBS judges!

xo, Biggles

Offline hikerman

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2013, 11:24:44 PM »

Thank you everyone and you're right, I am really enjoying the time spent with my new rig.  It's been a long time since I've felt this kind of inspiration for grilling or smoking anything.

940's little brother?  Which what?  Do I want one of those too?

It's the 500X a table-top version, but built like a tank. I fashioned some long metal legs for it so it is free-standing.

Biggles

Offline Old Dave

• Wood & Charcoal is the only Fuel
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2013, 11:26:52 PM »
Really nice article and the ribs look great. That Char-Broil 940X is one of the "classic" grills and has been around a long time. I love mine and use it often along with its little brother the CB 500X.

Dave
Old Dave
Ribs & Bibs Competition Cooking Team

3 Backwoods--3 Big Green Eggs--2 Char-Broils
1 Cobb--1 Original Fast Eddy Pellet Cooker
1 Traeger & 2 Green Mountain Pellet Cookers
1 Genuswine Rotisserie Smoker--2 Hasty Bakes
1 Orion Cooker--6 Webers--Several Homebuilts

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2013, 01:15:52 AM »
Mmmmmmmm
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2013, 08:33:45 AM »
Those ribs look awesome DR!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2013, 09:11:41 AM »
Agree with everyone else those ribs look great.
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline RAD

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2013, 09:17:16 AM »
Ribs look great. That's it, I'm headed out to get a rack and I going to use the fatboy today.
Love to cook and eat

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2013, 09:49:10 AM »
Looks great!
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS