Author Topic: Comments, please  (Read 1895 times)

Offline Jaxon

Comments, please
« Reply #-1 on: October 13, 2013, 02:11:41 PM »
I got my smoker set up for 250* as I was smoking a butt.
Taking the advice I've heard hear, from people who know such things, I built a small fire and waited for the smoker to stabilize.  It stabilized all right.  It stayed right there at 250* with the only changes happening when I opened the lid or the firebox.  Remember, the stems on these thermometers are 6 inches long...that helped.  I think the smoke level was just about right, too.

Now, for the meat...Not a drop of sugar anywhere in the rub.  Salt, pepper, granulated garlic, granulated onion, paprika, and cinnamon powder - applied without a coating and kept overnight.  Pulled at 203* and left in a foil tent to rest for 45 minutes.  We pulled it and pour the au jus from the foil and mixed well.  We STILL haven't put any sauce on it.

PLEASE understand that I ain't braggin' - can't brag when everything I know about BBQ came from someone else - this was the best pork butt we have ever cooked.  No pics because you see one, you see 'em all.

here's a video of how the smoker was performing.  Does the smoke look right?

« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 02:38:40 PM by Jaxon »
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
Re: Comments, please
« on: October 13, 2013, 02:15:24 PM »
Sounds good but video link not posted
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 02:37:04 PM »
Sounds good but video link not posted

This worked for me...try it again...want you to see this.
<><

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 02:56:14 PM »
You will get a batch of smoke when you toss in another split. You could leave your firebox door open for a couple of minutes until the smoke subsides.

With the thick metal of the pit, the temps should bounce back quickly,

and remember, we have all learned from somebody else...in fact everything we know is from someone else....we were born not knowing a darn thing.......I must be a slow learner..... ;)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline RAD

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 03:05:51 PM »
looks like you've learned that unit.  ;)
Love to cook and eat

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 03:23:41 PM »
I see the split on top of the box, but just wondering... was it completely warmed up?  I would not be too worries about a little bit of white smoke on a reload as long as it settles into thin blue shortly.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 03:28:21 PM »
I see the split on top of the box, but just wondering... was it completely warmed up?  I would not be too worries about a little bit of white smoke on a reload as long as it settles into thin blue shortly.

Good call, if you have the room keep two splits up there on the pot warmer. This way when you add a real hot split to the fire and add another "room" temperature one to the pot warmer you will have had a split up there for two re-loads and it will be nice and hot and should immediately burst into flames when hitting the existing fire...............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2013, 03:35:51 PM »

This was at the 2 hour 15 min mark and believe me, those splits were hot - couldn't pick 'em up bare-handed.  It really helped because they caught on quick when we put in the box.

Is there too much smoke? 
<><

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 04:17:25 PM »
I don't think so if that was the smoke after just placing another split on the fire. How long did that smoke last for?
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 04:19:51 PM »
I got my smoker set up for 250* as I was smoking a butt.

PLEASE understand that I ain't braggin' - can't brag when everything I know about BBQ came from someone else - this was the best pork butt we have ever cooked.

ya you are.  because you knocked this one out of the park.  nothing to be shy about.   8)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2013, 04:35:15 PM »
I don't think so if that was the smoke after just placing another split on the fire. How long did that smoke last for?
Smoke,
The smoke you see is the smoke I had for over 6 hours.  I can't remember if I had just put a split in, but it didn't seem to matter, the smoke never got REAL thick OR very white...pretty much like you see it.
Thanks to your pics showing YOUR small, hot fire, I changed my whole setup for starting and maintaining the fire and it has really made a difference.

Did I mention how good that bacon, pork loin, tomato, bell pepper, onion, and cheese recipe from '72 really was.  There were so many flavors going on, we had to just slow down our masticating to savor them all.  Pork loin is $1.99 lb. at Kroger, so we will be buying some to do this again.  It will be a great dish to serve when friends come over.
<><

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2013, 05:14:52 PM »
Glad ya liked it. The next time I make it I am gonna swap out the green pepper for a strip of Ortega chili.....

Looks like you got the Old Country dialed in buddy  8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Sam3

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2013, 05:49:06 PM »
Great post Jaxon!  Looks like you've got that baby dialed in!
MAK 1 Star #385
Bradley OBS w/mods
WSM 22.5
Weber Platinum
Char Broil BEESR
La Caja China
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2013, 05:50:52 PM »
The smoke in the video looks great to me. It's that lighter blueish-gray smoke that indicates a good clean burn (no wet wood chunks or splits). That kind of smoke flavors without overpowering. If you were able to keep the smoke like that for a majority of the cook, then I'd say you've got your smoker dialed in pretty well, Jack. :)

Cliff
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

PoppyBill

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2013, 06:12:20 PM »
Great temp control Jaxon! Seems you do know your smoker.