Author Topic: Ordered a Yoder...  (Read 3359 times)

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
Re: Ordered a Yoder...
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 07:01:59 PM »
Congratulations on your new Yoder! That was my original choice, but I bought the Blaz'n Grill Works
Grid Iron instead and that is also a tank weighing close to 300 pounds.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

PoppyBill

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2013, 10:05:32 PM »
Thanks for the pics and info VODo. I kind of joke about the weight but it is just in fun. I've noticed that I can no longer grab anything and wrestle it into position like I used to! Hopefully that's just a temporary condition. :)

There are a few ideas in the old skull. My son in law may have use of a service truck with a boom winch. Or perhaps I could uncrate it in the driveway and use ramps to move it up the steps (they're 2 or 3 at a time separated by landings). I do have a couple of sets of light block & tackle to winch it along if necessary. Point is I'm stubborn and I'll find a way to get it there, one way or another.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 10:10:00 PM by PoppyBill »

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2013, 10:42:26 PM »
Thanks for the pics and info VODo. I kind of joke about the weight but it is just in fun. I've noticed that I can no longer grab anything and wrestle it into position like I used to! Hopefully that's just a temporary condition. :)

There are a few ideas in the old skull. My son in law may have use of a service truck with a boom winch. Or perhaps I could uncrate it in the driveway and use ramps to move it up the steps (they're 2 or 3 at a time separated by landings). I do have a couple of sets of light block & tackle to winch it along if necessary. Point is I'm stubborn and I'll find a way to get it there, one way or another.

Rent or borrow an engine lift?
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline pz

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2013, 11:28:30 PM »
Sounds fantastic, Bill - looking forward to your cooks and of course, pics  ;)

PoppyBill

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2013, 07:48:30 AM »
Thanks pz. I'll share all I can.
Good idea Gus... I'll look into that too.

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2013, 08:01:20 AM »

I don't know if you live in a cold climate but if you do you should consider getting a thermal cover for the Yoder (It's a $250 option)...

Here in New England it makes a big difference on pellet consumption during cold weather.
Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

PoppyBill

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2013, 10:26:41 AM »
Charlotte doesn't usually have weather that cold in the winter, as least compared to the locations where a lot of you are. But I do believe in conserving where I can, so I did order the thermal cover. The list of options also includes the second shelf, full cover, grilling grates, and probe port.

Offline GrillGeek

• www.pelletgrilloutfitters.com
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2013, 11:20:07 AM »
Bill,

Yoder changed their packaging on the pallets within the last month or two. They are MUCH easier to remove now!
I used to have to use a forklift to get them off the pallet, now they roll off very easily with the help of another person.

Owner of Simi Pellet Grills- The Pellet Grill Outfitters
www.pelletgrilloutfitters.com

805-285-2618

PoppyBill

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2013, 08:45:04 PM »
Bill,

Yoder changed their packaging on the pallets within the last month or two. They are MUCH easier to remove now!
I used to have to use a forklift to get them off the pallet, now they roll off very easily with the help of another person.

That's great! Thanks GrillGeek.

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2013, 02:16:37 AM »

I don't know if you live in a cold climate but if you do you should consider getting a thermal cover for the Yoder (It's a $250 option)...

Here in New England it makes a big difference on pellet consumption during cold weather.

that is a nice looking grill.  I never see ya cooking on it.  it looks awful clean. 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2013, 07:28:55 AM »
I cook on it all the time!

That picture was when it was new before any cooking. It looks a lot different now!
Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

PoppyBill

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2013, 12:47:52 PM »
OK gang, the shipper just called to set up my delivery appointment!   8)  Monday, between 9am and 5pm.

Thank you all for the encouraging thoughts and ideas. It has meant a lot to me to have such a great response!

I plan to start a new thread as soon as I can start snapping pics, so y'all have a great weekend and smoke something tasty!   ;)

Offline slaga

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2013, 03:18:21 PM »
Congrats on the new grill. Yoder really took care of me on mine. Let's just say after I got mine used and emailed inquiring about the manual, Yoder decided to send me new fans, wiring harness, chimney and a gadget to bring the firmware on the controller up to current spec's, absolutely free. Even though my pit was over a year old and out of warranty, they really went out of their way, over and above any expectation I had. I think you will be extremely pleased with it.

PoppyBill

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2013, 04:42:50 PM »
That's the kind of customer service you rarely hear about these days. Congrats on your 'new' Yoder as well. Sunday will be my first day off since it was delivered and I can't wait to start gettin' it dirty.