Author Topic: My Wapak Skillet  (Read 10330 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
My Wapak Skillet
« Reply #-1 on: October 18, 2013, 01:47:48 PM »

My wife and I first lived in Minster, OH for 3 years and then in New Bremen, OH for 3 years. Our home décor was country, early American. We went to a lot of auctions to buy things. That’s when I first noticed Wapak cast iron skillets. They were bringing pretty high prices even back then; the older ones with the Indian head logo brought more. I was not too interested in them then.

We moved to Wapakoneta, OH in 1973; my wife was born and raised here. Sometime in the 80’s I got interested in black powder shooting and joined a local club. Camping out and outdoor cooking went along with black powder shooting. I bought my first cast iron piece, a 12 inch skillet with lid. My son started playing soccer and all his games were on Sundays, the same day of our monthly shoots so I got away from shooting. I can’t remember ever using the skillet; later I loaned it to my neighbor. After my neighbor died, his wife gave the skillet back to me. It was pretty dirty and lay in my work shop for a few years.

The last five years I have bought several Lodge cast iron pieces, a 9 inch skillet, a 10 inch chicken friar, a 5 quart Dutch oven, and a small bean pot. I like cooking with it and use it in my oven, on my glass top range and in my Traeger pellet smoker. I also bought a 10 and 12 inch Lodge carbon steel skillets I really use a lot.

Early this year I noted the 12 inch skillet in my work shop and decided to clean it up. I had good luck cleaning two pottery dishes in my self- cleaning oven and decided to do the skillet and see how it came out. It came out completely clean of the old grease. Link to post on seasoning 12 inch skillet. http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=4723.0

I read up on re- seasoning cast iron and found the best to me was using flax seed oil. You wipe on a small amount then dry it all off; this still leaves a light coat. You put in a 500 deg. oven for 1 hour then turn it off and let cool down. You do this six times and it will leave a nice black color and non-stick that will last. I could not find flax seed oil locally and when I tried to order some it was too expensive. I settled on grape seed oil and it worked just fine.

Last Friday I took my wife to get her hair done uptown. I did a little window shopping while she was getting it done. I saw a guy carrying two skillets that looked old. I stopped and ask if he had just bought them. He said I am trying to sell them, I looked them over and one was a Wapak no. 8. He wanted $50 for both and I tried to buy the Wapak for $25 and he said no I’d like to sell both. I said how about $30 and he took it. I knew that was a decent price from researching the net for one. It was pretty dirty but was sure it would clean up like I did the 12 inch.

I don’t go to many auctions anymore but my wife and her aunt do. I told them to watch for Wapak skillets for me. I had also been watching the internet for them; so I thought it a bit ironic I saw the guy on the street with one for sale.

Wapak cast iron skillets were made by the Wapak Holloware Co. from 1903 to 1926. The one thing you notice is how light weight it is compared to today’s cast iron skillets. It is not hollow but thin walled and I would say it weighs about half that of a like sized Lodge skillet made today. All I can find is it says the decline in quality of iron ore and more modern manufacturing methods were the causes of them becoming thicker and heavier. Two other noted makers of hollow ware were Wagner of Sidney, OH and Griswold of Erie, PA and are sought after by collectors.

Very little history can be found about the Wapak Company. The logos on the back were an Indian head being the oldest, Wapak in block letters, one with the Wapak more pronounced and Wapak Z which had a Z like extension formed from the bottom of the K. The Wapak letters are also slightly tapered.  Mine is the Wapak Z and I would say it was the latest of the logos but that makes it at least over 87 years old. Some of the older skillets go at $100 or more, the odd sizes bring more since they are scarcer. The Indian heads are more yet and highly sought after.

Another thing people like about cooking with the old Hollow Ware is the very smooth interior. The Lodge cast iron ware sold today has kind of a grainy dimpled inside and some people claim it makes it more non-stick than the smooth. My 12 inch was made by Lodge and has a machined inside. The Lodge also comes pre-seasoned and I have seen some say they don’t like it so they remove it and do their own. I find that is too much work and have had good luck cooking with mine. If they ever need it I can clean then and re-season.

I did my Wapak skillet in the oven self-clean cycle for 2 hours and let cool. It came out good, one thing I noted doing both the Lodge 12 inch and the Wapak 8 inch skillets was the rust. Either the rust was already present or the high heat cleaning introduces it. I think it is already present since the older Wapak skillet had a lot more of it. It seems to be permeated into the cast iron so I didn’t try to clean them more. After the first seasoning of the Wapak skillet I did sand the inside some.

I recoated it and seasoned again and it is already starting to look good and taking on a black color. You can still see the brown of the rust some but if it is like when I did the 12 inch by the fourth seasoning it will start looking great. By the sixth seasoning it is dark black and good to use.

Below are some photos of the steps through the second seasoning. I will come back and update after the sixth and final seasoning.

Condition as bought

After self-cleaning in oven

A light coat of grape seed oil applied after cleaning

After a seasoning in the oven I sanded the inside some

After the first seasoning

After the second seasoning

Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: My Wapak Skillet
« on: October 18, 2013, 01:53:56 PM »
That is a beauty.  Great work!
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Pappymn

My Wapak Skillet
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 02:02:40 PM »
Send me your address I have a pan that needs help ;D

I have done the self cleaning oven part.....then I stopped
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 02:35:16 PM »
Great story.  I loved the ending.  Those pans are definitely keepers! 

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 05:14:02 PM »
Great story.  I loved the ending.  Those pans are definitely keepers! 

Art

Definitely agree with Art! I love you my cast iron on my Webers and the pellet grills.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline pz

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 05:19:02 PM »
Definitely a pan worth keeping for generations

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 08:22:31 PM »
Nice work on those pans - that's a labor of love.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 08:43:35 PM »
Fun story to read Don!! You are doing a great job on that skillet, looks good so far :)

PoppyBill

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 09:16:50 PM »
That's slick! (pun intended)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 10:49:00 PM »
Great work Don!

Looks brand new!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
My Wapak Skillet
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2013, 05:50:19 PM »
Nice work!

Mike
Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline Pappymn

My Wapak Skillet
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2013, 06:39:18 PM »
SD, I decided to start my pan. I am soaking it in 50/50 vinegar and water. Supposed to remove the rust. Time will tell.......
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline slaga

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2013, 07:43:23 PM »
Electrolysis. I used it to remove rust from the grate on a used pellet grill I have. It is a super easy way to remove rust.

Offline Pappymn

My Wapak Skillet
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2013, 07:47:14 PM »
Electrolysis. I used it to remove rust from the grate on a used pellet grill I have. It is a super easy way to remove rust.

Looked into that.....I'm not what you call.....handy ???
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline slaga

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2013, 08:00:21 PM »
I used electrolysis while back. Here is a snippet I pulled from another site I posted about it. Basically I got a Yoder YS640 used and the second grate was a bit rusty.

This is the web site I followed for this experiment:
http://www.rickswoodshopcreations.com/miscellaneous/rust_removal.htm

This is a picture of the grate as I received it. It has a bit more rust than I'd like to cook on:

This is a close-up of the grate:

Here are the parts I used. I have a 23 gallon rubber/plastic trash can, emphasis on it not being steel. My sacrificial steel plate was a drip pan that was replaced on the grill I acquired. As you can tell there is not much rust on it, just a little surface rust. The wood sticks were used to support the grate and sacrificial plate so they did not touch the bottom of the can mainly so any rust on the very bottom of the grate could be removed. I also used a 15 year old 10 amp / 2 amp battery charger (not in the picture) I had in my garage.

I used this for the electrolyte, Arm & Hammer - Super Laundry Soda:
http://www.armandhammer.com/fabric-care/laundry-boosters/Products/arm-and-hammer-super-washing-soda-detergent-booster.aspx

This is a video (just click on the picture) of the rust being removed. The grate is suspended on the right and the sacrificial drip pan on the left. You can see the bubbles coming off of the grate. Those bubbles were a product of the rust removal.

And finally a photo of the final product. I am quite pleased with how clean the grate came with MINIMAL scrubbing. The sacrificial drip pan had a pretty good amount of rust that pretty much just rinsed off.

In all I ran it for 2 hours with the cooking side of the grate towards the drip pan and then 2 hours with the back side towards the drip pan. It took about 5 hours total. I spent most of my time watching Football while this was going on.