Author Topic: Fly ash problem with my Traeger?  (Read 6115 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Fly ash problem with my Traeger?
« Reply #-1 on: November 13, 2013, 11:43:23 PM »
For about 2 or 3 months now I have had a problem with ash getting up in the smoke chamber. I have always had just a little show up in each corner on the exhaust side but now it is all over and sometimes worse than others. I first checked out the burn pot, watched it as it was burning and it seemed normal to me. Sandman buys his pellets the same place as I do and has no problems.

When I cleaned the burn pot out I noted I was getting clumps that I never had before. I always had just fine ash. I was still thinking I got some bad pellets. I called Traeger and they had no ideas but sent me a bag of oak to try, oak is what I use about all the time. They seemed to burn better but now I have went through enough different pellets I don’t think it’s the pellets.

It seems to be cooking well and holding temps as good as always. The blower fan does not sound like it is varying speeds to me. I checked the auger timing in smoke mode and that is good. I thought maybe obstruction in the air chute, took the burn bot out but the wires were too short to check it good.

I didn’t feel like tearing it apart to check that so I ordered a new fan motor and will check it when I get the old one out.

Then the last cook I did some of my leds are out and it’s hard to read the temps but I got through OK with my Maverick monitoring grill temps. I really wanted a Savannah Stoker controller from Billy Merril but he said they won’t be ready until Dec.  I don’t want to wait until then so ordered an Ortech controller. I will probably get a Savannah Stoker in the spring.

If anyone else has had a problem with fly ash I would like to hear your story. Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Savannahsmoker

Re: Fly ash problem with my Traeger?
« on: November 14, 2013, 05:57:54 PM »
Sorry :( to hear that and I hope the new fan motor works.
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 09:32:24 PM »
Don do you recently do an extensive cleaning of your Traeger?

Sometimes when the grill is thoroughly cleaned there is no longer any grease or residue for the ash to stick to allowing more ash to fly around the grill. There tends to be more ash when the grill is brand new for example until there have been a few greasy cooks to build up a sticky layer on the interior.

Also check the air holes in the firepot. Make sure the air is coming out the holes evenly. If one is plugged this will not cause the cyclonic flame action and could contribute to ash flying around instead of being contained in the firepot.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 11:35:32 PM »
Don do you recently do an extensive cleaning of your Traeger?

Sometimes when the grill is thoroughly cleaned there is no longer any grease or residue for the ash to stick to allowing more ash to fly around the grill. There tends to be more ash when the grill is brand new for example until there have been a few greasy cooks to build up a sticky layer on the interior.

Also check the air holes in the firepot. Make sure the air is coming out the holes evenly. If one is plugged this will not cause the cyclonic flame action and could contribute to ash flying around instead of being contained in the firepot.

Thanks muebe for the good ideas. I haven't cleaned the inside good since spring. When I watched the fire pot burning it looked like I was getting the good cyclonic action. When I put the new blower fan I will recheck the holes and clean the pot good. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 12:30:47 AM »
first thing I thought about was if you switched pellets.  and then maybe a fan was bad.  if you are holding temps the auger and fan are working.  cook some bacon.  bacon always helps.   :P
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline jamessaitta2019

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 02:28:01 PM »
This article is great in Traeger Pellet Grill problems, you should read it: https://www.bbqqueens.com/traeger-grill-problems/