Author Topic: Super Pig Butt!  (Read 3593 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Super Pig Butt!
« Reply #-1 on: November 22, 2013, 02:46:58 AM »
Nov 22 2013

I wanted to use some of the Super Pig seasoning that Sandman gave me to try on a pork butt. After using it on bacon I thought it would be good on a butt and give a good bark. I found one on the small side at Walmart; just shy of 7 lbs. It was a Tyson and I am not crazy about Tyson products. The package said 100% all natural then in fine print it said 4% marinade added; probably salt water.

Wednesday evening I got it smeared with mustard and some of the Super Pig and in the fridge overnight. In the photos it doesn’t look like much seasoning but I had plenty on there.

I didn’t want to be cooking all day so I decided to cut the butt in half; it would cook faster and I would get more bark. This morning I fired up my Traeger with 100% apple wood pellets. I cut the butt in half and applied mustard and Super Pig to the cut sides and added more Super Pig to all. I got them on the smoker at 7:45 at 180 deg. for an hour then 225 deg. for another ½ hour. Then I went to 250 deg. for most of the cook. Grill level temp was running 280 to 290 deg.

I planned to wrap in foil when the butts got to 170 deg. adding some apple cider. I had the foil and the apple cider ready; but when I looked at them they looked plenty moist yet so decided to do without foiling. I drizzled some apple cider over several times.

At 2:30 one was at 198 deg. and one was at 190 deg. IT. I checked more with my hand held and did a probe test. They were done so wrapped in foil and in a warm oven for an hours rest. I preheat my oven to 180 deg. then turn off after the butts are in.

While the butts were resting I laid down for a rest! At 3:30 I took the butts from the oven to cool some before pulling. It pulled nice and most of the fat was rendered out. The Super Pig bark tasted good and the butt was plenty moist. I am not good at describing flavors but I thought the Super Pig had a different flavor profile than it did on bacon. I ate so much while pulling, I almost didn’t want supper!

We ate carry-ins with the kids for supper; the wife and I will have pulled pork sandwiches, mac and cheese and slaw tomorrow night. I will come back and post a photo of my sandwich.

Butt, mustard and Super Pig

Ready for over night

Split and re-seasoned

About 4 hours in

About done

Bone out clean

Pulled

Ready to enjoy

Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Wing Commander

• Visit my BBQ-Blog!
Re: Super Pig Butt!
« on: November 22, 2013, 03:37:43 AM »
That bark has a really great color. I didn't try SP as stand alone rub on a butt, only as an additional rub while foiling for a second flavor profile. I gotta give that a try.

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 04:24:08 AM »
That pulled pork looks great Don! I will have to try using just the Super Pig on my next
butt cook.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 04:32:33 AM »
Great looking butt.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline hikerman

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 06:41:29 AM »
Looks real good Don!  Gonna make some fine sammiches!

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 07:13:54 AM »
Don,
That is looking really good!!  I could hammer a plate of that.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 07:20:56 AM »
Great color Don!

I think I used SP one time on a butt that had a Molasses schmear and if I remember correctly it was really good ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 08:14:37 AM »
That is a good looking bunch of pulled pork. It would look a heck of a bunch better if it was right in front of me  ;)

So how did the Super Pig do? What did it bring to the table? How did it hold up after the long cook?
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 09:14:29 AM »
I never thought to use Super Pig for pulled pork. I have 2 bottles of it.. I think I'm gonna try it! Yours looks fantastic Don!
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 09:59:41 AM »
 :P :P :P :P :P
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 01:03:44 PM »
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2013, 04:13:47 PM »
Fabulous Don!!
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Char Broil SRG

Offline pz

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2013, 05:12:03 PM »
That looks beautiful!!!  One of these days I hope mine looks that good!

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2013, 02:45:56 AM »
Nov 22 2013

I had the Super Pig pulled pork on a whole wheat boullilo tonight for supper. My wife and grandson had theirs plain but I toasted the bun and piled high with the pork. Our sides were mac and cheese (Bob Evens) and coleslaw.

The wife and grandson said the pork was good! I ate a couple of bites of the sandwich plain just to see if I could describe the flavor. The best I can do is when I ate some of the bark plain the sweet did not come through as much as it did when I used it on the bacon. Mixed in on the sandwich the pork taste was dominant over the rub. You just get a hint of the rub and that’s the way I like my pulled pork. I liked it about as well as my favorite Penzey’s Galena Street rub I usually use on butts.

I guess I am different than most; I like mustard on my pulled pork sandwiches. My wife likes BBQ sauce. I do like sauce sometimes and if I have the hankering will have coleslaw on it. Bottom line is I would use Super Pig on butts again. I hope this answered your question Smoke.

I think I am converted to not foiling too as I usually do. Even though it takes longer to get through the stall the butt is not soaking in all the rendered fat and much easier to pull. To me it was just as moist.

Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline pz

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2013, 02:58:49 AM »
Keeps gettin' better Don! That mac-and-cheese looks fantastic too!