Author Topic: Snake Method Ribs  (Read 5003 times)

Offline smokentime

Snake Method Ribs
« Reply #-1 on: December 14, 2013, 02:44:24 PM »
I thought I’d try the snake method for ribs in the 22’ kettle. I started on Saturday removing the membrane and trimming them up and then rubbing yellow mustard on them and covering with Simply Marvelous Sweet Seduction and let set in the fridge overnight.
Sunday morning I set up the kettle. I made a semi ring of charcoal around the kettle filling about ¾’s of the rim. I placed 3 chunks of apple wood and stacked the charcoal about 3 briquettes high and about 1 briquette wide.

I let the ribs set out around 12:00 to come up to room temp. At 1:00 I got 10 briquettes going in the chimney starter and placed a small drip pan underneath with about ¾’s of hot water. With the temps at around 125 I placed the ribs on with the both the top and bottom vents wide open. At 1:30 the temps were at 185.
After 2 hours the temps were going backwards, it dropped to 160. So I got the oven heated up to 250 and brought them in and placed them on a cookie sheet covered with foil. I made a 50/50 of crancherry juice and water to spritz and spritzed every 45 minutes.

Toni made up some of her awesome baked mac n chez! We love this stuff!

After 1 ½ hours in the oven I put some brown sugar, agave nectar and Jallelujah’s  Bacon Jalapeño Rub and a small amount of the 50/50 concoction and made a boat of the foil and turned the temp up to 275 and placed them back in for another hour.
They turned out good and I found another brew by Sam that I enjoyed!! WHITE CHRISTMAS!!!

I managed to save these and will definitely not be defeated by the snake method. I will give this another go in the future. Thanks for looking and we hope you all have a great weekend!

We only cook and eat the piece of the hog that made a pig of itself.

Offline Pappymn

Snake Method Ribs
« on: December 14, 2013, 02:52:37 PM »
Great looking plate! I have done the snake method twice. I don't think one coal wide was enough fuel. Mine was like 3 high by 3 wide. More then enough fuel.  Great save!
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Kora Smoker

Re: Snake Method Ribs
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 03:01:24 PM »
Great job, looks fantastic.
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber 26 kettle
Rec Tec 680
Gabby's Grill Santa Maria add on for weber kettle 26 inch
Gateway Drum Smoker

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 03:11:18 PM »
Those ribs look great. The mac and cheese and Sammie Adams is the icing on the cake  :)

You ever consider getting the charcoal baskets Weber offers? If you use one basket with 25 briqs in em your kettle should run around 250......then ya just gotta add 8 briqs every hour after that............this set-up has worked well for me.......
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Sam3

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 04:08:02 PM »
Those ribs look great. The mac and cheese and Sammie Adams is the icing on the cake  :)

You ever consider getting the charcoal baskets Weber offers? If you use one basket with 25 briqs in em your kettle should run around 250......then ya just gotta add 8 briqs every hour after that............this set-up has worked well for me.......

Me too! I did a brisket this way follow smoke's method. Worked like a charm!

Great looking plate of food, love the Mac & cheese too.
MAK 1 Star #385
Bradley OBS w/mods
WSM 22.5
Weber Platinum
Char Broil BEESR
La Caja China
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 05:52:05 PM »
Great looking meal.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 07:23:55 PM »
Ribs and mac n cheese look delicious Gene! Great job bro!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline smokentime

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 09:25:42 PM »

Hey smoke,  I do have the baskets but just decided to try the snake method. But you just taught me another lesson, sometimes the answer is right there in front of us  :) I'm going to try that next time. Thanks for the advice. There's a few techniques I want to get better at, Thanks! :)

Offline nepas

• Ft Pierce Fl. Member #35
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 09:45:55 PM »
Nice ribs and Sam,,,,,,,,Cool glass too

I had brats.  (No snow)

And a Sam Adams winter lager. My son got me the glass at the Sams brewery. Notice on our glasses that the bottom is thicker? They say to hold the glass by the bottom so your beer dont get warm.

Sorry to hijack
Flint
New Elder Wand with infa red tip.

Offline Pappymn

Snake Method Ribs
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 10:27:29 PM »

I had brats.  (No snow)

And a Sam Adams winter lager. My son got me the glass at the Sams brewery. Notice on our glasses that the bottom is thicker? They say to hold the glass by the bottom so your beer dont get warm.

Sorry to hijack

The Sam's brewery tour is awesome. Took it like 15 years ago. They do a nice job
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline pz

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2013, 11:55:16 PM »
Food looks great!

Offline smokentime

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 12:22:52 PM »

I had brats.  (No snow)

Sorry to hijack

Nepas, my beer isn't in the glass long enough to get warm, LOL!! High Jacker!! LOL!

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 03:20:12 PM »
Great looking food and beer.
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2013, 04:25:29 PM »
Well done on the cook, ribs looked awesome. Love mac and cheese also ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline Wing Commander

• Visit my BBQ-Blog!
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2013, 03:55:14 AM »
Great color on these ribs. Mac 'n cheese looks awesome, too.