Author Topic: Double Smoked Ham  (Read 2175 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Double Smoked Ham
« Reply #-1 on: December 16, 2013, 10:27:34 AM »
Dec 15 2013

It was a cold windy day for smoking. Most businesses never got the wet snow cleared from their parking lots before it froze early evening Friday. It was hard to push the grocery cart through the mess Saturday, I should have gone Friday! Today the 16th its 9 AM and 12 deg.

I had a half, 5.45 lb. smoked boneless ham from Kah Meats to smoke so I call it a double smoked ham. The hams are fully cooked and to me are the best I can get around here. I have bought them there for years and the old man used to tell me every time not to overcook it or I would dry it out. Their bones in ones are better but it’s too much ham for me anymore.

I wanted to do this fast and get it to an IT of 148 deg. I got it on at 10:30 at 225 deg. for one hour and then eased up to 350 deg. at grill level. I was using Cookin Pellets 100% hickory. It was done in a total of 3 hours 40 minutes. I basted it with some blackstrap molasses when it was 100 deg. and again at 120 deg. I let it cool at room temp and then covered and in the fridge until supper time.

I could never find molasses around here that was labeled blackstrap. All I could find was Grandma’s and Brer Rabbit. I always bought Grandma’s; I figured she knew more about molasses than a rabbit did!
I read up on molasses and found light syrup was from the first cooking of the sugar cane, dark syrup was from the second cooking and molasses was from the third. I am not sure if there is a difference between blackstrap and just regular molasses.

The wife and I were both hungry for a ham sandwich with mustard and dill pickle. I used some German rye bread; well it was Aunt Mille’s version of German rye! I sliced enough thin slices from the ham as thin as I could to make two good sandwiches. My sides were Bob Evans mac & cheese and some baby carrots I just about covered with water and boiled  until the water was gone added some brown sugar, salt, pepper and a touch of cumin.

All tasted great; the cook got all the end slices of ham! I will slice up the rest of the ham this afternoon; take some to my Mother, freeze some and save some out for more sandwiches.

My Smokin Deck

At 2 hours

Smokin Don
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 01:35:00 PM by Smokin Don »
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
Re: Double Smokied Ham
« on: December 16, 2013, 10:33:19 AM »
Ham looks perfect Don!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 11:26:29 AM »
Hamtastic!!    :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 11:30:48 AM »
Great looking plate.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 12:05:46 PM »
That is one tasty looking sammich!
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline hikerman

Re: Double Smoked Ham
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 02:44:29 PM »
Great looking ham Don! That's a sweet sandwich too with nice sides. I hope you had a good brew to wash it down with!
Ham was in the air this past weekend as I cooked one too. Wanted to smoke it but it was way too cold yesterday. Had to settle for indoor ham.  >:(

Offline pz

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 02:47:58 PM »
Mustard and pickle on a ham sandwich has my mouth watering - looks most excellent!!

Offline Pappymn

Double Smoked Ham
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 03:12:31 PM »
The blackstrap caught my eye. Bet that was tasty.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 03:15:15 PM »
Hold the pickle and that looks outstanding. 
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"