Author Topic: Breaded Pork Chops & A Question  (Read 2560 times)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Breaded Pork Chops & A Question
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2014, 01:58:04 PM »
Kraft makes a extra crispy oven bake breading. I saw it next to the shake n bake. The directions call for 425....sounds like pellet grill territory to me..........I gave the box the hairy eyeball and put it back.......gonna try it next weekend on some chicken thighs...
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2014, 06:28:47 PM »
Looks like a tasty meal, also the hotter the griddle/pan when you first put them on will help keep them from sticking.

I can second this one - however there is a fine line between too much heat and not enough.  Not enough and you'll experience the crust coming off the meat, and too much heat will sear the outside while leaving the interior too rare.  For me it is kind of like searing a steak (or any other meat for that matter) - choose a hot but not too hot temperature and then leave it alone in the pan until it releases itself.

One other thing I've noticed is that when you are cooking on the first side, moisture is released on the top, which tends to cause the crust on the top to become unstable and separate from the meat.

When trying to develop a crust of any kind, I'll always use thick cast iron, which retains heat the best so when the meat is flipped, significant temperature is not lost - this is the best way I've managed to keep the crust stable on both sides

Well put, couldn't agree more. When I flip I try to flip to a new spot in the pan or griddle so I don't have the heat loss same as I do when I flip a steak or chop.

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2014, 01:11:16 PM »
Great suggestions everyone, thank you!  Will do a little more experimenting-- I usually shy away from packaged 'novelties' like the S n' B, but since we had it in the cupboard, figured I'd give it a shot.  Tasted pretty darn good overall for being such an ancient box!  :) 

We've got a few more packages, so will see about messing around with them some more with my new-found techniques!  Definitely could have had the griddle hotter than I did, and that makes a lot of sense about the second side cooking differently than the first!

Ya'll are just a wealth of help! 
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2014, 02:02:02 PM »
Looks like a great meal!
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2014, 06:33:58 PM »
If you don't like box mixes you can make your own by seasoning panko bread crumbs or regular bread crumbs to make a nice breading or if you want fried chicken or chicken fried steak you can mix 2 parts flour and one part corn starch and get a very light and crispy crust, when I do this I usually season the meat and the flour mixture.

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2014, 07:28:09 PM »
 :P :P :P :P :P :P
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2014, 08:12:36 PM »
Looks like a tasty meal, also the hotter the griddle/pan when you first put them on will help keep them from sticking.

I can second this one - however there is a fine line between too much heat and not enough.  Not enough and you'll experience the crust coming off the meat, and too much heat will sear the outside while leaving the interior too rare.  For me it is kind of like searing a steak (or any other meat for that matter) - choose a hot but not too hot temperature and then leave it alone in the pan until it releases itself.

One other thing I've noticed is that when you are cooking on the first side, moisture is released on the top, which tends to cause the crust on the top to become unstable and separate from the meat.

When trying to develop a crust of any kind, I'll always use thick cast iron, which retains heat the best so when the meat is flipped, significant temperature is not lost - this is the best way I've managed to keep the crust stable on both sides

Well put, couldn't agree more. When I flip I try to flip to a new spot in the pan or griddle so I don't have the heat loss same as I do when I flip a steak or chop.

X3 on that suggestion.

Kat, Here's a MAK-specific suggestion. I find the MAK griddle seems to work better if I do these two things; remove the FlameZone covers on the left side and place the griddle over there.

The FlameZone drip pan is tilted up to the left so the heat rises better and if you let it come out of the FlameZone holes, it heats the griddle a lot more evenly.

At least it works better for me with my 1 Star that way.

Cliff
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2014, 11:27:11 AM »
Awesome, thank you Cliff!  Having it over the open flame zone would certainly help with amping that heat up-- I had it just on indirect around 350.    Will give it a try at the same grill temperature, but with the zone exposed under the griddle.

Thank you!   Now off to more pork chop adventures!!!!  :)

MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/