Tips, Tricks & Just Good Advice! > Ask A Butcher!

Need Roast Advice

(1/7) > >>

CDN Smoker:
There is a restaurant where i started going to as a child with my parents. My Dad always had the Kings cut prime rib. Later when I could handle it, I started to order the same. It is a massive hunk of beef with Yorkshire pudding. The Vegetables don't matter. The owner lost his restaurant (didn't know when to fold them  :(). He has since opened a smaller, not as fancy but still is doing prime rib.

Now I need the assistance of the butcher. Is a standing rib and a prime rib roast the same thing?

Now his roast always is supper tender, almost don't need a knife but just a fork. I'm assuming to get this tender it would be the same as doing a pork butt in a smoker but how would I go about this in an oven.

Has anyone done this? Open to all and any suggestions.

Thanks,
CDN

Rummm:
The standing rib and the prime rib are essentially the same thing.

I've always cooked my beef standing rib, prime rib, boneless rib, etc, at 325°......grill or oven and never had a tough piece of meat. Of course there are variations.......1) start at 400° for 30 minutes and then drop back to 325° 2) Reverse sear, start at 225° and finish at 450° and a myriad of other instructions along the way from  other folks.

For what you are looking for I'd put in the oven at 225° until you get about 10° away from your final finishing temp, remove from  the oven, then bump the oven to 450°, put the roast back in and finish it off.

Only thing that would ruin the rib would be to over cook it  :o

The 'Prime' Rib can be either boneless (Rib Eye roast) or with the bone-in (Standing Rib Roast). Technically speaking, a cow has 13 ribs, 1 to 13. 1-4 are left in the Chuck and #13 is left in the loin, leaving us ribs #5 thru #12.

All bone-in whole ribs come from the packer (in the US) with 7 rib bones. For reasons of familiartity and simple butcher talk, we will refer to them as ribs One (near the Loin) through 7 (next to the Chuck).

Also, for all intents and purposes, ONE rib will serve two 'normal' people.

For presentation and prettiness, the first three or four ribs (small end or loin end) will do the job. Less marbling and leaner, but still tasty and tender. They are also the 'prime' of the Rib, hence the name, which has nothing to do with the USDA Grading. However, I would always make sure it's Choice or Prime, no Select. The last three or four ribs (large end or Chuck end), 4-7 or 3-7, more marbling, more fat, less attractive, and in my opinion, MORE flavor. All the ribs roasts I cook are from near the Chuck end. If I get a three rib roast, I like ribs 4,5,6, a four rib roast 3,4,5,6. Nothing wrong with #7, it's just plain ugly (trimmed up it makes a nice steak for the grill).

CDN Smoker:
Many Thanks Mr. Rummm for taking the time. Greatly appreciate your comments ;D

smokeasaurus:
I forgot to send you a pm CDN Smoker that I moved your post to Ask a Butcher.  You can see by the fast informative response why I moved it here  :)

Ka Honu:
We had this discussion last year and the bottom line on cooking prime rib perfectly is to cook it low and slow (I do it in a 170o oven - as low as mine will go) till almost done.  Foil wrap and rest for 30-90 minutes.  Sear at end (500o for about 6 minutes).  Carve and eat.

Here's more than you need to know about prime rib and the resulting recipe, both from seriouseats.com.  If you have a sous vide setup, it's definitely worth exploring but I haven't got mine yet so won't talk more about that. Trust me on this one (but read the article and recipe to verify).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version