Tips, Tricks & Just Good Advice! > Ask A Butcher!

Need Roast Advice

<< < (2/7) > >>

TentHunteR:

--- Quote from: Rummm ---The last three or four ribs (large end or Chuck end), 4-7 or 3-7, more marbling, more fat, less attractive, and in my opinion, MORE flavor.
--- End quote ---

I agree. That end (sometimes called a Second Cut Rib Roast) is my favorite too, and usually costs less.

I like to coat it with a spicy brown mustard as a glue for the seasoning (salt, pepper, garlic powder & rosemary). The spicy mustard gives a nice hint of horseradish-like flavor to the coating.

That article Ka Honu referenced is the absolute best read I've ever seen on cooking prime rib, and it works best if you like your rib roast more on the rare to med-rare side. I used to follow it to a tee, but now I just cook at around 250° or so, take it off at about 132° - 134° and don't even bother with the final sear anymore. It gives us a nice upper end med-rare just the way our family likes it.

The rest period is CRITICAL! The best advice I was ever given (by scooter) was to stick a thermometer in it when you tent with foil and DO NOT cut into that roast until the temp has stabilized and just started to drop. That's how you know the muscle fibers are starting to relax and your roast will be tender and juicy beyond belief.

We also do strip loin using the exact same method.

Pappymn:
If buying a rib roast how would a person which end of the rib rack they are buying? Is it labeled?

muebe:
All those pictures of great looking roasts is driving me crazy!

Here is Phil's easy roast instructions...

Have the butcher remove the meat from the ribs and season well.  I use Awake-a-Steak.  Tie back on the ribs.  Have the exact weight. Dust the fat cap with flour and put in fridge. Keep in fridge until moved to the oven. When ready to roast, preheat oven to 500 degrees. Now do the math. 5 minutes per pound. 10 pounds equals 50 minutes. Take from fridge and put in oven and start timer for the amount of minutes needed. Be sure that you rest the roast on its ribs in the pan. When the time expires, turn off the oven.  Do not open the door for another 90 minutes. When finished you have a browned roast that is perfect med rare and very juicy.  Never fails. Try it just once.  Best  Phil

I have yet to try it but he told me it works every time! Man I sure miss that guy :'(

GusRobin:

--- Quote from: Ka Honu on February 05, 2014, 05:25:13 PM ---
Here's more than you need to know about prime rib and the resulting recipe, both from seriouseats.com. 

--- End quote ---

I've used this recipe for the last couple of years and always had a great roast. (with that said, Capt Jack's recipe seems interesting.)

CDN Smoker:

--- Quote from: smokeasaurus on February 05, 2014, 02:19:04 PM ---I forgot to send you a pm CDN Smoker that I moved your post to Ask a Butcher.  You can see by the fast informative response why I moved it here  :)

--- End quote ---

No Problem Smoke, I am sure others ask the same questions. Need to make posts easy to find.

Ka Honu, this is what I want to try. I have a digital Jenn-Air oven. I can do the 150F so this should be fun.

Capt, that roast colour is perfect. Did you cut garlic into the roast?

Tent, I'm going to start hunting for a 4 -7 standing rib

Pappy, good question.

Muebe, I have seen that one before. Going to try the low and slow first.

Gus, glad to hear someone else has tried this before.

Thanks fellas for all the great comments. Now time to start planning ;D

As the saying goes "If you fail to plan you plan to fail".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version