Author Topic: The Money Muscle?  (Read 8212 times)

Offline tnjimbob

• I'm a grillin & smokin' fool.
Re: The Money Muscle?
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2014, 10:24:48 AM »
Well said Hub & ACW3. The money muscle can be a great addition to pulled pork turn in boxes, both from a visual standpoint and give something else for judges to taste. I think a pork box that just has a pile of pulled meat in it is not very visually appealing, but I would never score it down from an appearance standpoint since the rule says "judge what is presented."

Having said that, as a competitor, you can do a lot more with sliced money muscle in a turn in box. I also like to eat sliced or chunked money muscle as it is usually very tender and flavorful.
Rec Tec pellet grill
Traeger Lil' Tex Elite 07E
Weber WSM
Weber SS Performer
Weber OTG w/ rotisserie
Char Broil SRG
A-maze-n-tube smoker
Hyperfast Orange Thermapen

Offline bigdaddydan

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2014, 10:42:45 AM »
ACW3 & Hub, as a judge can I get your input. The new KCBS rule that is instated for 2014, I'll be honest, I strongly dislike...no I hate it. As a pitmaster, the challenge of these KCBS competitions are about smoking and BBQ, not a grilling competition. This is just my opinion, but I think most people are truly going to focus on strictly money muscle in the box. Do you like the array of options? It's tough as a competitor because you don't know who your judges are and what their preference is. I've talked to some that hates sliced pork but love pulled. I hate talked to some the hate pulled and love sliced and chunks. My box usually consists of pulled, slices, chunks, and plugs. Does this many options hurt or help me?

Offline Hub

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2014, 11:10:02 AM »
ACW3 & Hub, as a judge can I get your input. The new KCBS rule that is instated for 2014, I'll be honest, I strongly dislike...no I hate it. As a pitmaster, the challenge of these KCBS competitions are about smoking and BBQ, not a grilling competition. This is just my opinion, but I think most people are truly going to focus on strictly money muscle in the box. Do you like the array of options? It's tough as a competitor because you don't know who your judges are and what their preference is. I've talked to some that hates sliced pork but love pulled. I hate talked to some the hate pulled and love sliced and chunks. My box usually consists of pulled, slices, chunks, and plugs. Does this many options hurt or help me?

The "old" rule was inducing a great deal of sameness in the pork category.  The intent of the change is to induce some creativity.  Whether it will work or not I don't know.  However, I'm willing to see what turns up.  Both judges and cooks will have to adapt and get used to some different approaches.  That causes trouble for some.  I've heard a few cooks say they won't make any changes to their recipes or approaches immediately and that makes some sense if one has been consistently getting walks.

As I wrote in one of my Bull Sheet articles last fall, there is a somewhat numbing "contest style" of food that has evolved and those who get too far away from its dictates often do so at their own peril because judges, too, are in the same rut.  So, for now, I'm hopeful we'll see an increased level of creativity in the pork category.  If we don't (and that could happen) then the change will have been a noble experiment nonetheless.

My advice:  Hide and watch.  If you're already producing good pork you really have nothing to fear.  It is as likely to get good scores as it ever has, at least in the short run.  In the long run, if the rule holds, we'll see at best some interesting variations or, at worst, another "contest style" develop.  The jury is out  ;)

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2014, 11:43:23 AM »
Lots of discussion of the money muscle which I'm greatly enjoying.

A member on a another site posted some good pics and description that may of helped. Unfortunately I was unable to find it :(

I did find more questions;
How to properly prepare a Butt for smoking, this can either be for the home or comp cook.
The Gland how to locate and remove.
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline Old Dave

• Wood & Charcoal is the only Fuel
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2014, 01:26:36 PM »
Pork Boxes

Old Dave
Ribs & Bibs Competition Cooking Team

3 Backwoods--3 Big Green Eggs--2 Char-Broils
1 Cobb--1 Original Fast Eddy Pellet Cooker
1 Traeger & 2 Green Mountain Pellet Cookers
1 Genuswine Rotisserie Smoker--2 Hasty Bakes
1 Orion Cooker--6 Webers--Several Homebuilts

Offline aliengriller

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2014, 01:42:06 PM »
WOW! Dave.   That looks fantastic and now you've got my stomach growling and gurgling!   I know it tastes as good as it looks.  Nice job.

Offline bigdaddydan

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2014, 03:47:42 PM »
Hopefully I get quoting thing right without breaking rules, but I just want to educate those asking and keep it here too.

CDN, to answer one of your questions, the first picture (from Sausagemaker.com) attached is that bitter gland on a bone in butt. You definitely want to make sure you cut that one out; it's nasty. There's also a vein along the top of the Money muscle that you want to get out too. To answer your next question about how to prepare a pork butt for home or competition is going to be more questions. When I cook at home, I don't cook like I do in competitions because of rules, which changed this year and I'm still playing with that. When it comes to competition, you need to understand how this meat breaks down. There are muscles such as:
-Money Muscle
-Horn (shown in the third picture from Bill Anderson of www.bbqsuccess.com)
-Tubes (shown in the second picture from a master bbq teacher Malcom Reed of Killer Hogs)
-Loin
-Flower
Each of these muscles has a different flavor and texture. When I cook for a competition, I cook 3 sometimes 4 butts, each of them has their own purpose. Money muscles are sliceable at one temp (190-194), pulled is ready at 198-204 (depending on the butt), tubes are done at another temp depending on how you want to present them. I have gotten to the point where if managed properly and cooked properly, you can manage 2 butts and still beat some of the best out there. We've walked quite a bit in pork this past year and I don't plan on changing anything. When it comes to home, I slice off the money muscle completely and cook it separate from the rest of the butt. One thing that I can tell you is buy a bone-in butt, throw on a pair of gloves, and use your hands to show you the break down of a pork butt. Many times you only need a knife to trim off the fat. And remember that bark is your friend, expose that red meat and season it up, get some pink smoke rings on that meat. If it's white, cut it off. Smoke and rub can't penetrate fat, it just renders off. Probably more than you wanted, but there's so much to learn about pork.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2014, 06:09:08 PM »
Thanks for the pics Dave I was going to ask if anyone had some box photos. They look awesome ;D

Bigdaddydan,
Can never have enough information. The more you take in hopefully some will stick.

I'm not new to smoking forums but pointing out the vein and why it needs to be removed it new to me. I don't remember anyone talking about this before.

You have passed along a lot of info to research and absorb. I'm sure I will have a few more questions.

What I'm doing now is taking the bone in butt, trimming the fat cap down to about 1/4", Injecting and rub. I have tried the foil but Honey don't like the bark so I refrain from foiling. Honey gets what's honey wants if CDN wants toys without noise ;D

I will still inject but I will try your idea of taking all the fat off to produce a better bark.

Many Thanks and Greatly Appreciated,
CDN
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2014, 06:14:11 PM »
Hopefully I get quoting thing right without breaking rules, but I just want to educate those asking and keep it here too.

CDN, to answer one of your questions, the first picture (from Sausagemaker.com) attached is that bitter gland on a bone in butt. You definitely want to make sure you cut that one out; it's nasty. There's also a vein along the top of the Money muscle that you want to get out too. To answer your next question about how to prepare a pork butt for home or competition is going to be more questions. When I cook at home, I don't cook like I do in competitions because of rules, which changed this year and I'm still playing with that. When it comes to competition, you need to understand how this meat breaks down. There are muscles such as:
-Money Muscle
-Horn (shown in the third picture from Bill Anderson of www.bbqsuccess.com)
-Tubes (shown in the second picture from a master bbq teacher Malcom Reed of Killer Hogs)
-Loin
-Flower
Each of these muscles has a different flavor and texture. When I cook for a competition, I cook 3 sometimes 4 butts, each of them has their own purpose. Money muscles are sliceable at one temp (190-194), pulled is ready at 198-204 (depending on the butt), tubes are done at another temp depending on how you want to present them. I have gotten to the point where if managed properly and cooked properly, you can manage 2 butts and still beat some of the best out there. We've walked quite a bit in pork this past year and I don't plan on changing anything. When it comes to home, I slice off the money muscle completely and cook it separate from the rest of the butt. One thing that I can tell you is buy a bone-in butt, throw on a pair of gloves, and use your hands to show you the break down of a pork butt. Many times you only need a knife to trim off the fat. And remember that bark is your friend, expose that red meat and season it up, get some pink smoke rings on that meat. If it's white, cut it off. Smoke and rub can't penetrate fat, it just renders off. Probably more than you wanted, but there's so much to learn about pork.

You have won the "Post of the Day Award" Dan!  ;D
Awesome job - and look at what great info you brought to LTBBQ. Quality members...Quality information. Nice how that goes together  - huh? ;)
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline bigdaddydan

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2014, 07:16:35 PM »
Wow, didn't see that coming at all. Thank you Teesquare. Just trying to help answer someone's questions to the best of my ability with giving away too many of our trade secrets.

CDN Smoker, for myself I don't trim down the fat cap except for under the horn and the money muscle.  I could understand the bark part, have you tried wrapping in butchers paper. It softens the bark just a hint because it breaths, but still does close to what the foil does.

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2014, 07:50:09 PM »
Bigdaddydan, in the 2nd picture.  Is the money muscle to the left of the tubes?
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2014, 09:59:31 PM »
What unbelievable information.  Much more than I ever knew existed. 

I want this to be a demonstration at the Fall Gathering this year. ( I should have a date within a week or so).  So, hopefully someone who understands this can give us some instruction in person.  Uncle Dave, you up to that?

Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline RAD

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2014, 07:13:21 AM »
This is great info, I never know there was so much to a pork butt. Now I have something new to try.
Love to cook and eat

Offline bigdaddydan

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2014, 07:22:28 AM »
Bigdaddydan, in the 2nd picture.  Is the money muscle to the left of the tubes?

That is the money muscle to the left of the tube. Not the best picture of a money muscle from a side cut perspective, but in comparison to location yes.

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2014, 07:46:28 PM »
Old Dave the pics of pork in those boxes are just beautiful.
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,