Author Topic: Broil King Baron 320 S  (Read 9365 times)

Offline Iceman567

Broil King Baron 320 S
« Reply #-1 on: February 18, 2014, 01:39:11 PM »
In my search for a new grill, a retailer near me sells Broil King along with the Webers and other high end cookers.
 I looked at this model http://broilkingbbq.com/grills/baron-series/baron-320-S.html for $349.00.

Searched the Forum here and nothing came up. Any opinions or anybody have a friend of a friend who has one? It's made in Canada not China.

It's just my wife and I, we grill once a week with the usual steaks, chops, etc. No big grilling parties or anything like that. A grill this size probably works for us.

TIA
Bacon? Did somebody say Bacon?
Broil King Baron
Weber Smoky Joe
Cuisinart portable gasser.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: Broil King Baron 320 S
« on: February 18, 2014, 02:45:23 PM »
Looks like a nice grill! Don't know too much about it.

I know you can't go wrong with a Weber ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 03:08:23 PM »
  I wrote some first reviews on a Broil King Baron 4 burner a couple weeks ago. Look at Broil King 4 Burner under the Gas heading of this site. Its awaiting it's new home and I decided to give it a once over. Now that it has been a couple weeks I can re-evaluate it. I realize this is a four burner but the quality should be about the same.   
1. It's a good grill so far. It will get up to 600 degrees in 10-15 minutes with outside temps in the 50's. All four burners on high..  Keeping a given temp on it seems pretty easy now that I have practiced some. 
I am use to a Char Broil Red which cooks faster and has no flare up issues.  So it took me a couple cooks to get back to controlling those flare-ups. With that said this grill seems to be built well for the price range. The burners seem good quality as does the whole top end. The bottom is typical thin painted metal just like everyone else's these days.
 The cast iron grids are very nice, They have a thin side for searing and a wide flip side for foods like fish. I was afraid they were going to be hard to clean and went out of my way to season them very thoroughly. So far they are getting easier to clean each time. I think a few of the folks on here are correct in that the addition of Grill Grates might bring this grill up to an 8 or 9 out of 10 rating. (In this price range).  They would improve most any grill I think.
 What I've noticed about this and most other gas grills is that the vent across the back of the hood is WAY to large. They let huge amounts of heat escape that could be better and save on gas if they were smaller.  I intend on modifying it to about 25% of what it is now and seeing how that works.  I already done this with my CB Red. I just use a cast iron griddle leaned up against the back. The MB I plan on cutting and bending a  piece of metal and bolting it on.
 Don't let that turn you away. I would do it to almost any grill on the market I have seen.
 The Baron is made in Indiana! Some models are made in Canada but all use North American steel. That's a big plus in my opinion.
 Wish I could compare it to a Webber for you.  Just looking at both in this price range I think it will easily hold its on...

Hope this helps
Terry
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline Iceman567

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 04:48:33 PM »
Thanks for the input Terry. I was never a grilling 'aficionado', throw some burgers, steaks on the grill, cook them, eat them LOL. But after reading some posts here most people take their grilling serious.  ;)

Had Charbroils in the past, worked OK for our needs. The last one I had the box was constructed out of 3/16" aluminum, replaced the burners on it and it held up well.

It will probably be a coin toss between the Weber and Broil King. Will definitely replace the grates with the 'GrillGrates'.

Thanks again.
Broil King Baron
Weber Smoky Joe

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 08:37:07 PM »
 Ok , This is last nights meal from BK...  I think I have the hang of it now pretty good. Baked a sweet potato, roasted a tomato a ed and orange peppers, seared and finshed the chops. .check out those grill marks... And a new one for me. Grilled cabbage, awesome way to cook it.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Pappymn

Broil King Baron 320 S
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 08:59:44 PM »
Those are beautiful chops!
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Iceman567

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 09:37:45 PM »
Broil King Baron
Weber Smoky Joe

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 11:39:37 PM »
Great looking chops.   ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 11:43:59 PM »
I would have never put cabbages on the grill, something new to try.

Really good looking chops ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline Iceman567

Broil King Baron 320 S Update
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 08:43:35 PM »
Picked up the new grill today  ;D

Went with the Broil King 340. This is the model with the 10,000 btu sideburner.

Going from an OLD Charbroil to this is akin to going from a Yugo to a Cadillac. LOL.

Did up some chops tonight, going to have to experiment with the temp settings.

Broil King Baron
Weber Smoky Joe

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 09:04:15 PM »
Good looking grill. Can't wait to see your cooks ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 10:15:07 PM »
 I look forward to your reviews... I'm really liking this one more and more, soon it will have to go to it's new home though... I have used the webber non stick spray for every cook so far after seasoning it well at first. They are really preforming well.

Tonight I did salmon on it.

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
Re: Broil King Baron 320 S Update
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2014, 10:16:15 PM »
I like that stainless !!!
Picked up the new grill today  ;D

Went with the Broil King 340. This is the model with the 10,000 btu sideburner.

Going from an OLD Charbroil to this is akin to going from a Yugo to a Cadillac. LOL.

Did up some chops tonight, going to have to experiment with the temp settings.

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2014, 09:13:29 AM »
Looks good!
Every one can use a good gasser.
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline Iceman567

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2014, 06:45:14 PM »
Looks good!
Every one can use a good gasser.

Next on the list...a smoker.
Had a Brinkman smoker years ago. Chicken was my fav.
Broil King Baron
Weber Smoky Joe