Author Topic: Serrated or straight edge steak knives?  (Read 16402 times)

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
Serrated or straight edge steak knives?
« Reply #-1 on: March 15, 2014, 07:30:06 PM »
I've noticed sometimes when I cut meat with a serrated edged steak knife it has a tendency to tear rather than cut.  What is y'all experience and which do you prefer?  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline Northshore

Serrated or straight edge steak knives?
« on: March 15, 2014, 08:29:52 PM »
Got rid of serrated ones. Straight edge cuts better and can always be touched up with a steel.
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
― Mahatma Gandhi

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: Serrated or straight edge steak knives?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 08:37:28 PM »
The only serrated knife I use is a bread knife.

They tend to leave jagged cuts on meat. Not so good for presentation.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline pz

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 08:51:19 PM »
I use serrated, but with very fine teeth

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 08:57:20 PM »
The only serrated knife I use is a bread knife.

They tend to leave jagged cuts on meat. Not so good for presentation.

X2

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 09:22:48 PM »
I use a serrated for poultry and bread.
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 11:04:14 PM »
I never use serrated on meat, I only use serrated to slice bread and tomatoes.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 12:15:31 AM »
I semi, sorta, feel the same as y'all but I was watching a TV program about steak houses and that big expensive one in NYC, Lugar's  or something like that, uses serrated.  Not only that, they bring the steaks right from the cooker to the table sizzilin' hot with no resting.  I'm gonna get me a good set of straight edge steak Knives. 
Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 01:16:30 AM »
dee - Use a sous vide system and sear after cooking and you won't need to rest the meat. It will also likely be tender enough to cut with a table knife so you won't have to buy expensive steak knives.

OBTW, the owner & chef at Peter Luger admit that theirs may not be the best way to prepare and serve a steak but it's the way they've always done it. We're talking about a restaurant that's been in business for over 125 years and I'm guessing that a steak sliced in the kitchen and dripping in juices still has a certain visual and emotional appeal to their customers.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline RAD

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2014, 06:34:10 AM »
I think I've always used serrated knifes. I remember that I went and bought some nice steak knives and they were also serrated, after a couple of years I had to toss them because of the way they were tearing the meat. I got a knife set in the wood block thing and the steak knives are serrated and I've been using them for a couple of years without any issues, could be because they have very fine teeth.
Love to cook and eat

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2014, 08:57:05 AM »
Before you throw away or not use those serrated knives, you might want to look at having them sharpened or purchase a sharpener that does both straight edge and serrated knives. I bought mine on Amazon.com and for a very reasonable price and sharpened my serrated knives and result was better than expected. I figured that if it did not work, I was no different than before I started. Now, I am much better off and get a nice smooth cut with these knives. They actually perform better than new.

Don't cut your self. I always touch my self on the finger to feel the blade. Didn't realize how sharp they were and and cut myself with hardly any pressure at all.

Presto 08800 EverSharp Electric Knife Sharpener - $25.99 - with Prime it ships for free in 2 days. It received a rating of 4.4 out of 5 with 1330 reviews.

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2014, 10:09:01 AM »
Before you throw away or not use those serrated knives, you might want to look at having them sharpened or purchase a sharpener that does both straight edge and serrated knives. I bought mine on Amazon.com and for a very reasonable price and sharpened my serrated knives and result was better than expected. I figured that if it did not work, I was no different than before I started. Now, I am much better off and get a nice smooth cut with these knives. They actually perform better than new.

Don't cut your self. I always touch my self on the finger to feel the blade. Didn't realize how sharp they were and and cut myself with hardly any pressure at all.

Presto 08800 EverSharp Electric Knife Sharpener - $25.99 - with Prime it ships for free in 2 days. It received a rating of 4.4 out of 5 with 1330 reviews.

Ed

Ed that is the exact same knife sharpener I use and it works really well but I did not know it can sharpen serrated knives.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2014, 10:36:41 AM »
For steak, I like serrated (for bite size pieced that is).  For any real cutting (slicing brisket for example), I use straight edge.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline RAD

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2014, 10:58:54 AM »
I got one of theses at Ace awhile back and it really works for me. I didn't know it works on serrated as well

http://www.amazon.com/AccuSharp-1-001-Knife-Sharpener/dp/B00004VWKQ/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1394980488&sr=8-5&keywords=knife+sharpener

Anyone try it?
Love to cook and eat

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2014, 11:11:25 AM »

Ed

Ed that is the exact same knife sharpener I use and it works really well but I did not know it can sharpen serrated knives.

Read the description on Amazon and reviews plus direction book.  Works for me.

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.